Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Re: Are the lip products... new
      #151749 - 02/18/05 02:38 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Quote:

the only cosmetics to be concerned about? Or do you have to look into foundations, blusher, eyeshadow, mascara, etc.

Sorry if I'm overwhelming you today. Don't feel obligated to post back. Really, I know I can keep asking question after question. Oh Beth, I don't have all the answers, in fact no one does when it comes to IBS and/or CD...there is still so much research that needs to be done, in both areas. I would venture to say that because IBS affects more people there is probably more known about it than CD and gluten intolerance. For me personally, I don't get concerned about the cosmetics. I only make sure I use a GF toothpaste, that being Crest or Tom's. I don't worry about soaps and shampoo either. BUT, there are so many that are super sensitive that they DO have to worry about these things or they don't feel good at all, and for them I mean getting the same symptoms as an IBS attack. So you really have to decide for yourself just how GF you are going to be, and if you want to go as GF as is humanly possible then yes, you do need to be concerned about all this. Kandee

--------------------

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Kandee new
      #151751 - 02/18/05 02:42 PM
Kandee

Quote:

Does the weight gain ever stop? I have gained about 25 pounds and not eating excessively, like 1200 to 1400 cals a day, and still keep packing on the weight. Do GF eaters ever level off?

Yes, you will level off. I think where GF folks get in trouble is that they have been so used to eating anything they wanted, at anytime, yet they lost weight, that they psychologically never think that, at some point in time, they may have to watch the over all caloric intake. Kandee

--------------------

Hi Cher022.. new
      #151769 - 02/18/05 03:23 PM
Kandee

This does not surpise me in the least. I've heard of a lot of doctors saying "try eating GF" when there was nothing else to try to make the person feel better. Suprizingly some do feel better but don't know exactly why.
Kandee

--------------------

Re: Adapting these recipes for GF new
      #151784 - 02/18/05 04:10 PM
Kandee

Quote:

Okay Kandee, any suggestions on how to make these GF friendly! apple streusel muffins and this one Heather's grandma's chocolate applesauce bread and any pumpkin muffin recipe you might have (not too spicey).The one on the board has cloves in them which I'm iffy on plus not sure about nutmeg either. And also the AD brownies!

I'm going to try these this weekend. (May have to FedEx them to Abby since I don't want to eat all that)..LOL. If you want to experiment I can tell you right now what kinds of changes to make. First, obviously replace the wheat flour with a GF blend, either your own like the ones in Betty Hagman's or Carol Fenster's books, or use an all purpose baking mix flour ( like Bob's Red Mill) or a GF pancake mix....If you have a postage scale measure your GF flour out to be 4 ounces exactly, per cup. I find this to be the way to keep it the most accurate. For every 1/2 to 1and1/4 cup of GF flour I add 1 teaspoon Xantan gum...over that add 2. (my own quirk) For a loaf bread, bake in one 9X9 square pan instead. (Using SMALL loaf pans will work most of the time too, just not the big ones..GF loaves are tricky and like to fall.)

For the AD brownies, I use this recipe instead: web page (Thank you Sharon Mello) plus the recipe below it for hot fudge brownies. I've made both a dozen times or more. The only bad experience I had was when I used ALL white rice flour and not a blend. It came out to grainy tasting. Other than that follow the above recipe directions, but watch the baking time, which may vary a bit from the original.

(Just checked out the AD's and there is no problem adapting them...just change to a GF flour blend and add Xanthan gum.)

Find a zuccini bread and pumpkin bread/muffin recipe you think you would like from the Index or H's books, or where ever and we can adapt them too. You can always leave out spices you don't like or that don't like you.

Thanks. Maybe if you gave me these examples I could figure out how to do it on my own so I wouldn't need to bug you everytime! Oh also any zucchini bread recipe you might have.

Thanks tons. You can email them to me if you want, anytime. No hurry at all!!! Please don't go out of your way. I know you are busy and I can't make them all at once. The AD brownies can wait. More interested in the muffins, and breads as I am not a sweets person!

Thank you again! Oh you're welcome..if you beat me to trying these, post your results please. Maybe we'll have to move this over to the recipe board Kandee

--------------------

#152271 - 02/20/05 10:20 PM
Angie113

Reged: 12/31/04
Loc: Alternate b/w Northern and Southern California

Hey Kandee! I've really enjoyed this post; I don't eat GF, but I do avoid wheat and it can be difficult to eat some of Heather's recipes since there is a lot of flour used. I was just wondering if you would email any recipe changes to me as well My email is adilaura@pitzer.edu, or you can check the profile (I think I just added it so I'm not sure it will show up yet). Also, when you were talking about replacing the flour you said to use 4 ounces of GF flour for every cup of wheat (did I understand that right?), what if you don't have a postage scale?? and can you use Bob's Red Mill All Purpose for any wheat recipe? Thanks so much, you're so knowledgeable about this!!

--------------------
~Angela

#152277 - 02/20/05 11:49 PM
Kandee

Quote:

Hey Kandee! I've really enjoyed this post; I don't eat GF, but I do avoid wheat and it can be difficult to eat some of Heather's recipes since there is a lot of flour used. I was just wondering if you would email any recipe changes to me as well My email is adilaura@pitzer.edu, or you can check the profile (I think I just added it so I'm not sure it will show up yet). Also, when you were talking about replacing the flour you said to use 4 ounces of GF flour for every cup of wheat (did I understand that right?), what if you don't have a postage scale?? and can you use Bob's Red Mill All Purpose for any wheat recipe? Thanks so much, you're so knowledgeable about this!! Thanks Angie....yes Bobs is a great way to start unless you can't tolerate bean flour..there is some of it in this blend. A postage scale is not a necessity..it's just more accurate since alt flours have different densities. Starting out just sub one cup blend for 1 cup wheat. Also, with GF baking have all ingredients at room temperature. BTW, you've got mail...I put you on the list for shared converted recipes...Kandee

--------------------

Hi Angie, come join us in the GF eaters club!-nt new
      #152355 - 02/21/05 08:55 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Kandee, thanks for the email!! Beth, thanks for the invite!!-nt- new
      #152523 - 02/21/05 03:09 PM
Angie113

Reged: 12/31/04
Loc: Alternate b/w Northern and Southern California

--------------------
~Angela

Kandee new
      #152626 - 02/21/05 07:17 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I didn't receive any converted recipes via email. Didn't think you had done them yet until I saw Angies post. Don't forget me too! Thanks!

Did I miss them, or are you just compiling your list of people to send them too so far!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1400 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8077

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review