All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Anyone here with IBS also have Interstitial Cystitis too?
      #152495 - 02/21/05 01:57 PM
HeidnOut

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: CA, USA

Hey everyone - I was diagnosed about 18 yrs. ago with IC. When I started having my first round of IBS attacks came in May of 2004 and I've had a serious case of them. It wasn't until last summer when I found out that IC and IBS go hand in hand.

I'm curious if anyone here does happen to have them, do you still use these different teas and do you seem to find it helpful in both areas> Thanks! HS

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Anyone here with IBS also have Interstitial Cystitis too? new
      #152646 - 02/21/05 08:34 PM
jenkins

Reged: 02/12/04

Yes, I have IC and IBS. I drink the peppermint and chamomile(sp?) teas regularly with excellent results gastro-wise. So my answer is that the teas help with the IBS. It never dawned on me that the teas could be irritating my bladder though. Peppermint has a relaxing effect on the gastro-muscles so it would have the same effect on the bladder muscles. However, do you think that it could be irritating the bladder from the inside like citrus or other acidic liquids? I have never noticed a link between my ingestion of peppermint tea and bladder pain or cramping. I will start observing closer now, and will be hard-pressed to give up the comfort that the peppo-tea gives me.
I would be very interested in knowing where to find your sources that say IBS and IC go hand in hand. I have never heard this and am very interested in reading more.
BTW, I'm a male and I take either Detrol LA or Ditropan XL for my IC. These drugs help some but should work better in my opinion.

#152780 - 02/22/05 09:08 AM
HeidnOut

Greetings!

It wasn't until last summer while on another board "specifically" for IC (free of charge) that many of the IC'ers also have IBS. On 1/29/05 when the ambulance had to take me to the ER for severe lower left pelvic/groin pain, because I couldn't sit or stand we had to call 911. When I got to the hospital and they began running tests, one of the Dr.'s there asked me if I was aware of the fact that (and I quot) IC and IBS go hand as he crossed his thumb and index finger. I found on the other board that many of the IBS'ers also have IC. It just seemed like more of them are IBS -C. When I'm not "C" at times I end up becomming more D.

If you would like to check it out, let me know and I will provide you with that information. I'm really enjoying this site because it deals specifically with IBS where the other one deal more with IC. Their diets are quite similar to the IBS diets. So, if you need IC support, that's a link worth checking out but for the IBS, you'll get more information on this site.

I would send this link into this posting but if I remember everything I read about the rules to this board, I can't do that on the board. It's mainly women but we do have a couple of men with IC on the board as well. My email address is: time2heid@cs.com Good luck and take care. HS

Please provide any help you can on IC. Thanks! new
      #153957 - 02/25/05 06:51 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

Hi! I am highly suspicious that I am suffering from IC in addition to my IBS. I have a cousin newly diagnosed with IC. Could you please tell me how this is diagnosed? Does your gyn do this or your gi? Any help greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

I am very interested in this information. Any info you can offer? -nt- new
      #153995 - 02/25/05 08:20 AM
bamagirl

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Bump -nt- new
      #154077 - 02/25/05 10:20 AM
bamagirl

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Re: Please provide any help you can on IC. Thanks! new
      #156136 - 03/03/05 12:48 AM
HeidnOut

IC is diagnosed by a Urologist. They do several tests to determine it. Since everyone is different as in the case of IBS it's very difficult to get a handle on but it can be done. I can also tell you from personal experience that it can and does go into remission but can also come of out remission and go back into remission again. So far there has been no cure. There are many speculations as to how people develop IC but no definites that I've become aware of. Heidi time2heid@cs.com

Re: Anyone here with IBS also have Interstitial Cystitis too? - Jenkins new
      #156137 - 03/03/05 12:52 AM
HeidnOut

I also belong to an IC message board where I first got my information about many IC'ers who also suffer from IBS. Last month when I had to go to the hospital with IBS the ER Dr. had told me as he crossed his fingers and stated that IC and IBS go hand in hand. Take care and don't give up. I take regular Ditropan as it seems to work better for my bladder. I've not had any troubles at all with the Peppermint or Chamomile teas recommended by Heather. If nothing else, I think it seems to help. Heidi

If you're intersted in the IC part of your health, if it's allowable email me and I will give you the website for that. time2heid@cs.com

Re: I am very interested in this information. Any info you can offer? -nt- new
      #156138 - 03/03/05 12:54 AM
HeidnOut

I think I may have replied to your posting but not sure. Email me and I will help you out with the IC part. Heidi time2heid@cs.com

Re: Anyone here with IBS also have I? Correction to this posting. new
      #156422 - 03/03/05 09:45 AM
HeidnOut

What I meant to say is that the ER Dr. has crossed his fingers and asked me if I was aware that IC and IBS go hand in hand. I know of many people on the IC board who either use or have used in the past a product called Prelief which is used for both. Here is a quote from the Prelief website:

Note: Did you know that an estimated 40%1 of interstitial cystitis patients also have irritable bowel syndrome? Visit the interstitial cystitis section of our website to see how Prelief can help with interstitial cystitis sufferers.

Hope this information helps support what I've been told. Heidi

#157130 - 03/04/05 06:22 PM
joylyn

Reged: 03/04/05

I wanted to let you know that I do have IC. I have had IBS for years, but just found out 2 years ago that I have IC. I tried eliminating trigger foods from my diet first and found that sourdough bread and too much tomato sauce were causing all my symptoms. After eliminating them from my diet, I gradually got off the Detrol LA and am doing fine with no medication. That is, unless I try to eat sourdough bread or too many tomatoes and then my symptoms return. I always kept sourdough bread for whenever I had an IBS flare up, so now I keep Italian and French bread. You wouldn't think those two foods (sourdough bread and tomatoes) would cause so much pressure, pain and urinating 20-30 times a day, but they sure were. I'm so thankful to have such a caring urologist that gave me the food list of different foods that trigger IC and the one food that I always ate to help with IBS was causing IC.

Joylyn new
      #157275 - 03/05/05 11:05 AM
HeidnOut

Hi Joylyn!!

After reading your posting I can honestly say that I too don't really have any reactions to a specific kind of food, that I have been able to pinpoint with the IC problem. I know tomatoes have a terrible effect on many IC'ers but I eat them fine as I also do with most breads and other foods. Since the IBS, I've only been eating mainly white bread and sometime French bread. I seem to tolerate wheat breads well but have only cut them out as I'm trying to follow Healther's information as closely as I can. I once in a while fall off the wagon but not very often. I've yet to find what triggers my IC other than lack of sleep. I used to be a police dispatcher and we had constant rotating shift work which threw my body so out of whack when the IC started. Once I changed careers and started working a normal shift it went into remission.

I don't know if you've been to any of the IC boards but I see so many people that can't eat hardly any kind of regular foods. I consider myself in that respect to be very fortunate when it comes to IC. With IBS however, I find that it's a bit more difficult for me. I haven't even pinned a specific food with IBS either. I'm thinking since I'm Perimenopausal and that's when many of my symptoms seem to appear, that it's partly hormonal and the attacks have also happened after serious stressful situations. Like when my Grandmother died less than a year ago, and then in January when a string of "very" stressful events happened all within 3 weeks.

Because the pain is so great and I have literally told my Mom if things were really backed up in me with the IBS problem to just "let me go" I've been watching what I eat much better than before.

It's nice to know that there are some IBS'ers who also can relate to the IC problems even though we're allo different.

Take care. Heidi

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1041 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2251

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review