All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: Need Waffle house restaurant suggestions new
      #150870 - 02/16/05 02:44 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Thanks for trying Tina. I can't eat gluten so toast, waffles, bagels, dry cereal is out for me. Those were on the menu and would have been great choice if I only had to be on the IBS diet. But I can't have anything with wheat (white or whole), barley, rye, etc. And oatmeal is iffy and it was premade with milk, no exceptions allowed.

It was a celebration for a co-workers birthday so the money came out of the "petty cash" fund, so it was free for me, which would usually be a good thing! However, it took my excuse away of having no money!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Poor thing... new
      #150873 - 02/16/05 02:45 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Don't be jealous of them. They'll all have heart attacks or strokes in the next 10 years. I know it's a hard pill to swallow when you're sitting in a restaurant and faced with all kinds of tasty but unhealthy things, but how we're eating is how everyone in America should be eating... and how most of them will inevitably be forced to eat after they have their triple bypass. LOL

Anyway, sorry to hear about your stomach. Hope you feel better quickly!

Thanks for trying fishnets new
      #150875 - 02/16/05 02:46 PM
Augie

See my posts to Kandee about the problems! If you care too!

--------------------
~ Beth

LOL new
      #150878 - 02/16/05 02:52 PM
Augie

Yes, it will catch up to them. They're all young now, but if they keep that up...trouble ahead.

BTW, you were right about the omelette!! I should have eaten the bread ahead of time. Your experience with your dad should have stopped me from trying it. But I thought if I explained no milk, no butter, little oil they would have respected that. Silly me. And I swear those were real eggs! I know an egg from an egg white! Must have been 20-50 grams of fat sitting on those plates!

But as you've told me, you're always right! LOL

--------------------
~ Beth

ROFL!! new
      #150884 - 02/16/05 03:17 PM
atomic rose

I was kidding about always being right! But I generally know of what I speak when it comes to restaurant stuff... in addition to Dad's experience, I used to eat out A LOT in my early 20s, and that was just after a gallstone diagnosis, so I got used to scrutinizing food.

Some places are better than others about accomodating special diets. Honestly, if they ever decide to go to this place again, I'd just not go and risk looking like a weirdo, because establishments that blatantly disregard requests don't deserve my business, even if I'm not the one paying. I had the best luck ever at a diner - a truly fabulous fish dinner made with no oil and no dairy, and I had no problems. I had the worst luck ever at a fancy, expensive restaurant, where the chef thought it was highly insulting that I wouldn't eat his food and served me a dry lobster tough as rubber. You just never know.

I still would have ordered the omelette, personally. And when it came out looking like it did, I would have sent it back and demanded that they do it right. I've done that before. Can't you imagine that I'm a JOY to eat out with? Haha.

Re: Need Waffle house restaurant suggestions new
      #150904 - 02/16/05 04:15 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Sorry Beth. I know nothing about gluten intolerance.

I'm also sorry to hear that you had to eat things that upset your tummy. Been there, done that. Mostly at family gatherings though.

I don't go out with co-workers for work lunches anymore. No dairy, no meat...what's left, huh? They don't think I'm crazy just some health nut that wants to live to be 110. he he

I do have luck with Italian as I can have brushetta (no cheese) and pasta without dairy sauce.

Are there any healthy restaurants in your town that have a good variety of safe foods for you? Just curious?

Oh Beth new
      #150936 - 02/16/05 04:48 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Quote:

Thanks for your reply. It was too late for me, but would have helped! I ordered what was suppose to be a dry eggwhite omelette with spinach (no added milk or butter) but I know they screwed it up because it was looking pretty yellow for an egg white! Plus, there was so much grease left on my plate that I know they must have fried it in heavy duty oil! Oh I'm so sorry..The problem is, as I'm sure Casey can attest, it that the cooks are taught to cook one way, and one way only. You have to get into somewhat of a more upscale restaurant where the chefs (note I said chefs not cooks) actually KNOW what Celiac Disease really is. IF they know that, guiding them thru a diet that is IBS friendly is easy.

I feel sicker than a dog right now! My tummy is not happy). Well, it's no wonder. With all that grease, anyone's would. I did ask to order the oatmeal first but they said it was pre-made with milk only!!! They couldn't or wouldn't do it with just water. I should have gone with plain white rice, but they said that would take 45 minutes to make special since they usually make a big batch loaded with butter for taste of course. Doesn't that just irk you? If it were a Chinese restaurant it wouldn't have been loaded with butter, and when they said butter it probably wasn't even that, but rather some TFA laden cheap margarine! And they didn't offer any type of potatoe besides mashed with milk or fried hash browns.

Oh well. I'll have a tummy ache for a while, but hopefully it won't linger into tomorrow too. Go real easy on your diet for the next couple of days to get that all out of your system. I tend to get delayed reactions. Next time I will call ahead of time and pre order so that they can make me plain rice and a chicken breast (but they use oil for that too). No grilled, only pan fried.

Yes, you could do that, or here are some other tips, if you want to go this far or forget to call ahead:
1. Brown bag it, and tell your server that you are on a DOCTOR restricted diet and you MUST eat differently from anything they offer on their menu, BUT you would love to have some hot tea, and do they have herbal or decaf? If not, order it anyway but tell them not to put the tea bag in the hot water. Then make sure you have your own with you to replace the regular or an herbal you don't want. Be prepared to leave a big tip, and don't for a minute, look sheepish about eating your own food.

2. Eat before or after and tell your friends that you have a yoga class in a few hrs and you are not to eat prior to the class. (I dare anyone to do a downward dog after just eating! LOL) BUT, order the tea!

3. Always keep in mind that most people, including your servers, cooks, co-workers don't have a clue as to what IBS or CD is. If they want to know more it's fine to educate them but if not, it is only up to you to do the best you can do for your tummy under these circumstances, without any remorse or appologies........and if you have one, wear your Awareness Ribbon (Green for CD) with pride. I wish there was one for IBS, anyone know?

Like I said, it is a old fashioned home cooking. More fat the better. Old fashioned would be ok if it were with pure ingredients and we were going back out to plow the rest of a field!

Thanks for the tips on the GF cards. I will have to get one. Do you just print it from the website itself? I believe you can. I just printed out a bunch of them (they are credit card size) and printed them on card stock, so I have plenty if one is not returned to me. The problem with those is that if they show them to the cook, the cook may not even speak English, or disregard the importance of you eating a certain way. I can't download anything onto the company computer that would be permanent and I don't have a printer at home.

I did take an SFS before hand, but had no soluble fiber with the meal to help absorb all the grease. I always have Hain's plain Minnie Munchies, or Nut Thins with me. They seem to take the edge off if I'm hungry, plus absorb some of the fats.

My coworkers must think I'm so obsessive with food as they order anything and eat every last bite, no matter how greasy or fattening. I'm so jealous. Such is life. Oh, I know it's hard, especially since all our social encounters involve food. But just look at it as a challenge, and a after all, aren't we worth it? Kandee

--------------------

There is a ribbon for IBS, Kandee new
      #150938 - 02/16/05 04:51 PM
atomic rose

...and it's BROWN!

Just kidding... but wouldn't that be hilarious? It's actually periwinkle, I believe.

Re: There is a ribbon for IBS, Kandee new
      #150949 - 02/16/05 05:24 PM
suzyq

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: Northern Ont. Canada

BROWN lol!! that's quite funny; is there really a ribbon for IBS? (periwinkle you say?) sue

Re: ROFL!! new
      #150964 - 02/16/05 06:04 PM
Augie

I was just kidding too. Believe me, I know you don't know everything!! I was j/k because you're always saying that (kiddingly) in your emails and posts to me!!

I think we need to go out to lunch or dinner together and drive the waiters/waitresses nuts. We could order no this, hold that, on the side, but without the extra.... Then when the food came, send it back a couple times. Now I'm just being mean. But restaurants just have to learn that there are people with special needs and they need to take us, and all other people with special dietary needs, seriously. That's my speech for today. I will now get down from this high horse!

--------------------
~ Beth

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3139 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2963

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review