All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Gluten free eaters
      #150959 - 02/16/05 05:52 PM
abby82

Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: Nevada

I was wondering how many of you are also eating a gluten free diet along with the IBS diet? I am thinking about trying this myself after getting barely any help from doctors. I know that I have seen a few of you that are so I was wondering if I could get your email addresses and we could help eachother out! Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Abby new
      #151030 - 02/17/05 12:31 AM
Taylahmai

Reged: 11/03/04
Loc: Western Australia

Yep I'm gluten free. Its actually not so hard once you find all the substitutes, there's very little we have to miss out on. Unfortunately I'm in Australia, so probably can't help you with brand names. But send me an email anytime as I'm happy to help

--------------------
~ Live life, don't let life live you ~

Re: Gluten free eaters new
      #151135 - 02/17/05 07:50 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Quote:

I was wondering how many of you are also eating a gluten free diet along with the IBS diet? I do. It takes a little planning but is VERY do-able. I am thinking about trying this myself after getting barely any help from doctors. Abby honey, did you see my last response to your post. Please, if you can, get yourself tested for Celiac Disease. You have the classic symptoms of gluten intolerance. But the true test is how you feel going gluten free. I know that I have seen a few of you that are so I was wondering if I could get your email addresses and we could help eachother out! Thanks! You can email me any time. My address is in my profile. In the meantime, go to Celiac.com and sign up for their message boards and start reading. The people there are as nice and helpful as here.

You are so smart going GF, but don't wait! There are so many other good tasting options to wheat, barley, rye. Where it gets tricky is the food additives and cosmetics and cross-contamination, but all that will come with time. Kandee

--------------------

#151167 - 02/17/05 08:34 AM
abby82

Hi Kandee - yes I did read your last post to me - I have had the test for celiac and it came back negative but one of my IGA (or whatever it is) levels was high. I have a copy of the results somewhere - Ill have to get it out and look and then Ill let you know. I definitely want to go gluten free but I cant decide if I want to go to the doctor again first or not. My main problem is going to be the bread - I LOVE toast for breakfast so I was wondering what the best GF bread was - any advice? Thanks again!

Re: Thanks Taylahmai! -nt- new
      #151222 - 02/17/05 09:58 AM
abby82

#151235 - 02/17/05 10:19 AM
Kandee

Quote:

Hi Kandee - yes I did read your last post to me - I have had the test for Celiac and it came back negative but one of my IGA (or whatever it is) levels was high. If any of the three come back positive then you are gluten intolerant, plain and simple. One of the three indicates Celiac Disease, but if the IgA and IgG gliadin are elevated you need to be on a gluten free diet, because by NOT doing so you run the risk of actually ruining the small intestines and run the risk of cancer not to mention getting other associated autoimmune diseases. I have a copy of the results somewhere - Ill have to get it out and look and then Ill let you know. Oh, please do. I definitely want to go gluten free GOOD for you! but I cant decide if I want to go to the doctor again first or not. First and foremost, don't wait to go gluten free, whether you see a doc or not. Every day that you wait is a day more of not feeling good. Some people going GF notice a difference in days, some weeks, others months and in rare cases a year or so. My main problem is going to be the bread - I LOVE toast for breakfast so I was wondering what the best GF bread was - any advice? Oh my, lots of advise here. The commercial ones aren't that spectacular and I've found the homemade ones to be best. I think Beth said she likes Kinnickinnick the best and I believe you have a Whole Foods in LV so you may check there. We don't have that where I am but I'm tempted to make the 1 1/2 hr. drive to get some! They all take a little getting used to but once you do, a wheat bread will taste strange to you. Just make sure whatever bread you buy is dairy free, and barley free. It should say "gluten free" or don't buy it. When starting out, goop the toast up with lots of whatever you usually put on toast..jam/honey/cinnamon sugar..that way you start getting used to a different taste easier. Oh yeah, and throw out the old toaster. Get a new one to use ONLY with GF breads. (there is a cross-contamination issue going on here) I must say, being wheat free for over 25 years the options now are fabulous. When I first started all I had was rice cakes as a bread sub...and those got old real fast. Today there are incredible pastas, alt. grains and non-grain subs. I'm in heaven!! But, I'm still learning and always will be. Thanks again! Oh, you're so welcome sweetie, anytime. Kandee

--------------------

Re: Kandee - my test results new
      #151279 - 02/17/05 11:23 AM
abby82

Hi Kandee - I finally found my blood test results so I thought I'd let you know what they were so you can tell me what you think. You said that there are three tests and that one of them was specifically for Celiac - would that be the Tissue Transglutaminase IG?? Thats the one I tested Negative on. On the other hand my Gliadin IGA was a 22 which was a weak positive and the crazy high one was my Gliadin IGG which was 102 (anyhing greather than 30 being positive) Do you know what this means? Am I gluten intolerant? Ive been doing a lot of reading about it today and I read that there is definitely a good chance that your gluten intolerant if you have an high IGG OR IGA level so Im guessing I should definitely go GF as soon as possible! My only concern is is that Im DESPERATELY trying to gain weight and I think the only thing that keeps me at the weight I am at right now is all the angel food cake I eat. I eat it all day long - like a half a cake a day! What do I do! And thanks again for all your help!

Re: Kandee - my test results new
      #151374 - 02/17/05 03:05 PM
Kandee

Quote:

Hi Kandee - Hi again Abby.. I finally found my blood test results so I thought I'd let you know what they were so you can tell me what you think. OK You said that there are three tests and that one of them was specifically for Celiac - would that be the Tissue Transglutaminase IG?? Yep, that's the one. Thats the one I tested Negative on. That's good. If this were above normal they would likely want you to do an endoscope biopsy looking for flattened villa. And in the case of all 3 being elevated, some docs are calling that good enough to diagnose CD. It just depends on the GI. But in your case it means you haven't ruined your intestines...Yet. On the other hand my Gliadin IGA was a 22 which was a weak positive and the crazy high one was my Gliadin IGG which was 102 (anyhing greather than 30 being positive) Do you know what this means? Yes, simply put..the IgG kinda tells them you've been consuming gluten for a long time, and in dangerous amounts, and the IgA is and indication of more recent ingestion of gluten. It's nuts I know, but they also use this test as a yearly measure of how well a CD person has been adhering to a GF diet. That diagnoses of "weak positive" drives me nuts. It's like being just a little bit pregnant. Once you are out of the acceptable range, because the tests are so sensitive and accurate it means you've tested "positive" period, and should go GF. Am I gluten intolerant? You betcha...I'm appalled your doc didn't insist you go GF immediately...probably because they don't know, or study much about it. Ive been doing a lot of reading about it today that's great!!! and I read that there is definitely a good chance that your gluten intolerant if you have an high IGG OR IGA level so Im guessing I should definitely go GF as soon as possible! My only concern is is that Im DESPERATELY trying to gain weight and I think the only thing that keeps me at the weight I am at right now is all the angel food cake I eat. I eat it all day long - like a half a cake a day! What do I do! Oh, this is where so many that are gluten intolerant are sooo mistaken. Sorry, but it IS the gluten that is making you loose weight, and more "D" and feeling bad. For you, that angel food cake is like a diet pill and laxative. You WILL start gaining weight once you go GF, I promise you. Everyone does, even we overweight gluten intolerant folks. You are starting to absorb nutrients when you go GF, but not eating GF you are malabsorbing, big time, which is what puts your health in jeopardy....Instead of the angel food cake, get yourself some GF cookies and munch on them, or even GF meringue cookies. Trader Joe's has the meringue cookies, even in cocoa flavor, and they are awesome. Not much in the way of nutrients in both the angel food cake or meringue cookies but at least it satisfies a sweet tooth. Always remember, it is NOT about deprivation, only substitution. Your body, your health and how you feel will thank you for it. And thanks again for all your help! And thank you for posting your results. I hope this helped a little. Kandee

--------------------

Hi Abby- -GF eater here new
      #151422 - 02/17/05 05:19 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I'm another one who follows a GF diet. I've been on one for 16 months now. I too had the bloodwork done, twice, and both times it came back strong postives on the IGG and the IGA but negative on the TTg, the one most sensitive for celiac disease. I also had a test for the celiac gene which also came back negative as did the endoscopy. So, I don't think I have celiac.

My first GI doc insisted that I should continue to eat gluten because he said that people can have positive results and that this happens. He believed that my problem was IBS. My second GI doc who received the same blood results told me the complete opposite advice. He told me that I may be Latent Celiac and that I should not be eating gluten! UGH!!! So I was/am very confused as to what I have to do. It would be so great not to have to be on the GF diet. I would love to eat all Heather's breads and I don't know how to adapt them to a GF recipe, although Kandee assures me it's possible.

Anyhow, I bounced all this off of Kandee as well and she believes that I should avoid gluten because two of my tests did come back postive, just as she advised you.

I agree with what Kandee said about gaining weight being on the GF diet. I was very malnourished before going GF. Since going GF, and NOT eating desserts or cookies that are GF safe even, I have gained over 20 pounds on the GF diet. Now while I needed to gain at first, I am worried that it will not stop!!! GF foods tend to be higher in fat because the rice flour needs more fat to bake and taste properly. At least that's what Bette Hageman says (the GF cookbook guru)!

I do like the kinniKinnick bread the best. Kandee is right. I recommend the white type of that brand only though as the brown rice sandwich bread contains whole flax seeds and seeds may cause a problem for you. Whole foods and Wild Oats do not carry this brand (they carry Food for Life GF bread as does Trader Joes and it is much cheaper, but it contains fruit juice concentrate which makes me leery, but Kandee thinks it's still safe). Oh, the white rice brand of Food For Life doesn't contain the juice concentrates. If you want KinniKinnick, which is the best hands down! (the only GF bread that tastes okay when not toasted, Toasting GF bread always makes it better tasting in many people's opinion) you can get it at most special small HFS. I've been to 4 HFS and all of them carry this brand because there is such a high demand for it because it tastes the best. Believe me, I've tried many that tasted like cardboard!

Oh, before I went GF I too was chronic D, going 6 to 7 times a day, popping immodiums, etc. Since going GF, I am battling constipation. Traded one for the other!

If you do decide to eat GF, Wild Oats, Whole Foods, and Trader Joes all have take home guides that lists their GF foods by category. It's easier than reading lists of ingredients, especially in the beginning when you aren't sure if a particular ingredient is gluten. It is goes by many names. For instance, if a product says Natural Flavoring, it could contain gluten You can also do a google search for Brand name GF products that you can buy in a regular grocery store. I know Hellmans mayo is GF, for example.

If your doctor does want to do an endoscopy on you, DO NOT start eating GF until after the endoscopy as this will contaminate the results and may give a false negative. Since you had a negative TTG it sounds like you don't have celiac, but just a gluten intolerance. The endoscopy only confirms Celiac, not gluten intolerance.

Okay, I probably gave you info that you weren't even asking for but please feel free to email me if you want or post again. My email address is in my profile.

I was very confused and frustrated that my test results came back "inconclusive", not all positive and not all negative. It will always keep me wondering if I need to eat GF or if I'm doing all this GF restricting for nothing. Do you feel the same way?

Are you going to eat GF? Do you think you need to because of how your tests came back? I'm anxious to hear your thoughts on this, as your test results were similar to mine, except that mine were both High positive.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Thanks Beth.. new
      #151463 - 02/17/05 08:29 PM
Kandee

Quote:

for jumping in on this one and adding lots of good tips and recommendations. As you can see Abby, we who eat GF AND have IBS have a lot to say about the subject. I'm another one who follows a GF diet. I've been on one for 16 months now. I too had the bloodwork done, twice, and both times it came back strong postives on the IGG and the IGA but negative on the TTg, the one most sensitive for celiac disease. I also had a test for the celiac gene which also came back negative as did the endoscopy. So, I don't think I have celiac.

My first GI doc insisted that I should continue to eat gluten because he said that people can have positive results and that this happens. He believed that my problem was IBS. My second GI doc who received the same blood results told me the complete opposite advice. He told me that I may be Latent Celiac and that I should not be eating gluten! UGH!!! I LOVE this second GI. Obviously he has worked with a lot of Celiacs and knows how dangerous being gluten intolerant can be. So I was/am very confused as to what I have to do. It would be so great not to have to be on the GF diet. I would love to eat all Heather's breads and I don't know how to adapt them to a GF recipe, although Kandee assures me it's possible. You name the recipe, and I'll adapt it for you, OK?

Anyhow, I bounced all this off of Kandee as well and she believes that I should avoid gluten because two of my tests did come back postive, just as she advised you.

I agree with what Kandee said about gaining weight being on the GF diet. I was very malnourished before going GF. Since going GF, and NOT eating desserts or cookies that are GF safe even, I have gained over 20 pounds on the GF diet. Now while I needed to gain at first, I am worried that it will not stop!!! GF foods tend to be higher in fat because the rice flour needs more fat to bake and taste properly. At least that's what Bette Hageman says (the GF cookbook guru)! If that's what she says, I disagree with her on this one. As long as there is SOME fat, to coat the flour granules, you're OK. In most of the recipes you can successfully reduce the amount of fat if it's to high for IBS...and in some cases, adding more Xanthan gum or Acacia will make it as tender as if you added more fat!

I do like the kinniKinnick bread the best. I've got to get some of this stuff, even if I have to mail order it in!!! The GF folks vote for Manna from Anna for the best bread mix. I'm going to try that one too. You do NOT need a bread machine for good GF bread, but a heavy duty stand mixer is advisable. You don't even use dough hooks, or knead the stuff. I learned this the hard way...my first bread machine bread rivaled any brick in the building industry you can name! Kandee is right. I recommend the white type of that brand only though as the brown rice sandwich bread contains whole flax seeds and seeds may cause a problem for you. Thanks...I'll have to remember this too, since I have diverticulosis and should not be eating small seeds unless they are pulverized. Whole foods and Wild Oats do not carry this brand (they carry Food for Life GF bread as does Trader Joes and it is much cheaper, but it contains fruit juice concentrate which makes me leery, but Kandee thinks it's still safe). If you want KinniKinnick, which is the best hands down! (the only GF bread that tastes okay when not toasted, Toasting GF bread always makes it better tasting in many people's opinion) you can get it at most special small HFS. If you don't want it toasted, say for sandwiches, put it in a zip plastic bag and nuk it for a few seconds. It will soften right up. I've been to 4 HFS and all of them carry this brand because there is such a high demand for it because it tastes the best. Believe me, I've tried many that tasted like cardboard! ROTFL...me too!!!

Best to just go to all these HFS and check to see what they've got. For example, I've found out that a Trader Joe's on the east coast carries different items than those on the west coast. Same with Whole foods. Now if we lived in Atlanta, fabulous GF bread would be available from WF. One of the bakers is Celiac and has developed fantastic GF breads and goodies.

Oh, before I went GF I too was chronic D, going 6 to 7 times a day, popping immodiums, etc. Since going GF, I am battling constipation. Traded one for the other!

That may change for the better, but like I've learned with IBS it's hard to predict how you're going to be one day to the next. I'm a "C" and that's NOT totally uncommon for gluten intolerance or even CD, but mine I believe is from being hypothyroid, which BTW, is a common autoimmune disease connected with Celiac, as is Lupus, Diabetes, Arthritis and a whole host of other autoimmune diseases. It's enough to scare anyone who is gluten intolerant to COMPLY with the diet so you don't end up with any of these other ailments.

If you do decide to eat GF, Wild Oats, Whole Foods, and Trader Joes all have take home guides that lists their GF foods by category. It's easier than reading lists of ingredients, especially in the beginning when you aren't sure if a particular ingredient is gluten. It is goes by many names. For instance, if a product says Natural Flavoring, it could contain gluten So true! You can also do a google search for Brand name GF products that you can buy in a regular grocery store. I know Hellmans mayo is GF, for example.

If your doctor does want to do an endoscopy on you, DO NOT start eating GF until after the endoscopy as this will contaminate the results and may give a false negative. Since you had a negative TTG it sounds like you don't have celiac, but just a gluten intolerance. The endoscopy only confirms Celiac, not gluten intolerance.

All great points here Beth, thanks for adding.

Okay, I probably gave you info that you weren't even asking for but please feel free to email me if you want or post again. My email address is in my profile.

I was very confused and frustrated that my test results came back "inconclusive", not all positive and not all negative. It will always keep me wondering if I need to eat GF or if I'm doing all this GF restricting for nothing. You won't ever convince me you're not doing this for a GOOD reason!!! Do you feel the same way?

Are you going to eat GF? Do you think you need to because of how your tests came back? I'm anxious to hear your thoughts on this, as your test results were similar to mine, except that mine were both High positive.

If this old lady could wave a magic wand and let you see what the future would hold for you if you continue eating gluten or not, I would. But I can't, so you will just have to read, and read, and read about the subject and decide for yourself. The more you read, the more I think you will come to see that you are worth it. We eat to live, not the other way around, and isn't living well, even if it means making substitutions, the name of the game?

Kandee

--------------------

Hi ladies...quick question... new
      #151488 - 02/17/05 10:09 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Do you eat brown rice crackers? Do they fill you up? What's the best brand in your opinion? Thanks so much *hugs*

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

I practically eat gluten free.... new
      #151491 - 02/17/05 10:16 PM
Snow for Sarala

Even though I came back negative for celiac all around. I feel better without it. I eat rye crackers and barley and that's it! I don't worry about cross-contamination hough...

I had an allergist say gluten could still be my prob even though the tets came back negative...I don't htink I have CD but for some reason I feel better without the "G" stuff! LOL

Anyone have any suggestions as to why this might be?

In any case...I LIVE in Tinkyada pasta practically! And Imagine Soups. All GF! And yummy in my tummy!

Hope you get everything squared away Abby! *hugs* Sending prayers and clarity your way! Love,Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Hi Ruchie! new
      #151555 - 02/18/05 07:33 AM
Augie

I do eat brown rice crackers that are GF. I will post the name of the brand I buy when I get home from work!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: I practically eat gluten free.... new
      #151557 - 02/18/05 07:49 AM
Augie

Do you eat oatmeal as well? Kandee told me that McCannes Oatmeal is the purest form and that some "experts" now believe that oatmeal in a pure form might be okay for GF eaters.

I may try it a couple times a week. Not everyday though.

I've heard that eating GF can help people with Fibro too. I know JenX eats GF for her fibro. I don't know what the connection is though.

One of my doc's also told me that some folks with IBS just feel better without gluten as wheat can be hard to digest and I think I read that even wheat can contain fructose sugar? Not sure about that one, but for some reason I know I read something like that!

--------------------
~ Beth

Oatmeal makes me sick...plus I don't like it without sugar n-t new
      #151571 - 02/18/05 08:48 AM
Snow for Sarala

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Beth new
      #151618 - 02/18/05 10:26 AM
abby82

Hey Beth! Thanks so much for you post! You and Kandee have helped me out so much! I am definitely going to go Gluten Free - unfortuanatley I recently moved out of Vegas (3 hours away) so I cant start until I get back down there which will be tomorrow or Sunday. There are NO health food stores where I live now so I have to drive back down to buy all the GF essentials. Any tips for my first GF shopping list? Im sorda lost now that Im going GF as well as staying on the IBS diet. I just now am beginning to understand all the rules for the IBS diet and Ive been on the boards for over a year now!
It does bother me that my tests were not a DEFINITE answer but I have been reading about it a lot and after reading Kandee's posts and I have hope that going GF will make a difference! Im to the point where I will try anything right now and the fact that all I might have to do is give up gluten doesnt upset me at all if it means I will feel better. My only concern is not being able to gain weight - I know that you guys have both told me I will but its so IMPOSSIBLE for me to gain weight that Ive sorda lost hope! Before I got all these new sicknesses I weighed about 115 and everyone I saw always told me how great I looked and now I fight to stay at or around 100 and always get the "oh my god do you even eat" comments. Anyways Thanks SOOOO much for all your help and Im sure Ill be bugging both you and Kandee with a TON of questions here in the next couple of weeks!

Abby new
      #151621 - 02/18/05 10:35 AM
Snow for Sarala

I just want to let you know that when you find GF things you like...you can often order on-line or have the store ship things to you. For about 2 years I thought I might have CD and ate the diet on and off. (I had to go back eating gluten to have the endoscopy!) Anyhow, I know you have these ladies to help you...but if there's anything I can do let me know. I know you're gonna feel like new...and remember we're always here to support you *hugs* Feel good!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Abby new
      #151644 - 02/18/05 11:21 AM
Kandee

Quote:

Hey Beth! Thanks so much for you post! You and Kandee have helped me out so much! I am definitely going to go Gluten Free - unfortuanatley I recently moved out of Vegas (3 hours away) so I cant start until I get back down there which will be tomorrow or Sunday. There are NO health food stores where I live now so I have to drive back down to buy all the GF essentials. Any tips for my first GF shopping list?
Abby? Are you still in Nevada? If you moved to the CA side, you're close to me.

Since you know how to eat for IBS so well, here is a valuable file (pdf) to print out and take with you to a regular grocery store for a list of GF products: web page

Like Beth said, pick up a list of GF foods from the HFS if it's TJ's or WF's or a major one that has the list in the store. That's a great start!

Im sorda lost now that Im going GF as well as staying on the IBS diet. I just now am beginning to understand all the rules for the IBS diet and Ive been on the boards for over a year now!
It does bother me that my tests were not a DEFINITE answer but I have been reading about it a lot and after reading Kandee's posts and I have hope that going GF will make a difference! Im to the point where I will try anything right now and the fact that all I might have to do is give up gluten doesnt upset me at all if it means I will feel better. That's a wonderful attidude Abby!! My only concern is not being able to gain weight - I know that you guys have both told me I will but its so IMPOSSIBLE for me to gain weight that Ive sorda lost hope! Oh, please don't loose hope. It's true, you will gain, especially once your body starts absorbing nutrients again. Before I got all these new sicknesses I weighed about 115 and everyone I saw always told me how great I looked and now I fight to stay at or around 100 and always get the "oh my god do you even eat" comments. Just ignore those, please. Anyways Thanks SOOOO much for all your help and Im sure Ill be bugging both you and Kandee with a TON of questions here in the next couple of weeks! Good!!!
Kandee

--------------------

Re: Kandee new
      #151654 - 02/18/05 11:44 AM
abby82

Hi Kandee! I actually moved 3 hours north of Vegas to my hometown. Its a tiny little town with nothing in it! Im planning on driving to Vegas tomorrow since Ive been reading so much about gluten intolerance - it looks like every day counts. This worries me a little since I had the blood tests taken so many months ago and have continuted to eat gluten! I cant believe my doctor didnt tell me to go GF because after reading about it, it should have been obvious that it might help with my test results. Anyways Ive been reading posts and info on Celiac.com all day long so with that and the help from you guys here on the boards Im sure Ill figure it all out soon! I did notice that you said you could probably adapt Heather's recipes to be GF so I was wondering about her banana bread, chocalate applesauce cake and the peppermint fudge cake - any ideas! Thanks again for all your help!

Re: Ruchie new
      #151658 - 02/18/05 11:47 AM
abby82

Thanks Ruchie - I have noticed that I can order a lot of stuff online so Im gonna try it out really soon! Thanks for giving me hope that I will feel better! I really hope I do! Thanks again!

Thank you Kandee new
      #151662 - 02/18/05 11:53 AM
Augie

I learned a lot of that from you, my dear! Wow, I can't believe I've been eating GF for 16 months!

This second GI is not so hot, even though he does know that a firm CD diagnosis is not the only reason not to eat gluten. Believe me, he is not helpful and does not address all my other symptoms that I am having: edema in my legs and ankles (to the point where when I take off my socks there is like an inch difference where the indentation is) or my hair loss, or urine leakage). I suspect a thyroid or diabetic problem (these both run in my family) but the TSH came back in the normal range, so that was good enough for him. Although I've read that this does not always detect the problem. So, he is doing nothing about the bloating, edema, hair loss, etc. He doesn't take them seriously.

I will get a couple recipes I would like to try and you can give me the adaptation if that's okay? I know I've seen some on the boards that I'm dying to try. I'll post the link to them in another post. I would be so grateful if you could educate me on how to make them with GF flour and safe ingredients and still get an edible product! I know they need more leavening, but not sure how much more for the muffins or bread recipes. Heck, don't even know what leavening is! And I don't know how much xantham gum to add to these non GF recipes. That can be for another post though when I post the recipes I would like to try. Thank you again!

Also, need some tips on how to reduce the fat in GF recipes. The muffin mixes I bought contain 10 grams fat per muffin. I returned them! The GF recipes I see in cookbooks add lots of butter and oil.

I love my Kinnikinnick! Never heard of Manna from Anna Do you buy this in a HFS or mail order it? Where do you get your current mix from or do you make it from homemade?

Okay, I'm either moving to the west coast or Atlanta! How'd you hear about the Atlanta guy? Have you been there?

Maybe one day I'll be convinced that GF is necessary for me, but you know me well enough by now that if I read or hear anything that contradicts the GF eating for non diagnosed celiacs, I will always have my doubts. I hope to come to terms and piece with this someday, hopefully sooner than later. I think I continue to doubt it because even though I eat strict GF and IBS, I continue to have gas, bloating, constipation, cramps, and pain! If the GF eating would have helped these a little, if it was giving me some relief at all, I would have more faith in the GF diet necessity.

I even went to a specialist in celiac disease at University of Chicago where they have a reputable celiac clinic and the Doctor insisted that I could eat gluten after viewing my endoscopy xrays and both sets of bloodwork. This is why I think I still question it. Because she is supposedly an "expert". People come from far away to go to this clinic. But I didn't like her, and she was new to the clinic, so maybe she just has her own views on the "Golden Biopsy Standard" for eating GF. There are a lot of doctors who still believe that either all three tests need to be postitive or a positive endoscopy in order for the need to eat GF. I don't think any of them will ever agree. So, unfortunately, it's up to us to make an educated decision.

BTW, what did you mean when you said that turning C may be for the better? I think it sucks! But I think mine is due to my non functioning gallbladder which means it isn't releasing the bile to get the digestion going. Plus, I have delayed gastric emptying which also slow things down. Not much to do to treat those. At least my doc isn't doing anything or treating it. I wish I knew how to pull up your post and answer in another color right after the comment! I've tried but couldn't do it. It would be a heck of a lot easier than to keep scrolling down to reread what you wrote.

Thanks again for all your feedback Kandee. I think you are a very smart lady. Is that why they call you Doc? Or do you actually have a PhD?

I'll get back to you on the recipes I'm interested in adapting, Okay? Thanks again, dear!

Love!

--------------------
~ Beth

Kandee new
      #151664 - 02/18/05 11:55 AM
Augie

Does the weight gain ever stop? I have gained about 25 pounds and not eating excessively, like 1200 to 1400 cals a day, and still keep packing on the weight. Do GF eaters ever level off?

--------------------
~ Beth

Great link, Kandee new
      #151668 - 02/18/05 12:04 PM
Augie

I just printed it out myself!

--------------------
~ Beth

#151671 - 02/18/05 12:11 PM
Cher022

Reged: 02/12/05

Hi!
I've been gluten free for 12 years, I to had a negative biopsy and blood work, but was diagnosed by a chiropractor who does applied kinesiology. I don't tell many people about that because most people do not believe in that kind of doctor. Gluten is in so much stuff you really have to read labels and some companies are getting very good at putting allergy information on their boxes. For example Rice Krispies are not gluten free because of the barley malt. The best thing to do if you are not sure about a product is call the company. Most of them are happy to give you that information. If anyone would like to e-mail me about any product I would be happy to reply. But remember reading labels is very very important.
Cheryl

#151672 - 02/18/05 12:12 PM
Cher022

Reged: 02/12/05

Hi!
I also forgot to write that gluten includes wheat, rye, oats and barley.

#151674 - 02/18/05 12:14 PM
Augie

You have to be careful with cosmetics too? How do you know if a cosmetic has Gluten in it? Geez, I thought it was just food that us non celiacs needed to watch. I didn't realize we also couldn't tolerate the gluten in cosmetics or soaps. And I never changed my toaster either!

--------------------
~ Beth

Adapting these recipes for GF new
      #151694 - 02/18/05 12:45 PM
Augie

Okay Kandee, any suggestions on how to make these GF friendly! apple streusel muffins and this one Heather's grandma's chocolate applesauce bread and any pumpkin muffin recipe you might have (not too spicey).The one on the board has cloves in them which I'm iffy on plus not sure about nutmeg either. And also the AD brownies!

Thanks. Maybe if you gave me these examples I could figure out how to do it on my own so I wouldn't need to bug you everytime! Oh also any zucchini bread recipe you might have.

Thanks tons. You can email them to me if you want, anytime. No hurry at all!!! Please don't go out of your way. I know you are busy and I can't make them all at once. The AD brownies can wait. More interested in the muffins, and breads as I am not a sweets person!

Thank you again!

--------------------
~ Beth

Baking GF 101....LOL new
      #151695 - 02/18/05 12:46 PM
Kandee

Quote:

Hi Kandee! I actually moved 3 hours north of Vegas to my hometown. Its a tiny little town with nothing in it! Im planning on driving to Vegas tomorrow since Ive been reading so much about gluten intolerance - it looks like every day counts. This worries me a little since I had the blood tests taken so many months ago and have continuted to eat gluten! I cant believe my doctor didnt tell me to go GF because after reading about it, it should have been obvious that it might help with my test results. Now you're seeing the big picture!!! To bad these docs are in the dark. Unless it affects them, or their own family, they just don't understand it well enough to make sound recommendations. With what you are learning you'll be able to teach him!! My primary's first words to me when I see him, is "well, what are you going to teach me this time"...LOL. Anyways Ive been reading posts and info on Celiac.com all day long so with that and the help from you guys here on the boards Im sure Ill figure it all out soon! You'll be an old pro in no time I'm sure of it. I did notice that you said you could probably adapt Heather's recipes to be GF so I was wondering about her banana bread, chocalate applesauce cake and the peppermint fudge cake Can do... - any ideas! Thanks again for all your help!

Well darn..here I was hoping you'd be close to me. We have a Celiac support group just starting up that is wonderful. Bad part is we only are meeting once every 6 months, but I hope that changes. We have so many that are devistated and don't know where to start. It's especiall hard for the the older ones that don't take to change easily. The worst part is the longer they took to get a diagnosis the longer it will take to heal the intestines and start feeling better.

YOU COOK? I'm so impressed!!! This should be easy for you, really. There are just a few things to remember but once you start in there will be no stopping you, and you'll be eating up a storm.

I'm not sure if anyone else reading these boards is interesting in how to adapt Heather's recipes to GF so unless there are other responses here, I'll email them to you and Beth (Ruchie?) seperately. Her banana bread, chocolate applesauce cake and the peppermint fudge cake are all do-able, (I'll email the adapted version) but why not start out with something first that is a no-brainer, and needs NO changes. There are 2 in her EFI book that don't call for any flour of any type. One is the Chocolate Pecan Fallen Souffle' Cake (pg. 250) and another is the Meltaway Raspberry (or chocolate) Angel Kisses (pg. 241). The Chocolate Fallen Pecan Cake I've made with ground pecans, ground almonds, and ground hazelnuts and it came out good everytime. I bought the nuts all ready ground at TJ's or if you have a food processor or little coffee bean grinder you can grind them yourself. Sometimes I put the raspberries on it, sometimes I don't, or sub with another fruit. I'm sure there are others in the book. I'll just have to go through it to find them.

Keep up the good work. I know you're on your way to feeling better and looking fantastic!!!

Kandee

--------------------

#151700 - 02/18/05 12:51 PM
Kandee

Read these threads. A girl named Kaiti is only 17 and one of the most knowledgeable people I've seen about this subject.

Kandee

--------------------

Are the lip products... new
      #151716 - 02/18/05 01:26 PM
Augie

the only cosmetics to be concerned about? Or do you have to look into foundations, blusher, eyeshadow, mascara, etc.

Sorry if I'm overwhelming you today. Don't feel obligated to post back. Really, I know I can keep asking question after question.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Are the lip products... new
      #151749 - 02/18/05 02:38 PM
Kandee

Quote:

the only cosmetics to be concerned about? Or do you have to look into foundations, blusher, eyeshadow, mascara, etc.

Sorry if I'm overwhelming you today. Don't feel obligated to post back. Really, I know I can keep asking question after question. Oh Beth, I don't have all the answers, in fact no one does when it comes to IBS and/or CD...there is still so much research that needs to be done, in both areas. I would venture to say that because IBS affects more people there is probably more known about it than CD and gluten intolerance. For me personally, I don't get concerned about the cosmetics. I only make sure I use a GF toothpaste, that being Crest or Tom's. I don't worry about soaps and shampoo either. BUT, there are so many that are super sensitive that they DO have to worry about these things or they don't feel good at all, and for them I mean getting the same symptoms as an IBS attack. So you really have to decide for yourself just how GF you are going to be, and if you want to go as GF as is humanly possible then yes, you do need to be concerned about all this. Kandee

--------------------

Re: Kandee new
      #151751 - 02/18/05 02:42 PM
Kandee

Quote:

Does the weight gain ever stop? I have gained about 25 pounds and not eating excessively, like 1200 to 1400 cals a day, and still keep packing on the weight. Do GF eaters ever level off?

Yes, you will level off. I think where GF folks get in trouble is that they have been so used to eating anything they wanted, at anytime, yet they lost weight, that they psychologically never think that, at some point in time, they may have to watch the over all caloric intake. Kandee

--------------------

Hi Cher022.. new
      #151769 - 02/18/05 03:23 PM
Kandee

This does not surpise me in the least. I've heard of a lot of doctors saying "try eating GF" when there was nothing else to try to make the person feel better. Suprizingly some do feel better but don't know exactly why.
Kandee

--------------------

Re: Adapting these recipes for GF new
      #151784 - 02/18/05 04:10 PM
Kandee

Quote:

Okay Kandee, any suggestions on how to make these GF friendly! apple streusel muffins and this one Heather's grandma's chocolate applesauce bread and any pumpkin muffin recipe you might have (not too spicey).The one on the board has cloves in them which I'm iffy on plus not sure about nutmeg either. And also the AD brownies!

I'm going to try these this weekend. (May have to FedEx them to Abby since I don't want to eat all that)..LOL. If you want to experiment I can tell you right now what kinds of changes to make. First, obviously replace the wheat flour with a GF blend, either your own like the ones in Betty Hagman's or Carol Fenster's books, or use an all purpose baking mix flour ( like Bob's Red Mill) or a GF pancake mix....If you have a postage scale measure your GF flour out to be 4 ounces exactly, per cup. I find this to be the way to keep it the most accurate. For every 1/2 to 1and1/4 cup of GF flour I add 1 teaspoon Xantan gum...over that add 2. (my own quirk) For a loaf bread, bake in one 9X9 square pan instead. (Using SMALL loaf pans will work most of the time too, just not the big ones..GF loaves are tricky and like to fall.)

For the AD brownies, I use this recipe instead: web page (Thank you Sharon Mello) plus the recipe below it for hot fudge brownies. I've made both a dozen times or more. The only bad experience I had was when I used ALL white rice flour and not a blend. It came out to grainy tasting. Other than that follow the above recipe directions, but watch the baking time, which may vary a bit from the original.

(Just checked out the AD's and there is no problem adapting them...just change to a GF flour blend and add Xanthan gum.)

Find a zuccini bread and pumpkin bread/muffin recipe you think you would like from the Index or H's books, or where ever and we can adapt them too. You can always leave out spices you don't like or that don't like you.

Thanks. Maybe if you gave me these examples I could figure out how to do it on my own so I wouldn't need to bug you everytime! Oh also any zucchini bread recipe you might have.

Thanks tons. You can email them to me if you want, anytime. No hurry at all!!! Please don't go out of your way. I know you are busy and I can't make them all at once. The AD brownies can wait. More interested in the muffins, and breads as I am not a sweets person!

Thank you again! Oh you're welcome..if you beat me to trying these, post your results please. Maybe we'll have to move this over to the recipe board Kandee

--------------------

#152271 - 02/20/05 10:20 PM
Angie113

Reged: 12/31/04
Loc: Alternate b/w Northern and Southern California

Hey Kandee! I've really enjoyed this post; I don't eat GF, but I do avoid wheat and it can be difficult to eat some of Heather's recipes since there is a lot of flour used. I was just wondering if you would email any recipe changes to me as well My email is adilaura@pitzer.edu, or you can check the profile (I think I just added it so I'm not sure it will show up yet). Also, when you were talking about replacing the flour you said to use 4 ounces of GF flour for every cup of wheat (did I understand that right?), what if you don't have a postage scale?? and can you use Bob's Red Mill All Purpose for any wheat recipe? Thanks so much, you're so knowledgeable about this!!

--------------------
~Angela

#152277 - 02/20/05 11:49 PM
Kandee

Quote:

Hey Kandee! I've really enjoyed this post; I don't eat GF, but I do avoid wheat and it can be difficult to eat some of Heather's recipes since there is a lot of flour used. I was just wondering if you would email any recipe changes to me as well My email is adilaura@pitzer.edu, or you can check the profile (I think I just added it so I'm not sure it will show up yet). Also, when you were talking about replacing the flour you said to use 4 ounces of GF flour for every cup of wheat (did I understand that right?), what if you don't have a postage scale?? and can you use Bob's Red Mill All Purpose for any wheat recipe? Thanks so much, you're so knowledgeable about this!! Thanks Angie....yes Bobs is a great way to start unless you can't tolerate bean flour..there is some of it in this blend. A postage scale is not a necessity..it's just more accurate since alt flours have different densities. Starting out just sub one cup blend for 1 cup wheat. Also, with GF baking have all ingredients at room temperature. BTW, you've got mail...I put you on the list for shared converted recipes...Kandee

--------------------

Hi Angie, come join us in the GF eaters club!-nt new
      #152355 - 02/21/05 08:55 AM
Augie

--------------------
~ Beth

Kandee, thanks for the email!! Beth, thanks for the invite!!-nt- new
      #152523 - 02/21/05 03:09 PM
Angie113

Reged: 12/31/04
Loc: Alternate b/w Northern and Southern California

--------------------
~Angela

Kandee new
      #152626 - 02/21/05 07:17 PM
Augie

I didn't receive any converted recipes via email. Didn't think you had done them yet until I saw Angies post. Don't forget me too! Thanks!

Did I miss them, or are you just compiling your list of people to send them too so far!

--------------------
~ Beth

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 362 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7970

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review