All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
safe foods
      #152258 - 02/20/05 07:46 PM
satree

Reged: 02/20/05

I make soy smoothies everyday now... I use FAT FREE LOW CALORIE KIND of 8th continent soy milk vanilla flavored, frozen strawberries, banannas,blueberries it's sooo good and it doesn't screw up my stomach...
I also eat sliced frozen banannas alot, they help with my severe constipation... I eat alot of green beans and they seem not to hurt my stomach... what else would be safe?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: safe foods new
      #152308 - 02/21/05 06:02 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Do you mean for snacks or for meals? There are a lot of recipe suggestions on the recipes board and otherwise make sure to read Heather's information pages on soluble and insoluble fibers and trigger foods. starting here . But it is true that it is confusing at first to know what can be eaten. For many the fat content has to be very low (20%) and raw veggies and even some fruits are hard to tolerate especially at first. For the basis of your diet white rice, cereals and oatmeals, fresh breads, coooked root veggies and pastas are best. Also try baking some of the good dessert/breakfast breads in Heather's book and on the recipe page.
A word of cuation: sometimes temperature bothers people and so frozen bananas maybe aren't a good idea. It is better to eat them at room temperature. Also smoothies are great but have no SF so they should be eaten after something like toast or cereal or a muffin.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: safe foods new
      #152343 - 02/21/05 08:41 AM
Tissy

Reged: 07/15/04
Loc: Baltimore, MD

Look at this list of foods for ideas b/c they are considered safe when your tummy is real upset. But they are not the only foods you can eat.

What to eat when you can't eat anything

And stay away from these foods they are considered triggers.

Trigger Foods

Then from there you can establish what things you can and cannot eat. Everyone is different like some can eat ground turkey and others can't. Things like skinless organic chicken and fish are generally safe. You can also check recipe board for ideas.

Christie

--------------------
Christie
~Hoping and Praying for Sleep!~

About ground turkey new
      #152346 - 02/21/05 08:45 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I thought that was safe for everyone. What is in it that might cause a problem for some if it is extra lean?

wouldn't it be just like Chicken?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: About ground turkey new
      #152353 - 02/21/05 08:51 AM
nikjones_uk

Reged: 01/04/05

Its odd, I'm fine with chicken but turkey I have trouble with, shame coz its so nice!! I can actually feel my digestive system slowing right down when I eat it!

maybe its the triptophan- nt new
      #152405 - 02/21/05 10:32 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

5-htp ....hydroxytryptophan new
      #152411 - 02/21/05 10:46 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

I take this for PMS, and has worked beautifully. As IBS-C should I be concerned of an adverse effect? I've been on this now for several months, and have noticed great improvement in PMS symptoms and better sleep. I'd be interested to know. Thanks.

--------------------
God is Faithful!

#152543 - 02/21/05 04:16 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

As far as I know GROUND turkey isn't always all white meat, sometimes it's ALL dark meat. Not sure why you'd have trouble with just turkey Niki, maybe Minnie's right about the chemical in it though.

Anyway for ground turkey just make sure you check the fat level. If it's low enough then you should be safe as far as triggers go...

But remember, EVERYONE'S DIFFERENT! Some people can eat things that are huge triggers for other people with no problems, while some can't eat things that are seemingly safe. Frustrating yes, but we all have to find out individually what works for us.

I agree... new
      #152616 - 02/21/05 06:58 PM
Tissy

Reged: 07/15/04
Loc: Baltimore, MD

some people have problems w/ ground turkey b/c it is not always all white meat. And we are all different what bothers one person may not bother another. We discussed this before on a thread and it was pretty much half and half on who could tolerate ground turkey or turkey hotdogs.

Christie

--------------------
Christie
~Hoping and Praying for Sleep!~

#177383 - 05/07/05 11:48 PM
notadocter

Reged: 04/26/05

I've had problems with my stomach tonight. I had 3 spoons of applesauce, then Butterball ground turkey with a can of corn, green chilli, and salsa which had me d, gas, and bloated.
I wanted to figure out what is to blame, so I can phase it out.
Is the Butterball ground turkey safe, it has 8 grams of fat and 22 grams of protein, I had 4 servings of this.
What about corn, I know corn is insoluable, but I had 3 spoons of applesauce, soluable fiber prior to this, I guess maybe that was too little.

#177406 - 05/08/05 06:59 AM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

no matter how much SF I would have beforehand my body cannot digest corn and it causes me D and pain, I also cannot eat green chili or salsa. I have GERD as well though so I stay away from high acidic foods like tomotoes, onions and peppers. This is just me though and it might not be the same for you. I hope you figure out what caused you the trouble.

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

#177416 - 05/08/05 08:12 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Ok I'm guessing on lots of the values here but from what you said about that meal my guess is that you had about 2 cups of ground butterball turkey (4 servings), a whole can (15 oz?) of corn and around 1/2 cup of green chili with salsa, and 3 spoonfuls of applesauce before.

If so, that is a HUGE meal. Almost 1000 calories right there, and a whopping 32% fat (you should stick to only meals below 20%, and more likely in the range of 10-15%, especially when you're just starting out).

So there are a few big problems here:
- way too much food at one sitting
- way too much fat
- and yup, applesauce before is not near enough of a soluble fiber base for a meal. You need to have rice or bread or a potato or something with a meal to make it safe.

I also have problems with corn in that I can't eat it at all (corn as a grain, i.e. corn bread or corn flakes now and then seem to be ok). But like Bethany for many people it can cause D.

Hope that helps, and that you're feeling better soon.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 622 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1595

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review