All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Yikes! I'm scared to venture into any 'real food'...ya know?
      #158373 - 03/08/05 01:02 PM
beanqueen

Reged: 03/04/05

(just coming off an attack and the flu..)

being IBS-C..i've found that sticking soley to the SF is "extremely" gas/contipation causing for me..so..i figure i ought to venture out a bit to 'real food' ..maybe introduce a bit of protein or IF...maybe a sandwich ? (turkey/avocado is making me salivate.. ) or something..tofu....but...I'M SCARED! PARANOID..

i'm still not quite sure if i can eat that much SF (white bread/white rice) w/o too much gas. (i should specify..."trapped gas"..OUCH!) i'm so tempted to make a sandwich w/ wheat or eat brown rice w/ the tofu, for fear of the gas factor/constipation from the white stuff.. ya know? maybe i can tolerate more IF and LESS SF than the average IBSer? (is that possible and still be IBS-C??)

being IBS-C makes this whole process so much harder! (sorry for that whine) will this gas and constipation w/ the white stuff SF...fade away after an adjustment period or something? is that normal? i hear w/ acacia there may be an adjustment period..does that apply to the SF foods, too?

what to do? what to do?!!!

i so appreciate your help...sorry for posting with so many questions.

gratefully...
bq

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

gentle bump :) new
      #158422 - 03/08/05 03:23 PM
beanqueen

Re: Yikes! I'm scared to venture into any 'real food'...ya know? new
      #158456 - 03/08/05 05:01 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

I'm personally not C but I do know that C'ers need more IF than those with D - so that might be a factor. Also it's totally possible that you can tolerate more IF than other IBS folks - everyone's different. If you're C though you NEED to make sure you're getting IF.

Not sure about your question re: SF foods and needing an adjustment like for Acacia. I don't really think so... I mean, you'd need an adjustment period with an IF supplement too, it's just that it's JUST fiber going into your gut, I think.

What SF foods are you referring to that give you problems? White flour? It could be the refined nature of it. Get the freshest bakery bread you can find (not wonder and the like). Do potatoes, applesauce, bananas etc. cause you the same problems? I think it would be really unusal to have an intolerance to all 'SF foods', know what I mean? The only thing that groups them together is that they're high in SF... and I think it would be REALLY strange to be allergic or intollerant to SF itself...

Have you been officially diagnosed with IBS? (Tested for cecliac?)

Sorry I can't be more helpful... hopefully someone else will drop by and offer their 2 cents.

yes, been officially diagnosed IBS and neg tested for celiac..r/o new
      #158460 - 03/08/05 05:31 PM
beanqueen

btw, my testing for celiac..i'm not sure if i was eating gluten for 2-3 weeks prior to testing as the celiac site states..either way the test was negative for celiac.

i guess i just need to add more IF to my foods being a C.
gotta find that magic balance.

in terms of the 'adjustment period' i mentioned for SF...i noticed re: acacia that heather mentions that it may take a while for you body to adapt, may have some temporary gas/bloating in the beginning. i was wondering if that would apply to SF FOODS, too. will my body adjust with the gassy factor/bloating w/ some SF foods...after my intestines adjust to the increase influx of SF foods? and then the problem of gas will regulate ...thus less gas and bloating?

i seem to have a hard time w/ rice, bananas and white breads...i will check the freshness factor, tho. (thank you, great tip)

thank you so much

beanqueen new
      #158553 - 03/09/05 01:38 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Yes, you can have a bit of an adjustment period when you go straight onto this diet - any change to what we put into our sensitive GI tracts can do that. But it shouldn't be for very long.

As a C, you should ONLY be on the SF only diet for a few days tops anyway. Try eating IF really safely at first, so always AFTER SF etc, eg. have a small portion of white rice and then some cooked IF veggies. Mixing brown rice with white rice also seems to help some people. And low-fat protein isn't a problem to add in so make sure you get that!

I do know some people find bananas give them gas so you might want to avoid them as a SF base. Applesauce should be good.

thank you, linz... :) re: applesauce.. new
      #158895 - 03/09/05 05:21 PM
beanqueen

applesauce on an empty stomach is okay, right? since it's considered soluable..vs. some of the other fruits? i notice that heather mentions eating fruit after of w/ meals (post soluable)? but since applesauce is considered soluable it's a good 'stand alone' fruit? yikes! sorry for the rambling confusion..i'd greatly appreciate if you could shed some light for me.

thanks, so much linz!

Yup, applesauce is just fine on an empty tummy! new
      #158946 - 03/09/05 07:37 PM
retrograde

You're right - it's a fruit yes, but it's a soluble fiber food so it's safe. I eat applesauce as snack (often on an empty stomach) ALL the time. I may be addicted, but I'm ok with that

Addiction to Applesauce....not a bad thing to be addicted to! ;) new
      #158966 - 03/09/05 08:41 PM
beanqueen

i just have to figure out, if i can eat a store bought brand that has absorbic acid in it..for my Gastritis/Gerds factor. or..eventhough my kitchen is under current remodeling..maybe i can figure a way to make homemade applesauce!

thanks for all your help and responses, laurel..they've been invaluable on my QUEST FOR IBS STABILITY! THANK YOU!

Storebought Applesauce new
      #158992 - 03/10/05 01:34 AM
Linz

I never find that the amounts of ascorbic acid used to preserve apple sauce bother my GERDs...it's tiny compared to what you'd use cooking with lemons for example.

If you're worried, try some AFTER bland SF at first as the SF will help dilute the acid for your GERDs.

And homemade applesauce... new
      #159550 - 03/11/05 06:42 AM
retrograde

Yeah, what Linz said - there's very little in storebought applesauce.

However homemade applesauce is really easy if you want to try it out - pretty much all you need is a microwave.

Just peel and slice up an apple (or a few apples and pop them in the microwave on high for about 10 mins, stopping it and stirring it a little once or twice. Take them out when they're cooked enough that you can mash them with the back of a fork. It's not exactly like storebought applesauce but it's really good! You can add some sugar if you want too.

You can do it on the stovetop too just make sure you add a little applesauce or water so the bottom doesn't burn (you may want to do that in the microwave to thin it a little if you like as well).

Laurel, you're brilliant! new
      #159552 - 03/11/05 06:46 AM
Linz

Whenever I've tried making homemade applesauce, I've burnt it and I NEVER thought of making it in the microwave. Doh! This is so cool as the storebought I usually get has some sugar in it and I'm trying to cut sugar out. Yay!

Hehe you're welcome! -nt- new
      #159557 - 03/11/05 06:49 AM
retrograde

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2563 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5466

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review