All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Probiotics? Questions from a Newbie . .
      #154219 - 02/25/05 04:00 PM
HRAB

Reged: 02/25/05

First off . .Hi everyone!!! Been lurking for about 2 weeks and decided to post. I have IBS w/C and from reading other posts, I have a much, much milder IBS.

I started taking called Digestive Advantage IBS Tablets on Monday. I came across these on drugstore.com (one of my fave websites) and decided to give them a go. Ingredients are:Cellulose, Lactobacillus Cultures, L-Lysine, Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose, Maltodextrin, Magnesium Stearate, Flavor, FD&C Blue Lake, Red Sucrose Specs.

Well I don't want to jinx myself, but I think they're helping me. Hardly any gas, less bloating, less "noise" in the intestines altogether, BM's a-ok. :-) But here's my question:

Do probiotics of any type increase your appetite? I just noticed this week I'm a little more hungry and have been waking up in the a.m. hungry (which is not the norm.). I'm not sure if it's related or not.

Any advice from some Pro's?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Probiotics? Questions from a Newbie . . new
      #154458 - 02/26/05 12:34 PM
marjo

Reged: 01/13/04
Loc: Fort Wayne, Indiana

Hi, good question, I just started on them myself, last week. I am also more hungry, but I don't know how long it takes to feel if they are helping or not. I know a lot of people are on them, so hopefully someone will reply to your question.

--------------------
Everything somehow always works out for the best.

Welcome! Probiotics and appetite... new
      #154461 - 02/26/05 12:46 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Hi and welcome!

I seem to remember reading somewhere that probiotics have been proven to stimulate appetite; something about restoring the good bacteria in your stomach and it being more enticed to work better - or soemthing like that! lol Anyway, I think it's totally normal to have an increased appetite on probiotics. ACTUALLY I think they give probiotics to dogs and cats and horses and other animals to help with decreased appetite - not that you're an animal or anything, lol!

Anyway glad you found us and also that you're feeling good!

Marjo... new
      #154506 - 02/26/05 06:28 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Hi Marjo

If you've just started taking probiotics, give it a while. It takes a few weeks (typically) before you should start to notice results.

Also make sure you keep the bottle in the fridge to keep the live bacteria alive (if the bottle gets heated or frozen it becomes totally useless as all the live cells will be destroyed), and take it with meals to reduce the number of bacteria that get destroyed by stomach acid before they can do their work!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 772 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 544

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review