All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
migraines-IBS????
      #160521 - 03/14/05 04:01 PM

Reged: 01/05/05

I have been suffering from terrible migraines (have not had them in a while) and was wondering if IBS and migraines are related? My head is ready to blow off!!! HELP!!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: migraines-IBS???? new
      #160627 - 03/15/05 02:33 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Migraines and IBS are both functional disorders in that there isn't (yet) a simple test to take to prove you have them! They are both also possibly linked to problems with neurotransmitter chemicals.

Also, if you have Fibro, you are likely to have both.

I find that a migraine gave me D even before I got IBS.

#160646 - 03/15/05 05:30 AM

I am going to see an ENT dr. to see if I am having sinus problems - iboprohen has not helped at all - migraines run in my family so maybe I have inherited (wow) that!! My dad is on inderal (betablocker) and does not have headaches anymore. We shall see what the dr. says but it is sure painfull!!!

#160651 - 03/15/05 06:14 AM
Linz

Ibuprofen is rarely a stron enough painkiller to deal with migraines. You can get great preventatives (NOT betablockers) now..and Imigran is a great drug.

Re: Imigran?? new
      #160794 - 03/15/05 02:21 PM

I have never heard of that drug. Whwat is it - over the counter?? I have tried imitrex before (prescribed by dr) but did not help.

#160966 - 03/16/05 06:46 AM
Linz

Yeah that's it. It works for everyone who has migraines (my FIl helped develop it so I've been given the low-down ). HOWEVER, it only works if you take it at the right stage in your migraine. For me, that means I have to wait until I feel really nauseous and by that time I'm in ALOT of pain, but it then works great. I took it first years and years ago and thought it didn't work for me b/c my doc at the time told me to take as soon as I knew I was getting a migraine - at that stage, my bod isn't actually in full-blown migraine mode (even tho I can know for sure I'm getting one), so the drug didn't work.

It's a great drug...if you can work out when you need to take it! For me, although I have to wait until I'm feeling really ill, it means I no longer have full-blown migraines lasting for hours and hours (mine used to last all day/night)...once I pop that pill I know I'll be fine in a couple of hours.

#161235 - 03/16/05 03:49 PM

Is that a drug sold in England? Again I need to confirm -IBS does NOT cause migraines does it???

Causes new
      #161255 - 03/16/05 04:31 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I don't think anyone knows enough about IBS OR migraines to know if one causes the other....

Chronic illnesses are tough to figure out. I think the most that ca be said is that there might be a correlation between there two. But i don't think there is a HIGH correlation as not everyone with migraines has IBS and vise versa.

It would def. be a great study tho! Maybe we'll know more one day...

I get migraines. I take feverfew for them. You can get it at HFS.

I also use wet wash clothes, do nasal washes, and I drink a strong ginger tea for nausea. I also put peppermint oil on a cloth on my back and I smeel the oil and drink loads of peppermint tea (if my reflx allows).

Feel better soon *hugs*

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#161342 - 03/17/05 12:46 AM
Linz

Imigran is the same as Imitrex - both are rx as far as I know.

As Ruchie said, the causes of IBS and migraines aren't yet well enough understood for us to be able to give you a definite answer. All I CAN say is that any stress makes either one of them worse and a migraine or IBS attack is a pretty horrible stress on your body. So I find migraines make my IBS worse, b/c my body's stressed out. And that could be truce vice versa.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6527 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1213

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review