Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Normafibre - Australians
      #158510 - 03/08/05 08:51 PM
bevp

Reged: 04/01/03
Loc: Brisbane Australia

Hi,

Unfortunately I recently had a relapse after having a nice clear IBS free run for several months. I'm back to being free and clear again but had to see my gastroenterologist a month or so ago.

I am IBS D and have never really found a soluble fibre supplement that has suited me. I have tried them all, including acacia, but none have really helped. The best was psyllium, but this did give me bloating after a while.

The doctor suggested 1 teaspoon of normafibre (taken dry without water and then followed by a couple of glasses). This has worked wonderfully well. I am finally having normal bowel motions, no wind or bloating. The fibre looks far from appertising, but tastes kind of minty and is easy to swallow. Its made from acacia which is a native plant and it bulks up the stool, slowing down the speed it evacuates, therefore cutting out the wind and pain.

Anyway, it really works for me, so if any Aussie is having problems with finding a sf that suits, it could be worth a try.

As well, I have recently taken up yoga, still keep up the diet and still listen to Mike's hypno tapes, so have all bases covered. I figure if they all help, why not - they certainly don't cost me anything except effort and time.

Bev

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Normafibre - Australians new
      #158519 - 03/08/05 09:40 PM
Taylahmai

Reged: 11/03/04
Loc: Western Australia

Hi Bev, thanx for the info, I've never heard of normafibre before. I'm interested to know more about it, is it a soluble fibre? What are the exact ingredients? And where you able to get it from your local pharmacy?

I've been taking benefiber for the past week, lots of bloating, but thats nothing new!

--------------------
~ Live life, don't let life live you ~

#158964 - 03/09/05 08:24 PM
bevp

Hi Taylahmai,

You get Normafibre from the Chemist. A small packet is around $12.00. Its manufactured by Norgine Pty Limited 3/14 Rodborough Rd Frenchs Forest NSW 2086. Its in a green packet. There is another Norma something product which is in a purple packet and it has a laxative in it - so beware.

Its soluble fibre and you just swallow a teaspoon of it and then drink a couple of glasses of water and it then apparently becomes a big jelly blob.

All I can say is that it works for me and after suffering severe D for I don't know how long, I'm regular now. Of course, I also follow pretty closely Heather's diet, listen to the occasional hypno tape and exercise and have started yogo. So its probably a combination of everything. However, Normafibre is best SF I have found that works for me. Good luck.

If you can't locate it, do a Google and see if there is an actual contact phone number.

Regards,
Bev

Bev another question about Normafibre new
      #165567 - 03/30/05 09:59 PM
Taylahmai

Hi Bev,

I've been on benefiber for a couple of weeks now, but am not sure whether its making my symptoms better or worse, so thought I'd try the normafibre you suggested.

I've done a pharmacy & internet search for it but can't find any detailed info on it. So is it an SFS? And what are its ingredients? You say it contains acacia, so I'm wary as acacia left me chronically bloated. What is it about normafibre that ensures it doesn't contain bloating?

Sorry about so many questions!!

--------------------

Bump for Bev, if she's around.... -nt- new
      #165968 - 03/31/05 06:29 PM
Taylahmai

--------------------

Re: Bev another question about Normafibre new
      #166685 - 04/03/05 07:49 PM
bevp

Sorry to give you a bum steer. It's not acacia fibre, but sterculia - an Australian native.

I found out about it in the IBIS magazine, which is the magazine of the Australian Irritable Bowel Society, so its been tried by others as well. I don't know why it doesn't make you bloated - it just doesn't. My doctor, Dr Cremen, a gastroenterologist recommended it. I asked him the same question re bloating and he assured me that normafibre didn't. Well, its been 2 months now and I'm the best I've ever been.

Good luck.

Thanx Bev, thats great news! new
      #166688 - 04/03/05 07:57 PM
Taylahmai

In fact I bought some on Saturday Fingers crossed it does the job! I haven't heard of the Australian IBS Society, could you please give me the link to their site?

--------------------

#166700 - 04/03/05 08:26 PM
Ganny

Reged: 05/02/04
Loc: Oregon, USA

I Googled Normafibre, and there are choices (different variations). Since I can't tell anything about it (no "ingredients" given) I'm not sure what it is. Could you perhaps give a short narrative on it, where to order, how much is right to pay, etc. please?

#167083 - 04/04/05 10:23 PM
Taylahmai

Hi Birdy,

I paid about $15 for a 400 gram packet (I think thats how big it was).

I don't know much about it except its made from stercula. Try doing a google search for that.

It claims to not cause the gas that other SFS create, hence its claim not to cause bloating.

I've nothing to report yet as I've only just started taking it, but will let everyone know if its good!

Also its a product of France, so I think anyone should be able to get their hands on it.

--------------------

#168741 - 04/10/05 05:10 PM
Ganny

Reged: 05/02/04
Loc: Oregon, USA

Thanks! I'll check later (you post how it works, please). My favorite is Benefiber. I do use Acacia, but it can "back me up" pretty good. Maybe I don't drink enough. I also have to take Citrucel for about 3 days one time each and then skip a day. This will help me WHEN I'm not caught in my current state of affairs! I get no gas off those three at all.

Keep us posted!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 174 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4271

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review