All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Re: Taking acacia-sorry another question new
      #156220 - 03/03/05 06:04 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

That's what I would do...I take 2 tbsps a day, one at breakfast and one before bed. But then I haven't had ANY side effects from the Acacia so I don't have to fuss about splitting doses up into 3+ a day.

Good luck! Remember that it can take a good while to see the effects...and if you get discouraged and stop taking it for a while it'll take even longer, so just stick to your regime, okay?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

..not sure if you've tried peppermint tabs? new
      #156221 - 03/03/05 06:04 AM
nikjones_uk

Reged: 01/04/05

I haven't read the whole thread, but I used to get gas pains after I ate, sometimes still do, and swear by peppermint tabs? Sorry if I'm duplicating!

Re: ..not sure if you've tried peppermint tabs? new
      #156224 - 03/03/05 06:12 AM

Reged: 01/05/05

are peppermint tabs like peppermint capsules? Too much of them can cause heartburn!

#156227 - 03/03/05 06:17 AM
nikjones_uk

Yes they are - and yes they can, if you suffer from heartburn/gerds etc. But there may be some benefit from taking say 1 per day? I know 1 for me is usually enough to keep things stable down there! But as everyone is different, I guess its trial and error?

#156228 - 03/03/05 06:20 AM

When do you take your peppermint capsule? Is it before or after that meal??? One a day I could handle!

#156231 - 03/03/05 06:27 AM
nikjones_uk

Mine say before a meal - I take it literally just before my lunch with a tiny bit of water. I have taken one after a meal but it gave me a wierd pepperminty sensation all up through my insides - most bizarre - kinda takes your breath away!

Probiotic more than once per day??? new
      #157044 - 03/04/05 12:04 PM

I have been recently taking a probiotic (Natrol brand) before each meal along with a digetive enzyme. did you indicate (Linz) to take a probiotic only once per day???

the directions on the bottle says before each meal??

Re: Probiotic more than once per day??? new
      #157080 - 03/04/05 02:31 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Sorry butting in... Probiotics don't really help in the same way that enzymes do - that is, the probiotics you take before each meal won't really help you much with THAT meal (where enzymes do). Rather probiotics have a cumulative effect by gradually building up the good bacteria in your gut.

So if you take a similar dose once per day or spread out through the day then it doesn't make a lot of difference...(Am I right on this Linz?) Do take them with meals though b/c it prevents the active bacteria from getting scagged by stomach acid.

I take 3 pills with breakfast simply because I'm not home all day and I don't want to take the pills with me out of the fridge, where the bacteria could die. I'd say just keep taking the dose you're taking as per the instructions on your bottle.

Re: You can't have too much soluble fibre! new
      #157135 - 03/04/05 06:56 PM
kendra

Reged: 02/28/05

I may be way off base here but i always try to drink some tea (peppermint or chamomile)after my meals and that seems to aid my digestion good luck kendra

Re: Probiotic more than once per day??? new
      #157149 - 03/04/05 10:27 PM

thanks for the info - I did not know that the probiotic works like that and that I could take 3 in one sitting instead of one each meal to get them out of the way. It will not make me gassier or experience any pain??? I take only one enzyme pill with each meal now - can I take more than one with each meal?

Thanks for the great advice!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1663 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8709

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review