All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
My miracle drug - Modulon
      #15404 - 07/29/03 12:32 PM
kenneth

Reged: 05/05/03
Loc: Toronto Canada

I started a new prescription drug a little over a week ago that has helped me INCREDIBLY. It is called modulon. My doctor said it worked on the nervous system in the lower bowel specifically. I take 3 200mg tablets a day. I am no longer in constant pain, and my tolerance for vegetables has gone up. The IBS hasn't disappeared totally, I still have some slight "pulsing" in my stomach, but no where near as bad. I am still following the diet too.

I have heard that this drug is only in Canada, and I don't know if that is true or not. Here is some more info on it...
http://www.rxmed.com/b.main/b2.pharmaceutical/b2.1.monographs/CPS-%20Monographs/CPS-%20(General%20Monographs-%20M)/MODULON.html

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: My miracle drug - Modulon new
      #15414 - 07/29/03 12:48 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Does it work for IBS-D (diarrhea) or IBS-C (constipation)? Or both?

#15419 - 07/29/03 12:56 PM
kenneth

Actually I asked my Doc about that because I usually have C, but sometimes have D. He said it works for both, because it works on the bowel's nervous system that regulates bowel movements. He said that many people benefit from it, but to varying degrees. I've also tried dicetel in the past with not much success.

#15430 - 07/29/03 01:11 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Great! I will ask my gastro doc about it and see if it's available in the U.S/

#15530 - 07/30/03 07:39 AM
Corinne

Reged: 05/19/03
Loc: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

I'm currently on Dicetel but as you I'm not thinking it's really helping. I think what's helping more is the diet from Heather's book. Are you able to eat any of your triggers on Modulon? I'm due to see my doc soon and am wondering how you are doing on it. I am mostly D so anything that works.

--------------------
If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

#15804 - 07/31/03 11:42 AM
kenneth

Yesterday was my first attempt at trigger foods. I had macaroni & cheese and a dessert with whip cream. I found my stomach did react to them, but not nearly as bad as before. I had no real pain, just some rumbling. I am going to stick to the diet along with the modulon.

If you aren't having success with dicetel, I'd recommend giving modulon a try. They work in different ways so you might have more luck. I have found that I need the max dose on modulon, 3 200mg tablets a day. A couple months ago I was on half that, it helped somewhat but not like it does now! If you do try it, keep in mind it can take a few days before it reaches its full potential...

Good luck,
ken

#15895 - 08/01/03 06:15 AM
Corinne

Reged: 05/19/03
Loc: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

Thanks. I won't be seeing my doc for a few weeks yet but I'll mention it. Is it expensive?

--------------------
If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

#15984 - 08/01/03 11:50 AM
kenneth

Depends what you consider expensive! I think it works out to about $1/pill, and I take 3 a day. So I guess thats about $90/month. It is annoying, because even though I have coverage because I'm a student, it doesn't cover IBS drugs... but any half decent drug plan should.
Still, the $90/month is worth living a normal life.

Ken

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3480 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1682

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review