Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Safe Antibiotics?
      #156859 - 03/04/05 05:48 AM
BarbaraRyan

Reged: 07/12/04
Loc: Sicklerville, NJ

Hey all!

Are there any antibotics that you've used that were safe for IBS? The last one I took gave me the worse IBS attack I've had yet. I think it was Zithromax® (azithromycin), which I took for a respitory infection. When I told my family doctor (who also specializes in GI), he shook my hand and congratulated me (in a sort-joking way). He said I was the first to report that and the antibiotic was a low dose one. But the side-effects that I experienced were on the info sheet. I made him write in my chart not to give me that antibiotic.

Thanks to the bad cold/flu season, I have a sinus infection and I am scared to take any antibotic. Right now, I am drinking rose hips for Vitamin C. I am taking a homeopathic sinus relief nasal spray to help break up the congestion

Thanks!
Barbara
aka Pythia
aka Olivia O'Meir

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Safe Antibiotics? new
      #156862 - 03/04/05 05:57 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I don't know any tablets that are "safe" but ask your doc if you can have a topical spray or liquid. I get one for ear infections that I drip into my ears...because it doesn't go via my tummy it's fine.

Otherwise, get some probiotics, eat Sf and pray for the best!

Re: Safe Antibiotics? new
      #157042 - 03/04/05 12:03 PM
BarbaraRyan

Reged: 07/12/04
Loc: Sicklerville, NJ

Dear Linz,

You are a brillant woman! I did not think of that - if needed I could just ask for something that I don't have to digest, like nose or ear drops. That makes me feel much better. Thanks!

BB,
Pythia

Quote:

I don't know any tablets that are "safe" but ask your doc if you can have a topical spray or liquid. I get one for ear infections that I drip into my ears...because it doesn't go via my tummy it's fine.

Otherwise, get some probiotics, eat Sf and pray for the best!

That's ok! new
      #157176 - 03/05/05 02:03 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Thank my brilliant old GP who automatically stopped giving me antibiotic pills when IBS was first mentioned! He was lovely...wish I hadn't had to change docs.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 407 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 520

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review