All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
stable-cheat
      #160456 - 03/14/05 01:23 PM

Reged: 01/05/05

Once anyone is pretty stable and then they cheat a bit, does the pain (gas)come back as quickly?

I am trying to stabilze but I do seem to cheat once in a while!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: stable-cheat new
      #160460 - 03/14/05 01:35 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

For me it's more that I get less symptoms from the cheat food than I did before I stabilised, eg. a bit of gas instead of major cramps and D. Cheating before you are stable will really slow the stabilising process down.

Sinead's "rules" of cheating when stable new
      #160487 - 03/14/05 02:29 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

I was way too scared to cheat til I was stable! But recently I have cheated a lot and different types of isolated cheating has given different results. Keep it rare and stick to my cheating "rules" and you hopefully will be OK, it has worked for me. I haven't gotten the "doubled over" abdominal pain that I had constantly before I stabilised since. Note that I have only had red meat once when I couldn't get out of it (friend made dinner and all choices were incredibly unsafe) and it did bring on some D and cramping..

My cheating "rules" are as follows;

1. NEVER cheat on an empty stomach

2. Don't overdo the cheat eg a steak with fries and cheese sauce! Have a piece of steak or some fries with your normal safe meal.

3. beware alcohol cheating- this is my most frequent cheat and I only do it when it is sooo worth it...it WILL give you C/D and stomach ache if you overdo it and with some drinks even if you only have half a glass (beer is bad )

4. Each cheat will have side effects- like wind, urgency etc so be prepared for whatever it is.

5. Don't cheat constantly or you will destabilise

6 ONLY CHEAT IF YOU ARE STABLE

--------------------
S.

Edited by cailin (03/15/05 04:40 AM)

Re: Sinead's "rules" of cheating when stable new
      #160489 - 03/14/05 02:35 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Ha! I love your rules Sinead!

The funny thing is I kinda follow the same guidlines. As a matter of fact, I'm going out Thurs night for St. Patty's and I've scheduled Friday as a feel-like-crap day to recover. (rule 4)

great rules! new
      #160495 - 03/14/05 03:07 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Quote:

I was way too scared to cheat til I was stable! But recently I have cheated a lot and different types of isolated cheating has given different results. Keep it rare and stick to my cheating "rules" and you hopefully will be OK, it has worked for me. I haven't gotten the "doubled over" abdominal pain that I had constantly before I stabilised since. Note that I have only had red meat once when I couldn't get out of it (friend made dinner and all choices were incredibly unsafe) and it did bring on some D and cramping..

My cheating "rules" are as follows;

1. NEVER cheat on an empty stomach

2. Don't overdo the cheat eg a steak with fries and cheese sauce! Have a piece of steak or some fries with your normal safe meal.
Right. I cheat regularly in very small amounts. But Heather mentions this in her writings so I never considered not doing it. I will have 1T. of cheese or 2 bites of dessert or 2 bites of steak and that sort of thing. But on a full stomach and with a LOW FAT meal and not too often either.

3. beware alcohol cheating- this is my most frequent cheat and I only do it when it is sooo worth it...it WILL give you C/D and stomach ache if you overdo it and with some drinks even if you only have half a glass (beer is bad )

4. Each cheat will have side effects- like wind, urgency etc so be prepared for whatever it is. accidental cheats (when I don't realize what is in something etc) give me D usually.

5. Don't cheat constantly or you will destabilise

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#160555 - 03/14/05 05:11 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Sinead these are great!

However (for 9804 and others hwo are not stabilized ) keep in mind that these should be for AFTER you're stabilized - as Linz said, cheating now will throw all your hard work out the window. Stay strong until you're stabilized (or, most likely, you won't GET stabilized) then allow yourself a little cheating here and there.

#160557 - 03/14/05 05:19 PM

Reged: 01/05/05

What if you really never stabilize? I hate to think that but everyone is different! And I am scared!

Everyone should stabilise eventually new
      #160625 - 03/15/05 02:29 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

But for some people it takes longer, either b/c their triggers are complex or their responses are hard to pin down (a big problem for Cers). Or b/c in some people there is another problem (like a food intolerance) that is causing extra problems.

#160642 - 03/15/05 04:41 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

I have edited my rules as I wasn't clear enough that you should ONLY CHEAT WHEN STABLE. I had it in my intro paragraph but per what Linz and Laurel said I have added it as a sixth rule, in red ink.

--------------------
S.

Re: stable-cheat new
      #239201 - 01/17/06 12:38 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I will be cheating tonight, and not with a beer.
Or even a glass of wine, which I've cheated with before without an attack.

However, tonight's celebration calls for a margarita or maybe I'll try a martini instead (never had one).

Anyone have any...I don't know...tips for mixed drinks that won't be horrific? Any additional tips for cheating?

Thanks.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3071 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 14233

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review