All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
      #154744 - 02/27/05 03:30 PM
del e

Reged: 02/27/05
Loc: Clever, Mo

Hi,
I have been reading on the website for a few days and some here on the forum. I did a search but did not pull anything up about my question. I am celiac and would like to know if the gluten free grains are soluble fiber? I am suspecting yes, since quinoa is soluble. I want to make some bread with Amaranth flour. I have been trying this diet for the past 2 days.Don't really know if I have IBS or not, but something is happening to my gut!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I would guess... new
      #154835 - 02/28/05 03:29 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...that it depends on the grain. Anything wholegrain is going to be higher in IF.

Re: I would guess... new
      #154887 - 02/28/05 07:24 AM
del e

I am very new to this. I have read quite a bit on the website but don't recall the amount of fat (I am assuming IF means fat) I should eat or avoid. I did a search on the gluten-free flours and they are mostly high in protein. Here is a break down on Amaranth Dry:
1 cup contains:
15% fat, 69% carb and 15% protein calories
Does that help?
Thanks
Del

IF... new
      #154888 - 02/28/05 07:26 AM
Linz

...stands for Insoluble Fibre (see here for a list of abbreviations. If something isn't on there, let me know...I've just noticed that Insoluble Fibre is only down as ISF Sorry!

Have you done a search for amaranth?

I eat gluten free new
      #154892 - 02/28/05 07:42 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Amaranth is very insoluble. I think there is only like 5% SF and the rest is soluble. The only soluble gluten free grains that I know of are white rice and quinoa.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: IF... new
      #154894 - 02/28/05 07:53 AM
del e

Yes, I have. I think we posted at about the same time and you didn't see my post about that. Now that I know what IF stands for the amount of fiber is 29.6 gr. I saved the link to abbreviations so I can refer to it. thanks,
Del

The amount of fibre mentioned... new
      #154901 - 02/28/05 08:11 AM
Linz

...will be both IF and SF, unless specified.

Re: I eat gluten free new
      #154919 - 02/28/05 08:30 AM
del e

Hi Beth,
Nice to run into another celiac here! Can you share with me any soluble gluten free foods that you use or recipes for a bread, cracker or chip? Mostly I don't use already prepared gluten-free foods but make my own because of all the other things I am allergic/sensitive too, like fillers, gums etc.
Thanks for any help,
Del

Re: The amount of fibre mentioned... new
      #154921 - 02/28/05 08:38 AM
del e

Can I use it or how can I use it? I find the info about what is soluble and what is insoluble on searches to not be the same as what is on this site. I have found lists of soluble fibre foods that have insoluble fibre foods on the list (according to this site) and vise a versa. It it confusing!! How do I check a peticular food (and let it be according to Heather) besides just asking here?

Thanks, Del
Del

Re: I eat gluten free new
      #154942 - 02/28/05 09:33 AM
CathUK

Reged: 05/25/04
Loc: Cambridge, UK

Hi,

I ate gluten free for a year while my stomach was at its worst. I have a great bread recipe somewhere that uses bananas, gluten free flour, rice milk, bicarb of soda and cream of tartar. You bake it in a brownie tin and it is a bit like a foccacia in that it doesn't rise a lot - more like a cake mix really. You can make it more savoury by using carrots instead of the banana. If you would like me to post the recipe I could find it in my book collection.

A mixture of rice and buckwheat flour also makes a great ginger cake!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1025 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 16869

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review