All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Suggested Drinks and spreads?
      #153856 - 02/24/05 08:46 PM
triumph

Reged: 02/22/05

Is there anything except water and pepermint tea (or other herbal teas) that can be consumed with out being a trigger.Is there a safe juice even during a flare up? My wife is so thirsty and is not a huge fan of water. What is a common IBS replacement for butter/marg, tomato sauce, salid dressing, cheese and is soy milk and other soy products safe?

Thank you,
Eric

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Suggested Drinks and spreads? new
      #153857 - 02/24/05 08:57 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Butter/margarine can be replaced with a vegan soy margarine, but please be advised that it's still pure fat, and since fat is an IBS trigger, you should use it VERY sparingly.

If your wife is in the middle of a flare up, she should probably stay away from things like tomato sauce. Tomato sauce is safe for a lot of us, but usually once we're stable. There are safe salad dressings, but she should DEFINITELY not be eating salad. Salad is difficult for even a perfectly stable IBS'er to digest... it's an absolute "no" for someone in the middle of a flare.

Soy milk is safe, but if she's never had it before, she should start very slowly with it, as soy can be gassy. There are soy-based cheese substitutes as well, but they do contain dairy derivatives, so if she's very sensitive to dairy, she might be better off learning to live without cheese.

Is she specifically looking for something to put on pasta? If so, I'll try to find some of our discussions on this in the past... you could also try a board search. We've definitely tossed around a lot of good ideas in the past.

As for drinks... I'm not sure what to suggest. Herbal teas and water are the only absolutely safe drinks. Cranberry juice is the only fruit juice that's considered safe, but the acidity can be a problem for some. She could maybe try it diluted with water first. Also, a good herbal tea that tastes a lot less like twigs and leaves is redbush or rooibus tea. Twinings sells a good one that your supermarket should have. I drink mine with a spoon of sugar and a splash of vanilla rice milk, and it's quite tasty.

#153859 - 02/24/05 09:16 PM
triumph

Casey,
Thank you for your reply and information. Yes, something to put on pasta. Is sugar safe? Currently we are reading everything we can find and we don't know what is fact or fiction. Thank you for your help and suggestions. We are new to this forum and medical issue. Is there a fat free type of spread, that doesn't taste like paste, in place of the fatty vegan one? Could you suggest a safe bread? Is Honey safe? Are cherios cerial safe. Currently, she snacks on Kix. This flare up has been going on for a long time. How long can they last? One last question, She is constantly hungry, never satisified even though she eats. Her stomach has a burning hunger feeling and is always present. Is a strong appitite normal with IBS? All of the symptom lists that I have been reading for IBS and UC say loss of appitite. One last thing, she was diagnosed with UC and now with the flare up the GI doc told her she has both IBS and UC. I was under the impression that they don't co-exist.

Thank you for everything,
Eric

#153861 - 02/24/05 09:39 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

That's right... they don't co-exist. Basically, a diagnosis of IBS is made when everything else has been ruled out through extensive testing... and "everything else" includes UC. So if she's had a colonoscopy, etc and has been diagnosed with UC, she has UC, not IBS. That's how I understand it, anyway. I'm no doctor, but I've had IBS for 18 years and if there's one thing I've learned, it's that doctors are NOT always right, hehe.

As far as I know, there is no fat-free spread. I use Smart Balance Light, which isn't a soy margarine, but it is vegan, and it's lower in fat. I still wouldn't go crazy with it, but she could give that one a try. Just be sure to get the LIGHT one - the regular Smart Balance contains dairy.

I *believe* Cheerios are safe, but hopefully someone else can weigh in on that one - personally, I think Cheerios are awful, so I'm not sure on that one, hehe. Rice Chex are safe, as are Honeycomb, and the basic cereals like puffed rice. Basically, she can have cereals that don't contain whole grains (whole wheat, wheat bran, oat bran, things like that) or high fructose corn syrup, so if there's something in particular that she's craving, it might be safe - just be sure to read the ingredients.

Sugar is safe. I've heard that honey can be irritating because of the high fructose content, but honestly, I've never had problems with it.

For safe bread, go with a bakery white bread. Most grocery store bakeries will list ingredients on the label, so you can check for dairy products and high fructose corn syrup. I don't know of any national brands that are 100% safe. Does she like bagels? Thomas' brand plain bagels are safe, as far as I know.

For a spread on toast, try an "all fruit" seedless jam - you know the kind, made with juice and no artificial sweeteners. I've been able to find seedless blackberry and seedless strawberry, and they've both been fine.

I'll have to come back to the pasta thing tomorrow. I'm having a flare-up of what I guess is carpal tunnel syndrome, and my poor hand feels like it's about to fall off!

PS - She can have rice too! It's good with sugar & soymilk as a breakfast cereal, and it's fine with soy sauce and seasonings for a change from bland pasta.

And you're welcome! It's what I'm here for.

a few more suggestions.. new
      #153932 - 02/25/05 05:32 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

drinks- tea, water with lemon/lime/orange

as to spreads- I love roasted garlic- easy to make, relatively fat free depending on how its done... most recipes call for a drizzle of olive oil but it works without that even...

you can also roast peppers and onions and then puree them to make yummy toppings, and the same things work well on pasta or bread or potatos....

good luck!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#153938 - 02/25/05 05:50 AM
JaneC

Reged: 02/20/05
Loc: England

Water really is the best, I'm afraid. Has she tried hot water? I find the heat helps soothe my stomach cramps a bit. Maybe a smidgen of lemon juice in water would be tolerable, and make it taste less like water? Or a smoothie-type drink with a banana base (I drink these instead of juice)? I would suggest soy or rice milk as well, but those contain quite a few calories, and I imagine you couldn't stay hydrated drinking something that filling.

I'm fairly new to this, and don't use spreads very often. When I do use a spread I use a light, vegan one which has added omega-3 oils. I don't know if oils make my tummy worse, but I'm steering clear of them in case.

Perhaps she could try a soy white sauce with pasta? That would make a creamy sort of sauce.

I don't eat cheese anyway, but I do eat hummus in sandwiches and things. For a cheese-like sandwich, I tend to use smoked tofu, which can be sliced.

I think soy is safe for me, but it's obviously an individual thing.

I hope your wife feels better.

--------------------
"This is truly the age of bacteria: as it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be."

#153959 - 02/25/05 06:53 AM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I eat cheerios alot so they are safe for me, I just eat the plain ones though. I also eat Special K and Oatmeal.
I drink cranberry juice occassionally for something different and can have it after a meal and diluted with water. Another snack I have been eating alot is applesauce and have been making recipes from the Eating For IBS cookbook for Chocolate Appplesauce Cake (more like a snack bread) and banana bread. These are filling and safe and easy to make. I slice them up and take them to work with me.
I buy bakery white bread from my grocery store and eat alot of rice and rice krispy treats .
I am not vegan but just thought I would submit some of what I eat in hopes of giving you some ideas.
I hope your wife feels more stable soon and it is great that you care so much to help her out. I can't imagine what it is truly like for our loved ones to watch us suffer as I know how much I can't stand watching other hurting.
All the best,
Beth

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

#154156 - 02/25/05 12:22 PM
babymom

Reged: 02/24/05

I drink a lot of tea- I think I keep Celestial Seasonings in business- I found one called Tummy Mint that I adore. I also can do the gatorade drink- Propel. I like it room temperature which goes down a lot easier and there are quite a few flavors. I also try to count calories and it's ok there too!

Thank you all new
      #154515 - 02/26/05 07:09 PM
triumph

Thank you all for your suggestions.

spread new
      #154519 - 02/26/05 07:20 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

I like the I Can't Believe It's Not Butter light SPRAY. I know it sounds weird, but it is pretty yummy on toast and stuff. It has barely any fat or calories because you end up using so very little. Give it a try.
I echo all the other suggestions. On pasta, I sometimes spray some Olive Oil Pam, and sprinkle some garlic salt and some lemon pepper. It doesn't taste like much but it's good enough when I'm feeling crappy.
Hope that helps.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1954 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1418

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review