All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
      #154744 - 02/27/05 03:30 PM
del e

Reged: 02/27/05
Loc: Clever, Mo

Hi,
I have been reading on the website for a few days and some here on the forum. I did a search but did not pull anything up about my question. I am celiac and would like to know if the gluten free grains are soluble fiber? I am suspecting yes, since quinoa is soluble. I want to make some bread with Amaranth flour. I have been trying this diet for the past 2 days.Don't really know if I have IBS or not, but something is happening to my gut!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I would guess... new
      #154835 - 02/28/05 03:29 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...that it depends on the grain. Anything wholegrain is going to be higher in IF.

Re: I would guess... new
      #154887 - 02/28/05 07:24 AM
del e

I am very new to this. I have read quite a bit on the website but don't recall the amount of fat (I am assuming IF means fat) I should eat or avoid. I did a search on the gluten-free flours and they are mostly high in protein. Here is a break down on Amaranth Dry:
1 cup contains:
15% fat, 69% carb and 15% protein calories
Does that help?
Thanks
Del

IF... new
      #154888 - 02/28/05 07:26 AM
Linz

...stands for Insoluble Fibre (see here for a list of abbreviations. If something isn't on there, let me know...I've just noticed that Insoluble Fibre is only down as ISF Sorry!

Have you done a search for amaranth?

I eat gluten free new
      #154892 - 02/28/05 07:42 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Amaranth is very insoluble. I think there is only like 5% SF and the rest is soluble. The only soluble gluten free grains that I know of are white rice and quinoa.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: IF... new
      #154894 - 02/28/05 07:53 AM
del e

Yes, I have. I think we posted at about the same time and you didn't see my post about that. Now that I know what IF stands for the amount of fiber is 29.6 gr. I saved the link to abbreviations so I can refer to it. thanks,
Del

The amount of fibre mentioned... new
      #154901 - 02/28/05 08:11 AM
Linz

...will be both IF and SF, unless specified.

Re: I eat gluten free new
      #154919 - 02/28/05 08:30 AM
del e

Hi Beth,
Nice to run into another celiac here! Can you share with me any soluble gluten free foods that you use or recipes for a bread, cracker or chip? Mostly I don't use already prepared gluten-free foods but make my own because of all the other things I am allergic/sensitive too, like fillers, gums etc.
Thanks for any help,
Del

Re: The amount of fibre mentioned... new
      #154921 - 02/28/05 08:38 AM
del e

Can I use it or how can I use it? I find the info about what is soluble and what is insoluble on searches to not be the same as what is on this site. I have found lists of soluble fibre foods that have insoluble fibre foods on the list (according to this site) and vise a versa. It it confusing!! How do I check a peticular food (and let it be according to Heather) besides just asking here?

Thanks, Del
Del

#154942 - 02/28/05 09:33 AM
CathUK

Reged: 05/25/04
Loc: Cambridge, UK

Hi,

I ate gluten free for a year while my stomach was at its worst. I have a great bread recipe somewhere that uses bananas, gluten free flour, rice milk, bicarb of soda and cream of tartar. You bake it in a brownie tin and it is a bit like a foccacia in that it doesn't rise a lot - more like a cake mix really. You can make it more savoury by using carrots instead of the banana. If you would like me to post the recipe I could find it in my book collection.

A mixture of rice and buckwheat flour also makes a great ginger cake!

#154975 - 02/28/05 11:03 AM
del e

That sounds great! I would appreciate it if you could post both recipes. Is there something I can sub for the rice milk? I haven't checked it lately but I believe it has an ingredient that I can't eat.

Thanks,
Del

Tricky... new
      #155137 - 03/01/05 01:33 AM
Linz

...the best way is to ask here I'm afraid.

#155142 - 03/01/05 03:36 AM
CathUK

Reged: 05/25/04
Loc: Cambridge, UK

Will do it later. You can use any kind of milk - soy, almond, oat etc. I haven't tried it with water, but I guess you could give it a go.

Welcome to eating for IBS, GF style new
      #155195 - 03/01/05 07:22 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Quote:

Hi,
I have been reading on the website for a few days and some here on the forum. I did a search but did not pull anything up about my question. I am celiac and would like to know if the gluten free grains are soluble fiber? That depends. All grains, being GF or not have a certain percentage of both soluble and insoluble fiber. You want to work with the grains that have the highest percentage of soluble fiber. I am suspecting yes, since quinoa is soluble. I want to make some bread with Amaranth flour. Unfortunately Amaranth ranks up there with whole wheat flour with only 35% soluble fiber and the rest being insoluble. Best to stick with white rice flour, tapioca flour, potato starch flour and yes, quinoa flour at first-- as you stabilize you can safely mix Amaranth flour in with the other flours that are higher in soluble fiber. I have been trying this diet for the past 2 days.Don't really know if I have IBS or not, but something is happening to my gut! IBS is definitely associated with CD so it is likely you have both. You picked the right diet to settle things down, you just have to pick gluten free grains instead of wheat/barley or oat based ones. Kandee

--------------------

Re: Welcome to eating for IBS, GF style new
      #155224 - 03/01/05 08:18 AM
del e

Hi Kandee,
Thank you. Very helpful info. Can You tell me about Millet grain?
Del

Re: Tricky... new
      #155228 - 03/01/05 08:25 AM
del e

Thanks Linz for all your help!
Del

Unfortunately... new
      #155251 - 03/01/05 09:02 AM
Augie

I can't help with recipes as I buy my bread in frozen section of a HFS and they do contain eggs and other stuff you probably canot have.

I would recommend getting a GF cookbook by Bette Hagman ("Bette Hagman Bakes Bread" or "Cooking Fast and Healthy") or especially Carol Fenster's "Special Diet Solutions: Healthy Cooking Without Wheat, Gluten, Dairy, Eggs, Yeast, or Refined Sugar." You can check it out at the library. It's great for people who have to avoid more than just gluten and dairy.

I think you could find some recipes in there that would work for you. She also offers substitutions for flours in the recipes if you cannot tolerate the ones listed in the recipe. I have made Bettes "Elizabeth Banana Bread as well as her Applesauce Bread which is extremely low fat and low sugar. Excellent.

One more thought, you might want to check out the magazine "Living without". I think they even have a website at livingwithout.com. It also is geared towards individuals with multiple food intolerances.
Good luck

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Unfortunately... new
      #155279 - 03/01/05 10:06 AM
del e

Thanks for all that info. Especially the cookbook info. I will look into getting them from the library. I get the Living without mag already. It's great!
Del

#155284 - 03/01/05 10:17 AM
Carol H

Reged: 02/28/05

Isn't millet ok, both for SF and for CD? I am also on a gluten free diet, because I have MS, so I have used millet and quinoa flours.
Carol

Millet new
      #155288 - 03/01/05 10:35 AM
Kandee

Quote:

Hi Kandee,
Thank you. Very helpful info. Can You tell me about Millet grain? Hi again Del, It's fine for IBS but it has a slightly different flavor so some people find it hard to get used to. I eat puffed millet all the time. I'm sure you could find millet flour if you looked but I've never used it. A good rule of thumb when you are deciding on an alternative flour is to go by the color. The whiter it is the higher the soluble fiber percentage it has, just like the difference between whole wheat flour and white wheat flour and rice flour and brown rice flour. However, combining the two, especially rice flours are usually tolerable for IBS. Kandee
Del

--------------------

Re: Millet new
      #155315 - 03/01/05 11:10 AM
del e

I am new to thinking about foods in terms of soluble or insoluble fibre. That sure makes sense to use the color of the grain! Great tip! Here's another flour question. Once I saw a blend of 3 different rice flours that could be used to replace any gluten flour and it would act just like gluten flour. The finished food also tasted like gluten was used and had the same consistency. Gums were not needed. Have you run across this ingo?? These flours were asian rice flour (fine); glutenous asian (med) and american (course) like Bob's Red mill. The glutenous asian was from Erawan marketing co of Bankok.
Del

LOL (3 rice flour mix) new
      #155369 - 03/01/05 12:18 PM
Kandee

Quote:

I am new to thinking about foods in terms of soluble or insoluble fibre. That sure makes sense to use the color of the grain! Great tip! Here's another flour question. Once I saw a blend of 3 different rice flours that could be used to replace any gluten flour and it would act just like gluten flour. The finished food also tasted like gluten was used and had the same consistency. Gums were not needed. Have you run across this ingo?? These flours were asian rice flour (fine); glutenous asian (med) and american (course) like Bob's Red mill. The glutenous asian was from Erawan marketing co of Bankok.
Del Del! I think we've been reading the same posts!!!...(recommending equal parts of those 3 types). I saved that info and want to try it too, as soon as I find the rice flours at the Asian market. I wish I could tell you I've tried it but in fact I haven't. I know if you are spookie about using brown rice flour you can use the sweet rice flour or glutenous rice flour instead of all American white rice flour which, if used alone is gritty. The 3-rice flour blend is worth a try so if you try it before me, please post your findings....OK? Can't be of much help here other than to say it is SUPER safe for IBS..white rice in any form is...Kandee

--------------------

#155394 - 03/01/05 12:56 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Hi, Del, welcome from me too. We have something in common! I'm not GF but I am sensitive to gums and fillers too! So I can totally relate on that point.

Welcome to the board, it's a great place!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

LS new
      #155403 - 03/01/05 01:07 PM
Augie

I thought you took acacia. Isn't that a gum?

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: LOL (3 rice flour mix) new
      #155415 - 03/01/05 01:28 PM
del e

Kandee,
I found the 3 flours about 2 months ago. Right before I had this happen to my stomach and thought I would never be able to eat any grains again, not even gluten-free ones. I didn't put those flours in the fridge. Instead they are in a cabinet in my very cool garage (60 degrees and below) Do you think they are still okay? Should they be in the fridge?
I don't mind using brown rice flour. I just need a lot of educating on using these GF flours. I have used some mixes but I want to make from scratch now as I think I may be sensitive/intolerant to gums. I may even start grinding my own flours.
Del

#155418 - 03/01/05 01:39 PM
Carol H

Does anyone have any idea why they call it glutenous rice flour? Is there any chance it has gluten in it?
Carol

No, it has no gluten in it. It's just sticky & elastic like gluten is, thus the name.-nt- new
      #155419 - 03/01/05 01:43 PM
Kandee

Kandee

--------------------

What sight posted these flours? new
      #155435 - 03/01/05 02:04 PM
Augie

And you mix them in equal amounts to make the flour to use for baking?

Where did you buy your flours from? I have never seen these in a HFS or Whole Foods, etc.

I'm very curious. They sound like bean flours. Are they? This would be gassy for me. In which case I would be better off sticking with Bette Hagman's mix of Rice, Potato Starch, and Tapioca.

But I would love to try this new mixture if you could tell me how to find the flours.

--------------------
~ Beth

Kandee, is the american (course)... new
      #155438 - 03/01/05 02:08 PM
Augie

just rice flour? And you use equal amounts of all three of these? You find the other two in an Asian Market?

Would you use the xanthum gum according to your rule of thumb along with these flours also, or wouldn't you need the xantham gum with these. I see where deb is not able to have gums so would you just use the flours and not the gum and still get a good result?

Thanks.

--------------------
~ Beth

Are we related? new
      #155440 - 03/01/05 02:08 PM
Kandee

Quote:

Kandee, Del,
I found the 3 flours about 2 months ago. Right before I had this happen to my stomach and thought I would never be able to eat any grains again, not even gluten-free ones. I'm sorry. I didn't put those flours in the fridge. Instead they are in a cabinet in my very cool garage (60 degrees and below) Do you think they are still okay? I do the same thing, but only keep the over flow of alt. flours in there during the winter months, since I like to buy in bulk. I don't worry much about arrowroot or tapioca or cornstarch being refrigerated although it's easier to keep all your GF flours together. Should they be in the fridge? Eventually, when you find room. I have the largest bottom shelf and one veggie bin devoted to all the GF flours and mixes. Brown rice, buckwheat, teff and sorghum seem to go bad faster if not kept cold. I always store those in the refrigerator or freezer. Seeds and nuts need to be kept cold too. The freezer is the best place for them.
I don't mind using brown rice flour. I just need a lot of educating on using these GF flours. The BEST education you'll ever get is your own hands-on experience, not necessarily from what other people do. I've made a lot of flops in my day (despite following some GF recipes to the tee), but I keep at it, making notes and trying something different the next time. Eventually you end up with something pleasing to your own palate. I have used some mixes but I want to make from scratch now as I think I may be sensitive/intolerant to gums. Hmm, are you sure you're sensitive to Xanthan gum? It is lab produced and most Celiacs can tolerate it despite sensitivities to other gums. I may even start grinding my own flours. Great way to have fresh flour. I have a high speed blender with a dry container (VitaMix). I think I could make flour out of rocks in that if I wanted...but then that would be dust, and my house has enough of THAT already

My next experiment is to grind white beans since the bean flours out there are very strong and over power most of the products you add them to, even though they add tenderness.

Keep us posted Del. Once you get the hang of eating this way but keeping it GF I know you'll start feeling better. Were you gluten intolerant BEFORE you developed IBS? Kandee

Del

--------------------

Re: Kandee, is the american (course)... new
      #155442 - 03/01/05 02:13 PM
Kandee

Quote:

just rice flour? Yep, like any old brand you find that just says White Rice Flour. And you use equal amounts of all three of these? Yes, equal parts. You find the other two in an Asian Market? Yes, but I can't give you brands or anything since I've yet to buy them myself. Besides, they'd likely be written in Japanese or Chinese and I don't read OR write either.. Kandee

--------------------

#155560 - 03/01/05 07:11 PM
del e

It's glutenous rice flour so GF.

Del

#155562 - 03/01/05 07:38 PM
del e

I found the 2 flours at an asian store, after going to 2 other asian stores that were larger.The flours are in clear see-thru 1-lb packages. One with red letters that said RICE FLOUR. The other in the same packageing with green letters that said GLUTINOUS RICE FLOUR. Both from Erawan Marketing Co., LTD Bangkok. Phone number is (66-2) 881-4040 (auto 12 lines)All of that phone number is what is on the package. I have not called them. Everything on the package is written in both English and Thai Language. The way it was told to me is that you do not need to add any gums to the flour. Just use it in place of wheat flour in any recipe.

I don't know how fast I will try it so if anyone finds the flours and trys it please post results! I will do the same.

Del

Okay, if the american course is.. new
      #155766 - 03/02/05 09:09 AM
Augie

just regular old rice flour (either brown or white? or which), then what is the difference between that and the asian fine rice flour?

sorry, I'm confused on these 3 flours. I'm missing one here. I get the glutinous one, but the other two seem like they are the same thing?

--------------------
~ Beth

I'm guessing here... new
      #155767 - 03/02/05 09:12 AM
Linz

...but wouldn't it be like the difference between amaerican long-grain rice and, say, basmati?

Missing one of the rices new
      #155768 - 03/02/05 09:14 AM
Augie

Sorry, I'm confused. You mentioned the 2 flours, but what is the third to use? Bob's red mill white or brown rice?

Also, is the Asian Rice flour a white flour and is it different than American rice flour? What flour do you use for the third type besides the two you listed?

Thanks. Could you give me the web site address you found this on? Thank you for all your help!

--------------------
~ Beth

The third one is American... new
      #155770 - 03/02/05 09:16 AM
Linz

...eg. Bob's red mill white!

Re: Missing one of the rices new
      #155955 - 03/02/05 02:47 PM
del e

Hi Augie,
Maybe this will be more help.

Here are some websites for the asian flours.

1 lb. Bob's Red Mill white rice flour, or any American rice flour
1 lb. Glutenous rice flour
1 lb. Asian rice flour

Sift together. Use in recipies.
Erawan Glutinous Rice Flour
http://www.asiafoods.com/asi/showdetl.cfm?...ct_ID=280&DID=7

Erawan Rice Flour
http://www.asiafoods.com/asi/showdetl.cfm?...ct_ID=279&DID=7

Del

Thanks Del for the clarification for Beth.. new
      #156037 - 03/02/05 05:49 PM
Kandee

Quote:

Hi Augie,
Maybe this will be more help.

Here are some websites for the asian flours.

1 lb. Bob's Red Mill white rice flour, or any American rice flour
1 lb. Glutenous rice flour
1 lb. Asian rice flour

Sift together. Use in recipies.
Erawan Glutinous Rice Flour
http://www.asiafoods.com/asi/showdetl.cfm?...ct_ID=280&DID=7

Erawan Rice Flour
http://www.asiafoods.com/asi/showdetl.cfm?...ct_ID=279&DID=7

Del
Del, I stopped in our little Asian market today and found them. Bingo, just the brand you said, so I'll be anxious to try this even though I have my doubts.
2 Asian Rices

Beth, the big difference is the grind. Plain white rice flour, like Bob's is gritty if used by it's self. Believe me, I know. I've made many gritty tasting GF brownies because I only had white rice flour in the house at the time to use... Kandee

--------------------

Thanks guys! new
      #156061 - 03/02/05 06:46 PM
Augie

I think I've actually seen these at Cubs food store. (conventional grocery store, if your not familiar with the name). Maybe I'm wrong though.

Anyhow, thanks again!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Thanks Kandee for the right link! nt new
      #156080 - 03/02/05 07:22 PM
del e

#156491 - 03/03/05 11:34 AM
Carol H

Saying it's glutenous so it's GF, makes no sense to me. Usually, if you add 'ous' to a word, it means it's full of whatever the meaning of the word is. For example, if you say something is voluminous, it means it's got lots of volume. So, to me, saying somthing is glutenous, would mean it has lots of gluten. I know rice doesn't contain gluten, but maybe it's added to make it more elastic like wheat?
Carol

Re: LS new
      #157067 - 03/04/05 01:19 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

not i! i take metamucil. acacia is definitely a gum as is benefiber. that's why it's so important to find the SFS that works best for you.

good q, bethie!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1298 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 16870

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review