All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
anise w/ tea ,chamomile? new
      #155343 - 03/01/05 11:49 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

If those drugs made someone with daily D like myself constipated, I can't imagine what they would do to someone who is IBS-C!

I got the anise oil at a health food store in Spain, back when I was in college. I'm not sure if it was pure or not. I recentty saw some at the health food aisle in a Fred Meyer's, but you might check with a local health food store. It really helped with the gas/colic, those bad crampy feelings you can get after eating--just a few drops into a hot cup of ginger or peppermint tea or other digestive tea blend (at the health food store in Spain they prepared a mix of ginger, chamomile, peppermint and some other herbs).

Have you tried chamomile? I know it's sort of like a muscle relaxant, but I can't drink it because everytime I do I have to urinate multiple times or have a bm. When I was younger my parents would give me this whenever I had a stomach-ache or cramps and it would just make me go. So, maybe it would help with C?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Fruit before meal? new
      #155354 - 03/01/05 12:05 PM

Reged: 01/05/05

In the morning I have been eating a dish of low fat fruit cocktail to get my fruit in - I am afraid of eating apples and bananas can make me even more gassy - do not definitely need that. What fruits are you talking about???

Re: Desipramine, Imipramine = bad times for me (long reply) new
      #155357 - 03/01/05 12:08 PM

Are you taking the benefiber for the excessive gas and bloating? I need help with this shortly after I eat any meal.

Help!

Re: anise w/ tea ,chamomile? new
      #155365 - 03/01/05 12:13 PM

I drink all kinds of teas from the HFS - are you saying add a drop of anise oil in the tea to help calm gas pains?

I try and sip on fennel tea while I am eating to see if it helps - but so far nothing helps about 1/2 hour after I eat - doubled over gas pains!

Did the anise oil help you - and how much do you use??

Desparate!

Re: Totally lost new
      #155367 - 03/01/05 12:16 PM

Your life sounds exactly like mine - I have tried anti-depressants, soluble fiber supplements, etc. but it seems like NOTHING helps about 1/2 hour after I eat. I get doubled over gas pains. I am desparate for advice -
HELP!

#155397 - 03/01/05 12:58 PM
Meryl36

Reged: 09/03/04
Loc: Dallas, Texas

Welcome to my world! I go through EXACTLY the same thing you do. My only problem is that I continue to eat so I'm not losing weight. Like you said, I'm usually fine till lunch then all hell breaks loose. Your post doesn't say if you're D or C. I'm C & I find that the acacia helps me alot. I'm up to about 10 grams a day & the bloating has gotten much better. I still get bad gas but at least I don't look pregnant all the time. Maybe you need to switch you SFS. I was taking benefiber but the acaica is much better. I also find that drinking tons of water helps. Oh, & exercise. Especially when I'm bloated & gassy. Going for a walk usually helps that too.
I'm sorry you're having such a hard time. I hope you get to feeling better soon.
Meryl

#155405 - 03/01/05 01:11 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Adriane and everyone else who's struggling --

Have you tried the IBS Hypnosis program? IBS is a dysfunction of the autonomic nervous system and hypnosis has been proven in clinical studies to help calm the autonomic nervous system and relieve IBS symptoms. It is well worth the money and you can take the course more than once. Many people report results in the first two weeks.

I have been where all of you are. The gas and bloating are the most difficult symptoms to control but it CAN BE DONE!! Do a search and you'll find a number of posts from me with the things that have helped me.

I have been D-free for over a year now and have had maybe 5 episodes of pain, cramps and gas in that whole time, each of which was relieved within hours.

Heather's approach works. Keep tweaking til your body is comfortable.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#155480 - 03/01/05 03:10 PM

I love hearing that there is hope in not getting gas pains everytime you eat. What meds or supplements are you on? Whatever they are, they seem to be working - please advise!

Re: Desipramine, Imipramine = bad times for me (long reply) new
      #155527 - 03/01/05 05:17 PM
lalala

I've been taking the Benefiber to help me keep regular, not really for the gas or bloating. So far no gas-related problems with the Benefiber, but no improvements because of it. I have noticed that soy products that are dairy alternatives, such as soy milk or soy cheese, any of that stuff that contains carrageenan was giving me horribly painful gas. Now that I avoid carrageenan, I've had a lot more relief. Strangely, I get a lot of gas from eating pasta, bread (especially those made with HFCS), watermelon, and turkey. I don't know why, these foods seems safe.

Anise is good for gas, colic, and averting the Evil Eye, new
      #155531 - 03/01/05 05:33 PM
lalala

I started with six drops of anise into a cup of tea, whatever you've been using to alleviate gas pains. In the past when it gets really bad, I'd take a Phazyme followed by a hot cup of chamomile, peppermint,ginger fennel, whatever, tea with six drops of anise. But you can use anywhere from 2-6. Then I'd get into bed, cover up with a heavy blanket and lie down either on my belly and push a big pillow into it or on my left side and sort of massage it. This would help get the air out and alleviate the bloating. If that didn't help, I'd have another cup of tea and try to relax.

Hope this helps! If I'm not clear enough or you want more info, please ask me again!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2191 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 50065

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review