All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Work, Diet, and IBS
      #151570 - 02/18/05 08:41 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I was wondering how you all manage IBS and working. What do you take for lunch? Do you find you have to work PT? What do you do if you experience an attack at work? Do your coworkers know, are they supportive?

I just feel very anxious eating at work. I try to eat something light, but if you have any ideas on a good lunch to pack, please share. Right now, I'm only working part-time, which has made life easier. I've been stable on this diet (yay!) for a while, but I still get nervous. When I'm not doing so well, I'm afraid I won't be able to continue working and I just feel useless!

Thanks so much for any suggestions.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Work, Diet, and IBS new
      #151577 - 02/18/05 09:03 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Check out the

Snacks, Quick Foods, and Good Grub to Grab in a Hurry list

for ideas. I always used to take something like sandwiches of tuna with light mayo an avocado and other snacks, plus my own tea bags and soy milk.

I found Immodium a Godsend for work.

#151589 - 02/18/05 09:28 AM
Dia

Reged: 02/04/05
Loc: Tucson, AZ

That's great that you're stable on this diet! Lunch at work definitely takes some planning, though.

I usually take a Thai Kitchen Noodle Bowl - it just needs hot water to prepair. Amy's brand has some safe frozen foods that are nuke-able. Also recipes like the asparagus-limon pasta gives me tons of leftovers that I take the rest of that week.

And don't forget the "snacks" so you can eat a little bit all day long. I like banannas, applesauce in indiviual containers, graham crackers, Luna bars, and a few slices of the fruit bread, if I've gotten around to making it the weekend before.

Hope this helps give you some ideas!

--Myra

--------------------
IBS-D

#151590 - 02/18/05 09:29 AM
Meryl36

Reged: 09/03/04
Loc: Dallas, Texas

Work is definietly the worst time for me. I'm an accountant so I sit all day & that's what seems to kill me. I'm fine if I eat & then walk around or do something but when I eat & then sit....the gas builds up & although I was fine in the morning, by 2 or 3 I can't wait to get home & put on my comfy sweats! In answer to your question, this week has been great for me. I think I may have hit upon a system for myself. I'm IBS-C & here's what I do.
Wake up at 5:30am & walk 3 miles on the treadmill. (exercise is really important). While I walk I drink about 20 oz of water. Then it's a smoothie of soy milk, frozen bananas & 7.5 grams of SFS. When I get to work I fill a 16oz bottle with water & 1/2 teaspoon of aciaca. By 10:30 I munch on oriental rice snack mix that I get from the HFS. I eat lunch at 1:00 & start off by having about a cup of white rice then some plain turkey or MSF imitation chicken (trying to go more veggie). In the afternoon I'll snack on some applesauce or raw carrots.
The bottom line is that I don't eat too much at one sitting & always have safe foods in my drawer or the kitchen. Eating small meals through out the day REALLY seems to help. That & taking my sfs during the day & not just in the am. Oh, I don't forget the water. I drink lots of that that all day.
Well, this was probably more than you wanted to know but I hope some of it helped.

Sitting in an office all day new
      #151606 - 02/18/05 10:07 AM
nikjones_uk

Reged: 01/04/05

..is the worst ever! I know exactly how you feel! I really want to work part time, as I get quite stressed at work - but can't afford to. Where I am at the moment, they are kind of sympathetic to it, but no one truly understands what us IBS people go through!

Good idea new
      #151625 - 02/18/05 10:46 AM
lalala

Thanks for your tips! I forgot to mention I'm IBS-D, but what you suggested would work for me. I do the applesauce or raw carrots thing too. But I'm going to try to eat smaller meals during my breaks so I don't overdo it at lunch. Thanks again!

--Maria

Raw carrots... new
      #151627 - 02/18/05 10:51 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...aren't a great snack for IBD-Ders. They need to be cooked to minimise the IF.

#151629 - 02/18/05 10:58 AM
lalala

I've read the Snacks, Quick Foods, and Good Grub list before -- I'm munching on some Crispix right now -- but I was looking for something more...substantial, I guess. But the tuna sandwich with avocado you suggested sounds delicious! Thanks for your help!

Re: Raw carrots... new
      #151630 - 02/18/05 11:01 AM
lalala

Well, that would explain the discomfort I experience after eating a handful of baby carrots.

#151631 - 02/18/05 11:01 AM
suzyq

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: Northern Ont. Canada

Hi Maria; when I get called in as a Substitute teacher I use 1/2 immodium for a precaution. For safe foods I will eat peanut butter and jam sandwiches ,bananas, apple sauce and homemade banana bread; and also drink cammomile tea and lots of water. This will get me through any day actually. Pb and J is my most safe food. hope this helps. take care Sue

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3209 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4274

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review