All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Gerds advice.... new
      #160101 - 03/13/05 08:12 AM
nikjones_uk

Reged: 01/04/05

I've been gerdy for a couple of days, does anyone have any advice re best things to eat/drink prior to going to the docs for meds? I've been on the Zantac and although its calmed down loads, I still keep getting the mild heart attack feelings...heeelp?!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Gerds advice.... new
      #160121 - 03/13/05 10:04 AM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

GERD can be a real pain in the neck eh? I've got it too, and basically I'd just recommend staying away from any of the real triggers: Coffee/tea, spices, carbonated beverages, onions, tomatoes, alcoholic beverages, pepper, citrus fruits, fried/fatty foods, chocolate, peppermint. I took that list from Nexium's website which gives a lot of tips for dealing with GERD if you want to check it out: http://www.purplepill.com/wellness/42.tipstriggers.asp

Also, have you talked to your doc at all about switching medication? I was on Zantac as well for quite a few years, but I switched last year to a proton-pump inhibitor and it works way better. Nexium is one of those...I took that for a little while but it is really expensive so now I'm on a different one. There's quite a few out there and the side-effects are relatively minimal, so maybe it'd be something to talk to your doc about.

Hope you feel better soon

Re: Gerds advice.... new
      #160123 - 03/13/05 10:24 AM
DeeSingleton

Reged: 01/11/05
Loc: Indiana, USA

I was just diagnosed with GERDS on Wednesday!! I was MISERABLE, I mean really miserable for a few days, I kept popping TUMS (or another chewable antacid) and eating very "bready" foods and drinking water. When I went to the doctor, they prescribed me Aciphex and I'm already feeling better. I got frustrated at first b/c it seemed like it did nothing for a few days, but slowly I started to see improvement. I have my appetite back but still being careful.

The people on the board, especially Linz really helped me through it b/c I had never experienced this before and really needed some advice.

Hope you start to feel better. I know how I felt for 3 days and I DO NOT want to feel that way again!

Re: Gerds advice....
      #160143 - 03/13/05 01:42 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I think Nik knows the Zantac is just the best OTC thing...that's why you're going to the doc for meds, right? I loved Lansoprazole which is one of the proton pump inhibitors (check out Medicine Net for great info - just look in the medications sections for any of the names, eg. lansoprazole).

Kelly gave some great food advice. Alot of the GERDs triggers are IBS triggers anyway (inc. cold drinks, carbonated drinks, etc)...you just have to add anything acidic (tomatoes, citrus) and anything spicy to the list.

Soy milk, SF foods and Acacia work great for my GERDs.

Absolutely... new
      #160243 - 03/13/05 10:47 PM
nikjones_uk

Have been on Zantac for the last couple of days - a question for you, does stress trigger it off for you and another quessie, is it true that its dangerous if left untreated? That scares me a bit, I read it in another Gerd thread (gulp)...

Re: Absolutely... new
      #160259 - 03/14/05 03:11 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Yup, stress is a major trigger.

And GERDs can be dangerous if left untreated as all that acid basically scars your insides, plus you are at higher risk of developing ulcers. But don't worry, you're going to get it treated - it's not an emergency situation thing, just a problem if you live with it for ages and ages.

thanks... new
      #160260 - 03/14/05 03:18 AM
nikjones_uk

Makes sense coz all of this stress I've been under lately is deffo not helping!!

Cool - I have had it for ages, before I got diagnosed I had no appetite for about a year! Ah, glad I'm out of that relationship that was causing it then!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 288 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 686

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review