All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Taking Bentyl 3 Times a Day OK?
      #153549 - 02/24/05 05:56 AM
SkyeDawn

Reged: 11/18/03

Hi fellow IBSers. I was wondering if anyone else is taking Bentyl. Heather's diet has been a godsend, but I still get attacks and feel pretty sick much of every day. After trying Levsin, which didn't help much, my doctor wants me to take Bentyl half an hour before every meal. Does this sound like too much of a powerful drug? I've tried this regimen for a few days and I felt the best I have for years, but I am worried about its long-term effects. Thanks for any advice. Dawn

--------------------
"It is impossible to step into the same river twice." --Heraclitus.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Taking Bentyl 3 Times a Day OK? new
      #153558 - 02/24/05 06:18 AM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

Actually that is the normal dosage and it is pretty much harmless, as much as I know. I have been on it before and had no problems. The reason I no longer take it is because so many months into it, it stopped working. It should be a good backup to go along with a good diet, though. I have heard of others becoming immune to it, also. I beleive bentyl is about one of the weakest antispasmodics out there, and definately the one prescribed the most for IBS.

--------------------
-Sheri

#153560 - 02/24/05 06:26 AM
BJake66

Reged: 10/17/04
Loc: PA

Hello - I started off taking zelnorm..then my Doctor prescribed bentyl and levsin - 3-4 times per day. Now I hardly ever have an attack. (still taking zelnorm, bentyl and levsin). I think Laura Sue on the boards has been taking bentyl a long while. I totally trust my doctor (Yale University) and, whatever takes that agonizing pain away..I am all for it.

--------------------
Lisa

IBS-C, pain predominant

#153748 - 02/24/05 01:37 PM
SkyeDawn

Thanks for your replies, Lisa and Sheri. It makes me feel better about trying it on a daily basis. Hope it keeps working for a while. Have a great day!

Dawn

--------------------

#154199 - 02/25/05 03:19 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

I started back on it about 5 months ago after not taking it for years. It stopped working for me.(like someone else said)so I thought I'd give it a try again and it has been working ok. I still have attacks around my menstrual times(I don't think any medication prevents those attacks). But yes, I take it about 1/2 hr before I eat. I've kinda weaned myself down to just two a day. One before breakfast and one before lunch as I usually never have trouble with dinner(have no idea why )
Long term effects? Not sure. That concerns me though to as I once worked with an older coworker who did develop some heart troubles and the very reputable hospital that she went to blamed it on the Bentyl .
For now, I continue to take it. For how long? Not sure, I guess until it stops working again.
Hope this helped

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

#154368 - 02/26/05 05:40 AM
SkyeDawn

Thanks for the reply, Lisa. Your comment about the heart troubles is the type of thing that worries me. Taking something 3 times a day every day, especially if someone else had heart problems, is something that makes me worried (of course as an IBSer, I worry about just about everything anyway, right?!)

Well, it is helping a lot, so I guess I'll just keep on till it doesn't work anymore.

Dawn

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1520 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1047

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review