All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
gas advice
      #150692 - 02/16/05 07:43 AM
fatgirl1

Reged: 11/04/03

Have any of you found certain breads( Italian or sourdough- brocollai- or certain things give you more gas than other things- let's assume that you are following the way you should eat( Heather's diet advice). I still have to get a handle on this gas problem. thanks to everyone for your replies to me.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: gas advice new
      #150747 - 02/16/05 10:01 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I'm glad you posted this question because I've been having problems with this too, especially with sourdough bread, baguettes, and crackers. I never hear about anyone else having problems after eating bread; I know that I can overdo it sometimes. I wonder if it's the sugar? I know that some crackers and bread contain high fructose corn syrup, which is a trigger for me (I'm IBS-D), so I have to read labels carefully.

Re: gas advice new
      #150767 - 02/16/05 10:43 AM
fatgirl1

Hi- so glad that someone else is having some bloating or gas w/ all the bread, pasta etc that is the basis of this
diet. So now, what are we to do. Do you eat yogurt?

long reply new
      #150788 - 02/16/05 11:20 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I'm lactose-intolerant and even yogurt will trigger an attack. I've tried the soy yogurt--don't like it too much.

Lately, I just try not to eat too much bread. Ack, it's hard--especially at restuarants where they place a bread basket, which is usually sourdough bread, right in front of you! I mean, I can't help myself!

I had the "stomach flu" (something going around at work) a few months ago and that set me off on one long IBS attack. It's only been recently that I've been stable and confident enough to start expanding my diet. My dr said that sometimes people who suffer from gastroenteritis can be temporarily intolerant of lactose (if not before) and wheat. I was tested for gluten intolerance, but I'm not.

However, where I used to be able to tolerate moderate amounts of high fructose corn syrup and whey, now I can't at all. Basically, I've been experimenting with different types of bread. I've found out that the high fructose corn syrup and/or dairy in some breads does bother me. Sometimes I'll take a Phazyme or have ginger tea if I feel bloated and gassy and that helps.

I don't seem to have a problem with pasta, so I'm lucky in that way!For breakfast, I can handle one or two slices of toasted white bread (I like Oroweat's Sliced Country French bread--it's fat free, dairy-free, although it does contain a small amount of high fructose corn syrup) or a blueberry bagel (Sara Lee's, I think). I kind of wonder if I could be sensitive to yeast, but can people be intolerant to yeast?

Sorry this turned out to be so long. I guess I'm chatty today.

Re: Sourdough Bread... new
      #151001 - 02/16/05 07:58 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

I can tolerate Sourdough bread, in fact, it is the only bread we eat. Chocolate on the other hand, will give me gas, bad gas. Peanut Butter also will give me that ugly gas.

I love all of this stuff, sad.

Bread new
      #151031 - 02/17/05 01:44 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Alot of bread is made with milk protein or HFCS...you need to be careful of this if you're super sensitive. I know that if I'm having a bad phase then restaurant bread doesn't help nearly as much as my home made bread (made with soy protein powder, not milk). Read ALL labels!

Re: Info on Gas new
      #151170 - 02/17/05 08:36 AM
sperry_twiggins

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Beautiful Pacific Northwest

Hi fatgirl (I have such a problem with that name!).

A while back someone on this list posted this link. It answered a lot of questions for me - such as why Beano can't always be counted on...

http://www.aboutincontinence.org/Gas.html

sperry_twiggins

Re: Sourdough Bread... new
      #151230 - 02/17/05 10:12 AM
fatgirl1

dOES SOY PRODUCTS GIVE YOU GAS? I am starting to think that
everything gives me gas. Like what fruit is possible to eat
wHAT VEGETABLES? THANKS

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1074 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1473

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review