All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Help - food allergies!
      #153749 - 02/24/05 01:37 PM
Michelle N.

Reged: 12/15/04

My food allergy test came back - I am highly responsive to dairy, eggs, soy, bananas, pineapple, and almonds, and moderately responsive to barley, beef, and wheat. What on earth am I going to eat? I have arranged for some Ezekiel bread from a coworker of my husband's, but what am I going to do for butter? And rice cheese has casein in it, so no cheese at all, and all soy foods are out completely. I am going to go crazy! And is it likely that my sons are allergic, too?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Help - food allergies! new
      #153784 - 02/24/05 03:47 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

yow- I'm trying to put that test off as long as I am doing so much better because of the fear of the results... I know the dairy is an allergy (hives) so I avoid all dairy, including rice cheeses and stuff- no cheese subs except for "soy parm" for me... but I can handle soy.. eek- try talking to people on some of the GF boards- with those wheat, etc allergies they can help, and I know a # of them when I was there were also dairy/soy or both allergic so you can find help...

Good luck!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#153794 - 02/24/05 04:32 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Quote:

My food allergy test came back - I am highly responsive to dairy, eggs, soy, bananas, pineapple, and almonds, and moderately responsive to barley, beef, and wheat. What on earth am I going to eat? I have arranged for some Ezekiel bread from a coworker of my husband's, but what am I going to do for butter? And rice cheese has casein in it, so no cheese at all, and all soy foods are out completely. I am going to go crazy! And is it likely that my sons are allergic, too?

Michelle,

Oh, I know it seems like the end of the world to you right now, but it really isn't. Don't think about what you can't have, think about what you can, and believe me, that's a lot when you start analyzing it. Once you get over the psychological shock you will come to find there are a ton of options out there. It's all about substitutions, not deprivation. Once you find out all the wonderful, tasty things you and your children CAN have, you will settle into the beginning of a healthier, happier lifestyle.
I've been allergic, and I do mean allergic, not intolerant or sensitive to wheat for over 27 years now. I've had IBS for 2 1/2 and was diagnosed gluten intolerant less than a year ago. I eat, and I eat well, in fact to well. You eventually will too.

Do a search here on all the boards for "gluten" and you will find a lot. Go to Celiac.com and read, read, read. If you don't cook or bake, learn to. It will seem overwhelming at first, but in a no time you will be a pro at all this. In the meantime ask any questions you'd like.

BTW, Have you been tested for Celiac Disease yet?

Wheat, dairy and soy are the top 3 allergens so you are not the only one out there that's allergic to those three.

Yes, I would arrange to have your children tested.

Kandee

--------------------

#153971 - 02/25/05 07:26 AM
nicky

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: Colorado

Hi, just my 2 cents, but I've been treated for food allergies (I wasn't even aware that I had any!) by an acupuncturist, and he uses something called N.A.E.T. You may want to look into it some, it has helped me a lot. Here are 2 websites where you can find some (hopefully) helpful information: http://healthplusweb.com/alt_directory/naet.html
http://www.naet.com/subscribers/what.html
Hope this helps.
Have a great day,

--------------------
nicky

Reputable food allergy testing, please advise! new
      #153992 - 02/25/05 08:13 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

What is the best way to be tested for either food allergies, or probably in my case, food intolerances?

I don't have a lot of money and can't afford to go to someone or order some crazy test that is a rip off or isn't valid and reputable.

I would love to know which foods are causing me problems, as I have been unable to do this on my own, even with a food diary, probably because I get delayed reactions days later. And I can eat a food fine once and then the next time I eat the same exact food, I hurt. I don't know if it's that food or a reaction to a food I may have ate a day or two earlier and I am attributing to problem to the wrong food?

I don't know if I trust these companies that have you send in a prick of finger blood. I don't know if I trust this lady who says she can do it by putting a clamp on my finger tips and getting a read-off with spikes (like a heart monitor type reading). And what if you aren't currently eating the food, does it still work? Like, I don't eat so because I'm leery of the bloating, so would any type of testing tell me if it truly is a problem if the food is not currently in my system?

Anyone with suggestions on a reputable food testing company or method? Or do you guys think it is a waste of money that I really need to watch right now.

Thanks to everyone who replies.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#154019 - 02/25/05 08:50 AM
AnneV

Reged: 06/10/04

My nephew recently got allergy tested. The test results showed that he was allergic to about 7 major food items - do not remember them all. My sister was like you - in a complete panic on what to feed him. Before she did any changes - she took him into Boston Childrens to be tested. They concluded that the only food item he had to remove was the soy protein. The other food items showed up in the test within nornal range. My advise - if you can afford to - get a second opinion. There is a lot of variation in these types of tests. Anne

bump for help-nt new
      #154422 - 02/26/05 09:10 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

The best/cheapest method... new
      #154470 - 02/26/05 01:25 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...is a withdrawal diet. You take EVERYTHING that could be a problem out of your diet for 3-4 weeks...then you re-introduce one...wait another 3-4 weeks...then re-introduce another food...etc. Montitor your symptoms...a symptom and food diary is useful and see if you get better in the first month and then worsen after you've added one food. NB. If you do get worse after adding one food (for the full 3-4 weeks), you really need to go back a step for another 34 weeks before adding a new food.

Complicated, time-consuming and annoying (esp. for the first month), but a d*mn good way to test.

Having said that, I had the electic probes attached to your toes test (which I thought was so screwy) and the results matched the withdrawal test!

#157841 - 03/07/05 10:39 AM
del e

Reged: 02/27/05
Loc: Clever, Mo

This is not new to me as I read her book when it first came out but at the time there were no practitioners close to me. By the link you gave, I found a practitioner close to me! Tell me some more about your treatments. How many times to you go and did the eliminations "take"?
Thanks for reintroducting me to this!
Del

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 992 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1172

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review