All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
crazy acacia question- Heather maybe???
      #157970 - 03/07/05 05:27 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I have stabilized with acacia.. we will be getting new pets post move (probably a few months post move- talked to the breeder, but we won't waitlist until move)... namely sugar gliders... anyway- one of the things you feed them is acacia gum. How is this related to teh acacia powder? curious because of its nutritional content..

per 100grams of Gum Powder
348Kcal calories
17mg Sodium
759mg Potassium
670mg Calcium
85g Total Carbohydrate
85g Soluble Fiber
2g Protein

Seems interesting to me particularly the potasium and calcium content.. I'm almost wondering if small quantities of the gum would work in foods as a way to take my fiber.. maybe 5 grams at a time (that would 4.25 g soluble fiber) not sure if this si even safe for human consumption- its just making me wonder if there is a way to keep the calcium in it for us IBS'ers!

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: crazy acacia question- Heather maybe??? new
      #157992 - 03/07/05 06:24 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

wow I almost bought a sugar glider once. I don't know the answer to your question but I find it so startling when I read acacia here and there. Acacia trees for instance. I was reading about someone who was going to plant some. That's all I had to say.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#158000 - 03/07/05 06:43 PM
dozyveeny

Reged: 09/26/04
Loc: UK

I don't know the answer either, but I would be very interested as I bought some from a local herbalist when I was waiting for my first pack of acacia powder to arrive - it looks like lumps of amber, very pretty actually. The sales assistant told me that, of course, being a natural product, "it might contain a few bits of tree, but only good bits"! I imagine that if I ground it with a pestle and mortar, it would produce a coarse powder, but I don't know if the strength would be the same as Heather's - and any bits of bark must surely count as extra IF!!!

Acacia does sound like interesting stuff, with a long history of use in African traditional medicine - I was reading about it on a website, but I don't have the link right now.

Also, there was a programme on TV about the Mau Mau fighters in Kenya and someone said that they ate the resin from the acacia tree and it made them fearless in battle! I think I can imagine why people made that connection, but perhaps there is more to it than that ... Anyway, I hope everyone on the boards is feeling fearless tonight!

Josephine

bump and thanks! new
      #158099 - 03/08/05 03:02 AM
khyricat

glider folks refer to it as a powder!

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

What's a sugar glider? -nt new
      #158100 - 03/08/05 03:04 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

The cutest pets on the planet! new
      #158103 - 03/08/05 04:32 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

See?

Actually, this might be a better link... http://www.sugarglider.net/

Oh wow! How CUTE are they? new
      #158104 - 03/08/05 04:36 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03

They are so sweeeeet! Awww.

LOL- nt new
      #158108 - 03/08/05 05:02 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

thanks for answering Casey.. new
      #158190 - 03/08/05 08:23 AM
khyricat

it was a busy morning at work and I'm just now getting back on the boards!

Amie

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

#158193 - 03/08/05 08:29 AM
JaneC

Reged: 02/20/05

Wow, those are cute! They are marsupials, right? Oooh, I want now- I'm looking for a new pet. I had an African Hedgehog (they are very cute too- go search on google) and he died in January. I'm thinking of cavies, as they are easier to care for....or perhaps a chinchilla or two (the hedgehog cost me £200 in vet bills).

--------------------
"This is truly the age of bacteria: as it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be."

#158199 - 03/08/05 08:38 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

My roommate has 3 chinchillas, they're expensive up front ($150-$200 US a piece from a good breeder, which you want to make sure minimum of hidden health problems), but they're pretty cheap after that. They're extremely soft, and can be quite friendly.

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

#158236 - 03/08/05 10:06 AM
JaneC

Wow, they're only £30 or so over here! I'm worried because I live in the South of England, and it can ge a bit hot here- I wouldn't want them to get ill. They are so soft, though!

--------------------
"This is truly the age of bacteria: as it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be."

They are marsupials.. new
      #158247 - 03/08/05 10:26 AM
khyricat

we debated these or a chinchilla.. chins need less care, but are also less demonstrative and snuggle. we can't have a hedgehod because they actually are a very bad thing for llergic people to have apparently. their spines can cause allergens you've been exposed to to wind up under the skin... so bad for DH who is allergic to almost everything and a severe asthmatic.

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

Gliders are the same price range when you deal with reputable breeders.. new
      #158248 - 03/08/05 10:27 AM
khyricat

but their personailites and needs fit our own loves and lifestyle better.. as Bill said the fact that now we can't adopt means I wanted a pet to love and have for awhile and they tend to live as long as cats and dogs which are ruled out due to allergies.

Amie

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

we decided to go glider over chin early.. new
      #158250 - 03/08/05 10:28 AM
khyricat

but gliders like warmer climates.. they are native to australia... its acutally a big concern for us northerners to keep them warm enough!

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

Re: hedgehogs new
      #158580 - 03/09/05 02:33 AM
JaneC

Hedgies are good for people with allergies- my boyfriend is really allergic to most animals (dogs, cats, horses, rats) and he was fine with Harvey- it was so sweet, because N loves animals, but hasn't been able to have a pet because of his asthma! They don't usually prick you with their spines.

The major downside was that he died from a horrible genetic disease- Wobbly Hedgehog Syndrome, and that he was also ill because his mum had been on a poor diet. It was very distressing to watch (won't go into the details, but the hedgehog basically becomes totally paralyzed).

Here in the UK, chinchillas are about £30, hedgehogs about £100 and sugar gliders about £200 for a pair (I've only met one person who breeds them).

It's hard finding pets to suit people with allergies, isn't it? I have a tarantula in my office and I'm allergic to her fur so I can't pick her up for spider cuddles!

--------------------

awww.. sorry you can't pick her up... new
      #158600 - 03/09/05 04:40 AM
khyricat

but Bill isn't just animal allergic and they said even accidental contact with the spines if they or he had been in contact with allergens would be issues- the vet suggested a chin or a sugar glider instead and DH and I both think the gliders are adorable, adn even though they need a lot of attention and care- we don't have kids at home and have lots of love to share.. so it should work out.

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

bump for heather since she got online.. new
      #158752 - 03/09/05 11:11 AM
khyricat

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 237 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1672

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review