All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Scotland?
      #157305 - 03/05/05 01:39 PM
M_J

Reged: 04/20/04

My daughter may be studying abroad in Scotland (Glasgow). Currently she requires avoidance of any of the trigger foods (high fat foods are really bad - D ). Fiber supplements, digestive enzymes, and probiotics are a constant in her diet.

When I read about Scotland all I see are "fish and chips" and I get very nervous that there is quite a bit of fried everything. Are the grocery stores stocked with "normal" food that we can find in the US? Is there a Luna bar equivalent or any regional safe snacks that she could look for?

I did find the list of snacks for the UK I'm assuming that these will be available?

snacks

thanks in advance for your help and thank you for this website!

M

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Scotland? new
      #157320 - 03/05/05 03:39 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Hopefully Josephine from Scotland will answer, but I can say that Scotland isn't any less healthy than the US. We have tons of fried and junk food everywhere! You can't even buy fruit at many convenience stores. I don't think they have Luna bars but then I guess there isn't HFCS in everything so that is good! I found the food at restaurants and cafes in the UK to be on a much higher par than America and it seems they are more used to vegetarians. There are more ethnic food places which are better than the Americana restaurants like Champs and Chilis for safe choices. I believe grocery stores will take some perusing to find the equivilants to what she is used to since everything is always packaged differently but I think it will work out. I have a friend in Glasgow but she does not have IBS yet I could ask her for helpful suggestions. Big cities can be intimidating. Yet how exciting!!!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#157324 - 03/05/05 04:00 PM
dozyveeny

Reged: 09/26/04
Loc: UK

Hi, MJ, I lived in Glasgow for seven years and now live about an hour's drive south of the city, so maybe I can answer some of your questions.

You are absolutely right, Scotland has a bit of a reputation for fried foods and unhealthy lifestyles, but this is probably not much different from the image we sometimes see of America as the home of fast food and couch potatoes ... there's a bit of truth in it, but it definitely isn't the whole story!

All the foods listed for the UK are available in Glasgow, although for some she may have to go to an HFS (health food store). Two HFS that are particularly good are Grassroots on Woodlands Road and Roots and Fruits on Great Western Road. There is also an HFS chain called Holland & Barrett with several branches in Glasgow, they carry a lot of supplements, maybe you could check on their website if they have the ones she takes. There are several herbalists too, including Napiers, (one of the oldest herbalists in the world), Woodlands Herbs and Neals Yard.

Which SFS does she take? The ones available in the UK may be different to what she is used to, so it is something else to check and maybe arrange supplies.

Yes, grocery stores are stocked with normal food, but not necessarily exactly the same as in the US. We have different brands for lots of things, but there is a wide range of healthy and IBS-safe food here too. There are several large supermarkets in and around Glasgow which carry a lot of safe stuff.

Unfortunately, Luna doesn't export to the UK, so some people here order over the internet, either direct from Luna or through a supplier.

If she is going to be a student, the biggest issue will probably be college food. There have been several threads in the past about this, so try doing a search. Will she be able to cook for herself, do you know? If fat is a major factor for her, self catering may be the only really effective solution.

There are quite a few people on the board who have experience both of USA and UK, so they might be able to tell you specific foods that they know are not available over here. Otherwise, post again with a list of the particular things she likes to have and I will try and tell you whether she will be able to get them here.

Best wishes,

Josephine

thanks for the replies! new
      #157358 - 03/05/05 06:24 PM
M_J

I feel much better knowing that it's doable. We are fortunate that she will be staying in a flat(we hope)with a shared kitchen so this will help. She is currently taking Fibercon, Prevail Fat Enzyme and PB8 (probiotic). Can she carry these on the airplane or are there any restrictions to carrying supplements (sorry about the lame question but I don't travel very much).

thanks again,

M

Re: thanks for the replies! new
      #157369 - 03/05/05 07:14 PM
Little Minnie

I believe pills are all ok; especially when in the original containers. Acacia can look like another white powdered substance and should be taken in the original bag- same with peppermint tea. Otherwise pills shouldn't be a problem.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#157406 - 03/06/05 05:37 AM
M_J

I awoke this morning thinking about how great it is that I can post a question and find out about HFS in the Glasgow area with addresses and other helpful tips. The people on this forum are really wonderful.

best regards,

M

It'll be fine! new
      #157450 - 03/06/05 09:39 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Although we have a harder time getting hold of SFSs and stuff like Luna bars, much of the UK is vegetarian friendly and parts of Scotland are AMAZING for seafood. ANd Glasgow is a very modern city from all I've heard, so they'll be lots of more ethnic stuff.

Re: It'll be fine! new
      #157496 - 03/06/05 01:53 PM
M_J

thanks, I'm just being a nervous parent

m

Re: It'll be fine! new
      #157507 - 03/06/05 02:50 PM
dozyveeny

Linz is right, Glasgow is very modern and also quite cosmopolitan, with plenty of students and visitors from all over the world. It is known for being one of the friendliest places in the UK, the people here are very open and sociable. The city centre is fairly compact and laid out on a grid pattern, so it doesn't take long to find your way around. It takes about thirty minutes to get out into the countryside and an hour to reach the Highlands with plenty of opportunities for walking and climbing. There is a great music scene here, plus theatres, cinemas, shops, etc, AND just an hour away by bus or train is Edinburgh which has to be one of the most beautiful cities in Europe, with some great museums and art galleries ... I'm sure your daughter will have a great time!

If there's anything else you need to know, please don't hesitate to ask.

Josephine

My Daughter's Heading to Wales! new
      #157724 - 03/07/05 07:42 AM
tierny

Reged: 05/19/03
Loc: Iowa

And, I understand your anxiety for her eating properly, completely! My daughter hasn't had a colonoscopy but is being seen by a GI dr. and I'm 99.99% sure she has IBS-C. Since I've had IBS-C for over 20 years, I've been "teaching" her Heather's diet/info, she's got my copy of Heather's book, and I've added this website to her computer at college. It's so hard for college kids to find the "right" food at the college dining center---amazingly, they are not very IBS friendly! And, don't offer much for good substitutions. But, back to this reply---my daughter is heading to Wales for Study Abroad Jan. 2006! I'm very concerned about her being able to find foods that'll be ok for her. It's hard for me to think of her that far away for 6 months as it is, let alone worrying about her dealing with her IBS on her own. Geez! The worrying about her will probably set me off on my own "attack"! Just wanted to let you know I'm in the same boat as you. And, to thank all the UK people on this site for all your information---even in past posts. (I've been reading and rereading alot of them)

Ooo, that's not far from Nik...or me! new
      #157728 - 03/07/05 07:46 AM
Linz

So if you want, give her my email address and I'll help all I can. Where in Wales is she going? I'm only about 1.5 hours away from the south border.

The only thing is we have a POOR selection of SFSs available so she'll want to bring her own! I order Acacia from Heather

I don't have any real trouble finding foods over here...only sometimes when I travel.

Leeks are readily available there...although new
      #157732 - 03/07/05 07:49 AM
nikjones_uk

Reged: 01/04/05

they aren't SF! (joke) I live extremely close to the south of wales, let us know where!!

Re: Ooo, that's not far from Nik...or me! new
      #157796 - 03/07/05 09:01 AM
tierny

Reged: 05/19/03
Loc: Iowa

She is going to be at Swansea. And, yes I am already planning to send all the SFS she'll be using from here. She'll be mad because it'll be taking up important Clothes space, but she'll just have to adjust!

Re: Ooo, that's not far from Nik...or me! new
      #157827 - 03/07/05 09:54 AM
nikjones_uk

Reged: 01/04/05

Thats not too far away from me, and it is a City, so she won't go without if she needs certain things!

ok I am butting in new
      #157919 - 03/07/05 03:08 PM
Little Minnie

and saying that I am going to be all over that area next month. I am so excited! Greetings to all.

--------------------

Re: ok I am butting in new
      #157971 - 03/07/05 05:33 PM
dozyveeny

Is it really so soon? Wow, you must be busy packing and listmaking and waking up in the middle of the night remembering things you've forgotten! That is the only thing about travelling I don't like - getting ready to go.

I wish your trip was nearer to me, it would be great to meet for a cup of peppermint tea (and whisky for your husband!) I spend half my time in Scotland and half in London these days, so if you are flying to one of the London airports maybe we could meet ... but I expect you have a full schedule already.

Good luck with the packing!

Josephine

Re: ok I am butting in new
      #157984 - 03/07/05 06:18 PM
Little Minnie

Thanks Josephine! Alas we are not going to Scotland or London this time. Next UK trip we will go to Glasgow and Inverness we decided. I haven't started too much getting ready yet. Did some shopping and made a preliminary list but I am waiting until the 14th or so when it is one month away to download directions and start getting stuff done. I have to explain my diet to the B&B owners. I find packing to be pretty exciting though. I like to cram as much stuff in as possible in a small case. And I like everything to coordinate with everything else. Silly obsessions! Pack lists help you make sure not to forget stuff on the way back too.

--------------------

Re: My Daughter's Heading to Wales! new
      #158109 - 03/08/05 05:04 AM
M_J

We are fortunate that my daughter is a very determined person and I know that she will do fine. She's done a great job of dealing with this problem and we went through some bad experiences with doctors that "didn't have a clue". Heathers website and recipes were the answer, or at least as close an answer as we can expect.

Quote:

my daughter is heading to Wales for Study Abroad Jan. 2006! I'm very concerned about her being able to find foods that'll be ok for her.

Same time frame for our daughters journey. I'm currently hunting for some vendors that could ship her supplements, but it appears that it may be easiest for us to send them. We're getting pretty good at putting together the college care packages.

Does anyone know if there is a substitute for Fibercon in the UK? (calcium polycarbophil)

I'm sure that our children will do fine and have a great experience, we're the ones that will probably need help

Thanks for your thoughts and best wishes to everyone.

M

#158240 - 03/08/05 10:11 AM
JaneC

Reged: 02/20/05

hehe, of course you can get normal and healthy food in Scotland! Fish and chips is for the tourists, well, and 'neds'.

Glasgow has a vegan cafe called the 13th Note which is nice, and there is a big healthfood shop somewhere called Green City Wholefoods (I lived in Edinburgh for 7 years, and we got stuff from there), among others. Obviously. all the normal supermarkets will have IBS-friendly stuff like bread, pasta etc.

I haven't the foggiest what Luna bars are, but I've seen UKers mentioning them so I assume they're available. I know Glasgow is well supplied with all the usual supermarket chains, so she should be fine.

I tried a SF supplement from Holland & Barrett (chain of HFSs); they also sell peppermint tablets, digestive enzymes & probiotics. The one I tried was called Gentle Cleanse, and was mainly acacia fibre.

--------------------
"This is truly the age of bacteria: as it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be."

Re: Fibercon in the UK new
      #158468 - 03/08/05 06:00 PM
dozyveeny

So far as I know, Fibercon is not available in the UK and I don't know of another SFS with calcium polycarbophil. Anyone else in the UK know different?

Josephine

Nope new
      #158547 - 03/09/05 01:17 AM
Linz

All I know OTC is Fybogel (psyllium with artificial sweeteners! Urgh). I know inulin is available on prescription at Boots Chemists - probably some others too, but not Fibercon as far as I'm aware.

I order Acacia from the States anyway!

#158597 - 03/09/05 04:28 AM
M_J

"Ah'm no a ned"

So funny... I had to go to a scottish slang website to find that one. All of the different influences on the language is very interesting, I'd like to study there! maybe I can convince her to let me be her full time chef : )

M

#158851 - 03/09/05 02:52 PM
dozyveeny

There is a special slang in Glasgow called 'The Patter' - they sell a book called A Guide to the Patter in the bookshops, I'm sure it would amuse you ...

Years ago a Scottish comedian called Stanley Baxter did a TV sketch called 'Parliamo Glasgow' which has become a bit of a classic.

Glaswegians are quite proud of the way they express themselves - they are very verbal and just love to talk, whether with friends or strangers!

Josephine

Josephine

#158900 - 03/09/05 05:37 PM
M_J

Wow this really is a full-service forum. I'm getting tips on books to read! I just found it on Amazon.

thanks! M

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 963 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3675

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review