All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Quinoa and whole grains
      #155023 - 02/28/05 02:52 PM
Carol H

Reged: 02/28/05

I read something on the site about not eating whole grains, and only eating white rice, instant oatmeal etc. Then it says it's only temporary. Is that only when one is first on the diet, and if one is having diarrhea? After that, is it ok to eat whole oatmeal, whole Quinoa and brown rice?
Carol

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Quinoa and whole grains new
      #155036 - 02/28/05 04:38 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Hi Carol - I'm not too certain on the Quinoa, but as for oatmeal and brown rice, many do well with it. Have white rice until you become stable, then see how you do with brown.

#155062 - 02/28/05 06:33 PM
little suzy

Reged: 12/02/04
Loc: Maine

Like everything, it probably varies by person--that said, I do very well with quinoa. And it's also the only grain that is also a complete protein--a very good thing for me! Maybe you could try mixing brown rice or quinoa with white rice (cook separately) to see if you can tolerate that before trying a serving of straight whole-grains

#155086 - 02/28/05 08:06 PM
Carol H

Mags and Little Suzy,
I haven't eaten grains at all for a few years. I don't think that has caused my problems though. I've had IBS for many years, but it got worse because of adding a lot more fat to my diet, I believe, a couple of years ago. (Mainly in the form of nuts, but also oils, dark chicken meat etc.) So, I added white rice a few days ago. I never had a lot of pain with the IBS, (except cramping a long time ago), until a few weeks ago. That was a burning pain. In fact my symptoms have been exactly as Heather describes on the site, very classic. That's getting better now, but the regularity, (or rather lack there of), hasn't improved. I guess I'll just stick with white rice for awhile.
Thanks,
Carol

Reread the diet guidelines... new
      #155132 - 03/01/05 01:23 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...the SF ONLY diet is for a few days, but you should always use SF to keep your tum happy and if you have, say brown rice instead of white, it isn't such a good SF base. This applies to all the wholegrains.

#155252 - 03/01/05 09:05 AM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

Quote:

Like everything, it probably varies by person--that said, I do very well with quinoa. And it's also the only grain that is also a complete protein--a very good thing for me! Maybe you could try mixing brown rice or quinoa with white rice (cook separately) to see if you can tolerate that before trying a serving of straight whole-grains

So how do you make your Quinoa? I have a box of it but I've been too afraid to ever try it(I'm particularly sensitive to whole grains). I read that you have to rinse it off first...that's all I know!

--------------------
IBS-C

#155260 - 03/01/05 09:17 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

I made some in our rice cooker just the other day: 1 cup of quinoa and 2 cups of water. I didn't rinse it off or anything, and it turned out fine (I think...). It didn't bother me either, but then I'm predominantly C.

--AC

Fishnets new
      #155266 - 03/01/05 09:30 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I think you should be pretty safe with this. I have both the cereal quiano flakes (softer, like oatmeal consistency) and the granuals. Just rinse it off using a sieve, double the water, and cook like rice in a pan. Cook a little longer if you feel better that way. Only takes 15 minutes, so good for a quick side dish and good with carrots.

The box itself says it is very easily digested, and I have also read that in other places. That is what convinced me to try it. Anything that is "easliy digestable" is good! And it's good fiber, tastes good, and the only grain that is a complete protein source. Don't be afraid!

If you are brave enough to try metamucil, you are brave enough to try this one!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#155281 - 03/01/05 10:10 AM
Carol H

To Linz - I have read and reread the guidelines at the site. But it's a BIG site and kind of complex to navigate, so it's been difficult for me to refind things. The only place I found, where it says to only eat white rice and instant oatmeal, (as opposed to other rices and regular oatmeal), it says to only do it for a few days. I've already been on the diet about a week, and have only used white rice so far. But, I will stick to something like basmati rice, which is white, but also higher in nutrients. (And, quinoa never seems to have bothered me in the past.) I've never liked brown rice all that well, so I guess this is a good excuse not to eat it!

Thanks everyone for the responses. I have eaten quinoa a lot in the past. The reason for rinsing it is that it has a bitter-ish coating on it, that should be removed for sake of the flavor mainly, I think. I LOVE quinoa. If prepared correctly, it's got a mild 'nutty' flavor and has just a slight tender crunch to it. (Barely noticeable, but delightful to me.) I use it in the same way I use rice.
Carol

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2181 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1048

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review