All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
'Survival bag'
      #153502 - 02/24/05 01:41 AM
JaneC

Reged: 02/20/05
Loc: England

I am determined to get well and beat my stomach problems once and for all. I thought of the idea of making a survival bag to take with me. I'd put teas, peppermint capsules (if I can find some gelatine-free ones) and a little pot with oats in it, perhaps some pretty neutral cereal bars, and the food journal I am starting. Does that sound nerdy or what?!

--------------------
"This is truly the age of bacteria: as it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be."

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Thats something I've been meaning to do.... new
      #153507 - 02/24/05 02:06 AM
nikjones_uk

Reged: 01/04/05

As I'm starting a job soon that requires a minimal amount of travelling, which will require a survival bag!! Do you know where you can get Oats that you can just do with a boiled kettle coz all the ones I've seen are microwavable only??

If it's nerdy, then... new
      #153526 - 02/24/05 04:34 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Go ahead, call me a nerd too! Hehe.

Any time I leave the house, I take the following in a bag:

- A couple safe snacks, usually a Luna bar and a baggie of dry cereal
- Imodium
- Meclizine or some other anti-nausea pill
- A few teabags - usually 1 peppermint and a couple redbush
- a tin of peppermint Altoids & a few ginger chews

Fortunately, I always carry a knitting project with me, so everyone's used to seeing me with a huge bag hanging off my shoulder... it's good camoflage for everything else I'm carrying.

Re: If it's nerdy, then... new
      #153527 - 02/24/05 04:39 AM
nikjones_uk

Immodium and tea bags I always carry - but those darn Altoids aren't sold over here - even though they make them in the UK!! Daft or what!

#153529 - 02/24/05 05:01 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I take things with me all the time.. again I'm a knitter, so I have a tiny little purse that I use soemtimes, but most of the time I have a big knitting bag or backpack with me as well... sometimes my tiny purse is used as a wallet in a larger purse instead.

I always have nulev, simethecone, and imodium with me... along with a bottle of water and a few luna bars,altoids and sometimes a container of cheerios..

to work I don't carry those things because I keep spares of all in the car except luna bars in summer, and in my desk drawer at work... I also keep peppermint/fennel tea at work and peppermint caps..

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Re: altoids new
      #153534 - 02/24/05 05:32 AM
JaneC

They sell them in some chemists. My uni's chemist had them today.

--------------------
"This is truly the age of bacteria: as it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be."

Re: Thats something I've been meaning to do.... new
      #153535 - 02/24/05 05:33 AM
JaneC

I use plain oatmeal (Tesco Value, in fact) and I either do it in a pan on the hob or in the microwave. Since I cook them with water, I imagine you could do it with boiling water as well- I'll have a go and see. I generally eat whole foods so I haven't tried any packets of porridgey things...

--------------------

Re: 'Survival bag' new
      #153536 - 02/24/05 05:36 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

If this is nerdy, I'm a nerd too! I don't leave home without my SFS, enzymes and other supplements....and I've been known to bring along fresh sweet potatoes for a weekend at my mom's when my stomach is acting goofy! I think for those of us determined to beat this thing - or at least live with it peacably - survival bags are a necessity!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Re: Thats something I've been meaning to do.... new
      #153545 - 02/24/05 05:54 AM
nikjones_uk

Great. I'll give it a go. Ready Brek do a sachet variety, I might try it with that!!

Taylahmai...... new
      #153547 - 02/24/05 05:55 AM
nikjones_uk

That is great news - I haven't seen them anywhere in Bath/Bristol, maybe I'm not looking in the right places?!? That really is great news!! If I can get some I will send some over to you xx

#153579 - 02/24/05 07:31 AM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I have one of those I carry around in my purse with me at all times.....it's not nerdy at all, in fact, it's a brilliant idea!!

#153580 - 02/24/05 07:34 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Sign me up for the nerd club then! lol

Whenver I leave the house I always bring
- Altoids
- peppermint tea bags
- peppermint caps, enzymes
- melba toast or bagels or rice crackers or some other quick snack
- some acacia mixed with water

My car glove compartment is filled with this stuff and I'm always finding stray tea bags in pockets in my purses and bags! lol

Better prepared then sorry, right?

#153622 - 02/24/05 09:12 AM
Meryl36

Reged: 09/03/04
Loc: Dallas, Texas

You can include me in the Nerd club too LOL.
I never leave the house without: gas x, lactaid pills, water with acacia & some sort of safe munchie such as rice chex. At work I'm even worse! I've got a box of tummy tea, a tupperware full of acacia, a box of rice chex, fennel caps, peppermint caps & assorted other munchies that I bring from home each day. Almost everyone at work knows about my tummy problems so no one even gives me a second glance when I come into work carrying 4 different bags (lunch, shoes, tummy stuf, & files from previous night's work)
In summy, no you're not a nerd, you're just dealing with this thing the best you can.
Meryl

ginger vs. peppermint altoids new
      #153625 - 02/24/05 09:19 AM
babymom

Reged: 02/24/05

what does everyone prefer?? I finally found the ginger flavor but keep reading about the peppermint?

Each would be good for something different... new
      #153665 - 02/24/05 10:33 AM
atomic rose

They're both good, of course, but ginger would be more useful for nausea, where peppermint is better as an antispasmodic. (Note that you have to down a lot of them to equal what you'd get in a capsule, but still.) So it really depends on what you're wanting them for. I've never bought the ginger ones, because I don't think ginger candy is really strong enough when I'm nauseous - I tend to chew on crystalized ginger (or the ginger chews I mentioned, which are REALLY strong and not sweet).

Re: Each would be good for something different... new
      #153670 - 02/24/05 10:37 AM
babymom

Thanks, that REALLY helped!!

#153689 - 02/24/05 11:13 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

I have a metal cylinder with a screw top on it that's a pill holder I got at Walgreen's that I have attached to my keys with Immodium, peppermint caps, and some Aleve (for migraines and random aches). That way I always have them on me when I'm out. I also usually carry peppermint candies in my pocket as well, or they're in my laptop bag when I'm at work.

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

#153706 - 02/24/05 11:59 AM
suzyq

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: Northern Ont. Canada

I call this my" never leave home with out it bag"! Usual contents is immodium,gas x, tums, safe snack bars ( I can eat granola bars and nutrigrain bars), and rice cakes; bottle of water, extra undies and maxi pads (in case I have liquid gas! ) Only time this bag is not with me is when I go my walks or gone for a few minutes. Your survival bag sounds great! Also keep doing the food journal! I've been doing a journal now for about 10 yrs and it does help! Take care Sue

Food Journal new
      #153735 - 02/24/05 12:59 PM
babymom

Just looking for good tips for a food journal- haven't started one yet but have been contemplating. What all do you track??

Re: Food Journal new
      #153739 - 02/24/05 01:10 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

I don't do it as often any more but I did it for about a year and it really helped.

I wrote down everything I ate: how much, what time it was, who I ate with, where I ate it, and how I was feeling (my body/mind/emotions etc.). I also wrote down all my BM's and any time I had cramps or bloating etc., including any connections I made to those feelings with what I had eaten or done that day. I also wrote down all exercise (I was exercising a lot then), including cardio, weight lifting, yoga, even short walks. Basically any time something was going on with my stomach, it got written down in that journal!

I used FITDAY.COM for this and it made it really easy! I highly recommend it. I still use it just not as much any more.

Hope that helps!

#153746 - 02/24/05 01:33 PM
babymom

thanks- I have been debating doing it all week- I guess now that I have found support it's a great time to start!

#153838 - 02/24/05 07:27 PM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

hi! your survival bag sounds JUST like something i would do myself! and i too have started a food journal--2 actually--1 for writing down what i eat in a day and another for writing down the different pains i feel and reactions i have to certain foods. i saw that you mentioned hunting for gelitan-free peppermint caps--are you a vegan?? or can your system not handle gelatin? im taking peppermint caps and was so excited to find some that had organic oils in them--but i am also looking for ones that dont have gelatin too as im a vegan. are you taking any now? have you come across any that are the ones youre looking for?? im not all that sure on how to shop for vitamins or supplements--im too scared of stepping over my vegan-boundry! food is easier to identify but when theres all the minerals in the ingredients, it makes it tricky! let me know if youre able to find caps sans gelatin?? ta ta!

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

#153839 - 02/24/05 07:32 PM
little bear

hi jessica! havent talked to you in awhile! how have you been? i have 2 journals. one i write down everything i eat in one day. and i highlight the foods that give me problems. and the second one i write down the pains i feel in a day. im trying to keep up with them. sometimes the pains are the same for more then a day so i end up skipping writing as there is nothing to update or include. my food one is really teeny so it can fit in my purse and i dont feel like its as noticable. good luck for starting one, whenever you do! send a note back to let me know how youre doing!!

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

#153863 - 02/24/05 09:46 PM
little bear

what kind of ginger chews do you take? would you recommend them? does ginger have any bad side-effects?

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

Ginger.... new
      #153884 - 02/25/05 12:46 AM
nikjones_uk

I carry some crystallised ginger, they have a bit of raw cane sugar on them, but I prefer that, as ginger is a bit of an acquired taste!!

altoids UK version new
      #153889 - 02/25/05 02:45 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

M&S do a tin of "curiously strong mints" that ARE altoids. Also I remember Natalie said she found them either in Tesco or Sainsburys...
If you are not too dairy sensitive try Go ahead apple bake bars, I bring them or a lunabar with me all the time. I always keep savoury stuff in the car and have little bags of pretzels (M&S again) and sweeties I can eat in my drawer at work, and fruit teabags

--------------------
S.

Ashley-Two Jessica's now new
      #154012 - 02/25/05 08:41 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Ashley, just wanted to let you know that you were probably thinking this was from our Jessica28 who has been posting for a while now. Jessicas is newer.

So, just wanted to help you not get them confused. I did the same thing!! Thinking I was posting to Jessica28 (from Arizona)!

BTW, haven't seen you on the boards lately. Glad you're back!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Ginger People new
      #154036 - 02/25/05 09:24 AM
babymom

Has anyone tried candy from the Ginger People?? My mother- in-law found them at mArshalls but they have a website that is tempting- and they are fat-free www.gingerpeople.com and delicious!

Re: 'Survival bag' the coolest thing around! new
      #154041 - 02/25/05 09:34 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I carry snacks with me, my vitmains, i'm home most of the time...but I used to carry tea and my SFS as well! I thin it's great! Look how we all take care of ourselves so well! We rock!!!!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Those are the ginger chews I buy! new
      #154042 - 02/25/05 09:34 AM
atomic rose

Oh my goodness, they are so good! And gingery and hot! And addicting!

I also use their jarred grated ginger, for cooking, and I like it - nice and strong.

Re: Those are the ginger chews I buy! new
      #154061 - 02/25/05 09:57 AM
babymom

LOVE LOVE LOVE them!! and don't you think they are pretty inexpensive?? do you order them online??

Hi Ashley new
      #154190 - 02/25/05 02:20 PM
jessica28

Reged: 08/10/04
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Hi! I haven't been on much lately. I'm getting ready to get married next week, so been busy. How are you doing? Hopefully I won't get all sick in Cancun! I will email you when I get back...

Jessica28

#154232 - 02/25/05 04:15 PM
suzyq

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: Northern Ont. Canada

For the food journal I write down everything I eat.ex. today: breakfast- oatmeal crisp cereal/lactaid milk/tea; snack- banana/soy yogurt/cranberry juice; lunch- homemade soup/tuna wrap/baked apple; snack-slice banana bread/cammomile tea; dinner- baked chicken breast/baked potatoe/carrots&peas. Lots of water during the day, and right now drinking a cup cammomile tea,just finished my evening walk. Later will probably have some frozen yogurt. I also write down how many BM's & times I go for the day. This helps me with triggers. Hope this helps. Sue

Re: Those are the ginger chews I buy! new
      #154326 - 02/25/05 08:40 PM
atomic rose

I'm pretty lucky... our health food store has them, so I haven't had to order them online. They are pretty inexpensive. We tend to buy a couple pounds at a time, heh.

#154331 - 02/25/05 10:36 PM
jasperlovel

Reged: 05/21/03

jane that is a neat idea. jasper

--------------------
ive had ibs for 8 years now. im learning alot on this web board. thanks again everyone

Right I'm off to Tesco :) - nt x new
      #154338 - 02/26/05 01:06 AM
nikjones_uk

#154345 - 02/26/05 03:29 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Not nerdy at all!

My purse has Imdoium, Gravol, Gas-X, Tylenol, Advil, and whatver else in it. I am a walking pharmacy and my friends always joke about it.

My desk are at work is well stocked with very type of herbal tea that you could imagine. And I always keep a box of plain crackers at work just in case I need to settle my stomach at any point.

We have to do what makes us feel better.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2323 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 14832

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review