All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Immodium
      #160813 - 03/15/05 03:34 PM
Honey_bun

Reged: 03/09/05
Loc: Canada!

Hey! I am IBS-D and i take Immodium a lot to stop my D. I was wondering if any one else uses a lot of immodium and if you find it helps?
thanks
honey_bun

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Immodium new
      #160842 - 03/15/05 04:35 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I take Imodium and love it. It's really gone a long way towards making me stable in the last 10 years. I've had IBS for 22 years, with painful gas and explosive D. It was debilitating as a child because I had D every day I ate. At one point I stopped eating because no food in means no food out. Not a great way to live your life, let me tell you!

So I discovered Imodium a while back when I had the liquid kind in the emergency room, and I've never looked back. Can't really stomach the liquid really, but the pills work great. The best part is they make Imodium Advanced, which contains the active ingredient in the regular kind (loperamide 2mg) PLUS an anti-gas agent (simethicone) which is great if gassy foods jumpstart your D like it does mine.

Here's another post on this: Imodium post -- if you do a search you're sure to find more. I take between 6-20 a day and I'm very stable as a result. You can't OD on it, though it might make you sleepy at higher doses. Works great as a preventative if you take it before a suspect meal!

Good luck to you!

~nelly~

#160849 - 03/15/05 04:56 PM
Honey_bun

Thanks so much for your reply! So when you said you take 6-20 a day, do u mean 6-20 pills a day? Because that seems like a lot!
thanks!

#160851 - 03/15/05 04:59 PM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I use it at least once daily, depending on how i feel. If I am having an unsafe feeling day (where I get the rumbling, pain and think I might get D) or have something important to do I take them with every meal at least 3 times a day. Otherwise I take one in the morning when I get up and then if I feel I need it throughout the day.

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

#160853 - 03/15/05 05:10 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

At one point a few years ago, I used to take it almost daily. Now, I can't even remember the last time I took it. Maybe last year sometime?

But anyway, yeah it used to help a lot. I wouldn't leave the house without it. Just the thought of not having any with me gave me D!

#160859 - 03/15/05 05:33 PM
Honey_bun

WoW! Now i know i am not alone whenever i take my immodium! I cannot (underline cannot !) leave the house without it..i have to have it! Thanks a lot guys! You've helped alot!
p.s. Does anyone find that the immodium makes u have a bm like weekly, instead of daily like other people?
Honey_bun
thanks again!

#160922 - 03/16/05 03:02 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

If you're having a bm weekly, then you're taking too much Immodium! You have to be careful with the dose if you're A.

I took one tablet daily for months, with extra if I had bad attacks, but more than 2 tablets in one day made me C. Everyone's tolerance levels are different, but BMing weekly is not good for you!

The pill breakdown! new
      #161109 - 03/16/05 10:55 AM
Nelly

Yep, about 6-20 a day is how many pills I take! Here's the breakdown:

5:50am: 2 pills when I wake up
10am: 3 pills before I eat my breakfast, in case there's anything suspect in it!
12:15pm: 2 pills before a meal, 2 pills afterwards IF I get the beginning rumblings of an attack
4pm: If I have an attack, I'll take 3 pills when it starts, and maybe 2 when it ends to make sure it's not going to come back
6pm: 1 pill before dinner
After 6, before bedtime: If I get an attack, or the previous one comes back, I'll take maybe 4 more to either stop the attack or make the bm more solid rather than liquid for easier passage. Hurts less that way.

If I eat less (like work through lunch, or skip dinner) I'll take less pills. So the total varies.

Doesn't seem like a lot to me, though, because it's just what I do to keep stable so I don't have to take the risk of having an attack. Every time I have a BM, I could start having an attack, so I prefer to only go every 6-10 days or so.

This cycle keeps me very stable and lets me have an occasional beer, go out to eat with my friends, etc. When I cook for myself though, I only eat stable foods (kinda makes it special when I go out to the restaurant and have something that's not on my safe list )!

~nelly~

Quality of life and personal choice! new
      #161110 - 03/16/05 11:01 AM
Nelly

I've been stable on this cycle, BMing every 6-10 days for years and I'm perfectly healthy! It's a personal decision that I take the consequences for (weight gain, yea!!) but it's not wrong or unhealthy! I get iron tests, glucose levels, kidney function and urinalisis done regularily and don't take supplements except calcium and I'm fine!

Of course I'm not an A. I'm a D!

~nelly~

Re: Quality of life and personal choice! new
      #161183 - 03/16/05 01:12 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I wasn't saying that you can't be healthy doing that, I just meant that it's better for your bod and more natural to go more often than once a week!

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1236 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8088

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review