All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
help with soluble fiber???
      #155191 - 03/01/05 07:16 AM

Reged: 01/05/05

I know it is recommended that you start your meals with a soluble fiber first - does that mean a piece of bread or some rice first? I know I have read that people take a soluble fiber capsule before each meal - but I have never done that and I am afraid that I may take too much and then have even more gas and bloating than I have now.

PLEASE HELP!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

You can't have too much soluble fibre! new
      #155194 - 03/01/05 07:22 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Don't worry about overdoing it with both a SFS and Sf foods! This is NOT a problem and will only help.

In fact, the only way SF should give you more gas and bloating is if you increase your dose of a SFS too fast or if you're on the wrong SFS for you.

oh so true... new
      #155209 - 03/01/05 07:47 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

but for those of us who dont' always have the luxury of taking a supplement- I always start with the bread or potato or rice or pasta FIRST or at least some of it.. and then move on to the meal itself. MUCH better that way!

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Re: You can't have too much soluble fibre! new
      #155222 - 03/01/05 08:14 AM
Computr821

Reged: 12/02/04
Loc: University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA/ Baltimore, MD

Umm...I don't know. I've eaten a pound of plain pasta before and it didn't help me too much.

Avidan

--------------------
Why'd you have to go and make me so constipated?
--'Weird' Al Yankovic, "A Complicated Song"

I find that too much SF new
      #155225 - 03/01/05 08:19 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

causes me more constipation.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#155227 - 03/01/05 08:24 AM
Linz

Okay, overeating is just bad.

You CAN have too little IF... new
      #155229 - 03/01/05 08:25 AM
Linz

...especially if you're IBS-C.

LOL new
      #155234 - 03/01/05 08:32 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Yeah, that's a lot of pasta! You ate that at one sitting?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: LOL new
      #155287 - 03/01/05 10:31 AM
Computr821

Not the WHOLE pound, but pretty close to it. I had no other safe food around and I was really hungry, so...yeah. And while I didn't eat all of it in one sitting, I ate the remainder of the pasta a few hours later. Er.

Avidan

--------------------

#155353 - 03/01/05 12:04 PM

Do I take one SF pill before each meal - I now take a digestaway pill from a HFS - my biggest problem is about 1/2 hour after I eat (it does not matter what) I get doubled over with gas pains - all the time!!! It is like I do not want to eat - but I have lost so much weight! Do you suggest I take an acidopolous pill also before each meal??

I am desparate - I also had tried the miralax before before I went to bed - did not help the gas pains during the day.

HELP!!!

I just replied to your other post on this. new
      #155611 - 03/02/05 02:05 AM
Linz

I'm pretty sure miralax is a stool softener NOT a SFS.

Take a probiotic just as recommended...usually once a day. It's not a drug and doesn't work that fast.

Boys! - nt new
      #155612 - 03/02/05 02:06 AM
Linz

Re: I just replied to your other post on this. new
      #155643 - 03/02/05 05:03 AM

Thanks for answering about Miralax. I have started taking a probiotic before each meal as indicated - I am now taking Natrol Acidophilus brand - anyone ever heard of it?

Can an SFS as I asked before help with gas pains after each meal??? what exactly does an SFs do??

Thanks for all of everyone's help - I am getting pretty desparate!

Read Heather's notes on this... new
      #155646 - 03/02/05 05:13 AM
Linz

... here.

SFSs basically help with all aspects of IBS. Unless you are intolerant of them all, there is no good reason why every IBSer shouldn't take one!

I am taking the Natrol brand new
      #155649 - 03/02/05 05:17 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

- and they have a good rep for having the bacteria they claim to have. I guess many companies don't.

Re: Boys! - nt new
      #155672 - 03/02/05 06:41 AM
Computr821

Hey! Such is the college life.

Avidan

--------------------

Re: Read Heather's notes on this... new
      #155814 - 03/02/05 10:23 AM

I have just ordered the Acacia fiber supplement and will begin once I receive it. I am confused! I will start out slow 1/2 teaspoon daily - once at nite and once in the morning over my oatmeal. Can I overdose on acacia - or get gassy if I do more than I should????

Re: Taking acacia new
      #155850 - 03/02/05 11:19 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Check out this thread for a few differents thoughts on what acacia is, what it does, and how some people take it.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Taking acacia new
      #156154 - 03/03/05 01:35 AM
Linz

It would be hard to overdose on it per se, but I wouldn't take much more than 3 tbsp a day...that's 13.5g of SF.

The problem with SFSs comes if you increase the dose too much too fast...then it can cause gas and bloating until your body adjusts. That's why Heather suggests starting on a tiny dose like 1/2 (or even 1/4) tsp twice a day. A dose like this won't help much, but by increasing the dose slowly you can avoid all side effects.

I was put on a SFS before I discovered Heather VV and went straight onto the full dose. I had major gas and bloating for a couple of weeks, but it worked really fast...it just depends whether you want to avoid the side effects or not.

Edited by Linz (03/03/05 01:35 AM)

Re: Taking acacia-sorry another question new
      #156215 - 03/03/05 05:57 AM

When I reach to one tablespoon 3 times per day do I take one tablespoon 3 times per day. I am going to think positive - as Heather says we might not need that much if we begin to feel better (feeling better to me is no gas pains after I eat). Am I being realistic - I need to know!!!

Re: Taking acacia-sorry another question new
      #156220 - 03/03/05 06:04 AM
Linz

That's what I would do...I take 2 tbsps a day, one at breakfast and one before bed. But then I haven't had ANY side effects from the Acacia so I don't have to fuss about splitting doses up into 3+ a day.

Good luck! Remember that it can take a good while to see the effects...and if you get discouraged and stop taking it for a while it'll take even longer, so just stick to your regime, okay?

..not sure if you've tried peppermint tabs? new
      #156221 - 03/03/05 06:04 AM
nikjones_uk

Reged: 01/04/05

I haven't read the whole thread, but I used to get gas pains after I ate, sometimes still do, and swear by peppermint tabs? Sorry if I'm duplicating!

Re: ..not sure if you've tried peppermint tabs? new
      #156224 - 03/03/05 06:12 AM

are peppermint tabs like peppermint capsules? Too much of them can cause heartburn!

#156227 - 03/03/05 06:17 AM
nikjones_uk

Yes they are - and yes they can, if you suffer from heartburn/gerds etc. But there may be some benefit from taking say 1 per day? I know 1 for me is usually enough to keep things stable down there! But as everyone is different, I guess its trial and error?

#156228 - 03/03/05 06:20 AM

When do you take your peppermint capsule? Is it before or after that meal??? One a day I could handle!

#156231 - 03/03/05 06:27 AM
nikjones_uk

Mine say before a meal - I take it literally just before my lunch with a tiny bit of water. I have taken one after a meal but it gave me a wierd pepperminty sensation all up through my insides - most bizarre - kinda takes your breath away!

Probiotic more than once per day??? new
      #157044 - 03/04/05 12:04 PM

I have been recently taking a probiotic (Natrol brand) before each meal along with a digetive enzyme. did you indicate (Linz) to take a probiotic only once per day???

the directions on the bottle says before each meal??

Re: Probiotic more than once per day??? new
      #157080 - 03/04/05 02:31 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Sorry butting in... Probiotics don't really help in the same way that enzymes do - that is, the probiotics you take before each meal won't really help you much with THAT meal (where enzymes do). Rather probiotics have a cumulative effect by gradually building up the good bacteria in your gut.

So if you take a similar dose once per day or spread out through the day then it doesn't make a lot of difference...(Am I right on this Linz?) Do take them with meals though b/c it prevents the active bacteria from getting scagged by stomach acid.

I take 3 pills with breakfast simply because I'm not home all day and I don't want to take the pills with me out of the fridge, where the bacteria could die. I'd say just keep taking the dose you're taking as per the instructions on your bottle.

#157135 - 03/04/05 06:56 PM
kendra

Reged: 02/28/05

I may be way off base here but i always try to drink some tea (peppermint or chamomile)after my meals and that seems to aid my digestion good luck kendra

Re: Probiotic more than once per day??? new
      #157149 - 03/04/05 10:27 PM

thanks for the info - I did not know that the probiotic works like that and that I could take 3 in one sitting instead of one each meal to get them out of the way. It will not make me gassier or experience any pain??? I take only one enzyme pill with each meal now - can I take more than one with each meal?

Thanks for the great advice!!!!!!!!!!!!

Laurel's right new
      #157171 - 03/05/05 01:55 AM
Linz

But the enxzymes DO work on that meal so take them if you feel they help. I was just saying that following the instructions with whatever probiotic you're taking is the best guide...for mine that means taking it once a day.

Edited by Linz (03/05/05 01:57 AM)

Taking enzymes... new
      #157225 - 03/05/05 07:15 AM
retrograde

For enzymes go with what it says on the bottle since different brands contain different total amounts of enzymes. Usually its something like take one before most meals or two or three if the meal is really large or especially fatty or something like that. Go with the bottle's instructions, but you may need to experiment a little to find what works for you. When I started taking enzymes I experienced fewer cramps after meals almost immediately, but everyone's different!

Does your enzyme have lots of different kinds of enzymes in it? (It should be listed on the bottle - protease, lipase, cellulase, amylase etc.?) The more enzymes the more kinds of food (protein, fat, fiber, starches) it will help you digest, so the more valuable the product.

Here's a good page on digestive enzymes.

....and while I'm at it, here a good one on acidophilus (probiotic).

[Note: don't necessarily follow the dosages on these pages... go with the instructions on your bottles and your own slight experimentation to see what works for you! ]

Re: Taking enzymes... new
      #157235 - 03/05/05 07:42 AM

Thanks for your input. My super digestaway bottle ingredients has gelatin for the capsule, magnesium stearate, silica, celluose and maletodextrin aong with mg of numerous other "stuff" - peppermint 45mg, ginger 45 mg, etc. No where near what you mention. my acidophilus is from Natrol and contains just lactobacillus -100mg. I hope that is good enough

I need to take as powerful of them as i could!

Re: Taking enzymes... new
      #157255 - 03/05/05 08:17 AM
retrograde

Your enzymes (if they ARE enzymes) should have some enzymes in them, lol! Enzymes are usually anything ending in "-ase". Is this what you're taking? It says it contains "enzymes essential to the digestion and assimilation of proteins, fats, and carbohydrate" - which means it probably has protease, lipase and amylase. So you're good

As for your lactobacillus, the important number is the number of live bacteria, which will be in billions per capsule - a number between 1 and 2 billion is good. It should tell you but I don't think Natrol does, which is kind of annoying... Unfortunately probiotics aren't regulated too well, and lots of products have few to no actually LIVE bacteria, which is what you need. Of course I'm sure what you're taking is a good product though, but if after a few months you don't notice any difference try switching to another brand (which goes for everyone taking probiotics). Asking at an HFS is a good idea for finding a good brand.

Hope that helps

Re: Taking enzymes..- new brand new
      #157317 - 03/05/05 03:17 PM

I just bought from Whole foods today a different probiotic which indicates it provides 4 billion live colony forming units per capsule.(Power-Dophilus - ever heard of it?) Natrol brand said nothing so I am not going to switch. I also just bought a different enzymes called essential enzymes which indicates a lost of ase words in it and overall contains 500 mg of an all-vegeterian spectrum blend of digestive enzymes. I am hoping I now feel a little better. I am also waiting for my acacia to be delivered and I will start with 1/4 tsp 2 times per day. I am hoping I will begin to feel better

Any advice on what I will be now taking???

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1568 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8644

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review