All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
It's easy to dissolve Acacia
      #153391 - 02/23/05 04:24 PM
TERRIEAZ

Reged: 02/23/05

A good and simple way to dissolve Acacia is to fill a glass with water, add the Acacia, then insert a medium size wisk into the glass and vigorously roll the handle between your palms a few times. It dissolves the Acacia within seconds!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

another trick... new
      #153409 - 02/23/05 05:10 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

if you are actually wanting it in liquid and not in soemthing thicker- just put it in, stir a bit and walk away.. it will dissolve in about 5-10 minutes on its own! I do that all the time in tea as its cooling, add the acacia slightly before I'm ready to drink!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

that's what I do too new
      #153425 - 02/23/05 06:06 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

While the tea steeps it dissolves the fiber. For morning I put it in hot cereal and that is even easier.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Mixing acacia in advance... new
      #153430 - 02/23/05 06:34 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Great idea. What I've started doing actually is mixing up 3 days worth of acacia in a water bottle (2 tbsp of water to 1 tbsp of acacia), shaking it up a bit and then putting it in the fridge. It dissolves completely with absolutely no little bits in it, and it's SO much easier to use every time I need to take some because it's already dissolved!

Re: Mixing acacia in advance... new
      #153433 - 02/23/05 06:38 PM
AllisonL

Reged: 01/19/05
Loc: Chapel Hill, North Carolina

ooh, that is a good idea. i have been getting annoyed with the several clumps of it that float on top of the tea and never seem to dissolve. It seems worse in really hot drinks too. I will start mixing it up.

for Allison new
      #153435 - 02/23/05 06:47 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I thought you were taking citrucel? Do you find the acacia more beneficial? Are you having any side effects?

I'm taking citrucel but thinking of switching.

Did you take powder or caplets of citrucel?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: for Allison new
      #153438 - 02/23/05 06:51 PM
AllisonL

I still take citrucel. I pretty much take Acacia or benefiber with any hot drink I have during the day, at least 2 or three. Then I take citrucel mixed in with half grapefruit juice half water or half gatorade half water about once a day. The citrucel is really thick, it is like jello, so i can tolerate it if it is fruity. I think the citrucel is pretty helpful. I switched to Acacia from benefiber because it is cheaper. I still like benefiber better because it absorbs better and I have a better grasp on the dosage that I like. I am not that stringent on dosing, I just have it (1 Tbsp) whenever I get the chance. Wow, I am impressed that you remembered I was taking Citrucel! I do think having a combo works better than just one.

I'm "on the fence" about citrucel new
      #153559 - 02/24/05 06:24 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

so I pretty much notice everyone who posts that they are taking this SFS to see what their experience with it is!

How much SFS in fiber grams do you take a day in acacia and in citrucel?

BTW, I noticed that you were taking benefiber tabs for a while. Wanted to let you know those contain sorbitol, so watch that if you ever decide to pop one for convenience.

Do you have an email address? I would love to get some sample daily meals that you eat since you seem to be having success with your BMs. Or you could email me. My email is in my profile (deerbeth@yahoo.com).

I'd love to get some ideas for daily meals from another Cer.

Oh, since you are finding yourself A, maybe try peeling your fruit again. That might help. Or reduce the amount of prunes you are eating.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: I'm "on the fence" about citrucel new
      #153567 - 02/24/05 06:59 AM
AllisonL

Hey,

I will send you an email in a little bit. My email is allison_valentine@med.unc.edu
I should really calculate the amount of SFS I end up taking, I guess it is usually like 2 doses of acacia, maybe one benefiber and one citrucel. This would be if I am really good. Sometimes I forget. So that is about 9.5-14 grams. Is that normal? Oh, I had tried the benefiber tabs for convenience but they dont work as well as in a nice hot drink I have found. Yep, just checked them and sorbitol is the 2nd ingredient. Well, those are going in the trash! I will beware cause I am not eating any more artificial sweeteners. In fact I tried Stevia Plus and got a lot of bloating from that. So am just sticking with sugar and trying to just not use quite as much. I have stopped eating prunes for about a week cause I accidentally bought the kind with pits, yuck! So, my dried fruit has been papaya, mango, raisins, and apricot. I love dried papaya and mango kept in the fridge. Will talk to you soon.

Re: another trick... new
      #153585 - 02/24/05 07:43 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Amie, Thanks for this reply. I never thought of doing that in the past. Just put it in water and drank it, undissolved or not. Tried letting it set and it worked. That's what I'll do every time now.

Kandee

--------------------

Re: for Allison new
      #168508 - 04/09/05 11:20 AM
sweetasc6h12o6

Reged: 03/22/05
Loc: Saint Louis, MO

I just started taking Citrucel yesterday and I seem to tolerate it much better than the Metamucil I was taking (talking about bloating!!!) I was wondering how much you take (dosage-wise) every day? I looked at the content of fiber in it (2g Methylcellulose) and I am unsure of how much to take. I was taking two heaping tablespoons of Metamucil every day and it worked for about 1-2 weeks but then stopped working and caused some serious bloating! I was unsure if I need to take the same amount of Citrucel as the Metamucil or if it's a different amount because it's a different fiber? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just really confused and new to all this fiber-supplement stuff Thanks so much!

Re: It's easy to dissolve Acacia new
      #168600 - 04/09/05 07:52 PM
Angie113

Reged: 12/31/04
Loc: Alternate b/w Northern and Southern California

does anyone have tips for dissolving Acacia in rice or soy milk? It often seems to form weird clumps that sink to the bottom and then I don't realize until I get to the bottom of the cup! Thanks!

--------------------
~Angela

#168627 - 04/10/05 12:17 AM
sweetasc6h12o6

Reged: 03/22/05
Loc: Saint Louis, MO

Try mixing it together in a blender. I have to do that with my probiotic stuff b/c when I try to mix it with a spoon in a glass it gets all nasty and clumpy. Just make sure when you put it in the blender that it doesn't get all pasty and think...that'd be kind of gross

#168642 - 04/10/05 01:43 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I just make sure to stir to the bottom of the glass with a teaspoon. As long as you know it's gonna try and do that then it's easy to prevent.

Thanks guys!-nt- new
      #169549 - 04/13/05 10:31 AM
Angie113

Reged: 12/31/04
Loc: Alternate b/w Northern and Southern California

--------------------
~Angela

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1105 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2538

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review