Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
calcium supplements
      #160924 - 03/16/05 03:08 AM
rach46

Reged: 11/17/04
Loc: Israel

Hi
recently I did a test for osteoporosis as i had a feeling that I might be a candidate even though Im only 47 - (non dairy diet, thin and little exercise). Sure enough the test showed that Im a borderline case. Ive started to take calcium and Vitamin D supplements - but they make me feel a bit nauseous. i dont know if this is just my general dislike of taking "drugs" /supplements or whether this is how someone with IBS feels. has anyone else had this problem? Please advise because i know I have to take them.
Rachel

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: calcium supplements new
      #160926 - 03/16/05 03:12 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I haven't had that problem...although if I don't have enough liquid with my supplements, the after taste makes me nauseous.

But have you thought about having soy milk fortified with calcium? It's pretty common and is great for preventing osteoporosis as the soy has an oestrogen-like effect (forgetten the names ).

Re: calcium supplements new
      #160930 - 03/16/05 03:41 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

I take calcium +D supplements, and luckily this isn't something that has made me nauseous. And, I get nauseated very easily. Are you taking them with food? I always take mine at the end of a meal. They are better absorbed that way, and may help with the nausea, if you're taking them on an empty stomach.

Here's how I solved that same problem.... new
      #160940 - 03/16/05 05:35 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

I have tried Calcium supplements several times, only to throw them back up within a few minutes. When I began to learn the benefits of Calcium for IBS, I wanted to try again. My first shot was a Calcium/Magnesium (2:1 ratio) liquid supplement by Lifetime. That worked well, but was a little pricey. So, I began researching and found that Chelated minerals are easier to absorb. I found another 2:1 Cal/Mag mix that was Chelated and voila! Problem solved! I do take small amounts (250mg ca) throughout the day with my meals and have no problem at all. I hope this helps. There are several reputable supplement brands that sell the Chelated mineral combinations, so you should be able to find something reasonably priced as well.

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 960 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 591

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review