All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Eliminating Dairy
      #150261 - 02/15/05 08:56 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I am recently diagnosed with IBS, though I suspect I've had it awhile and it just has flared REALLY bad in the last couple of months. Kinda of a pain, since I have been taking reasonably good care of myself for the last several years. Anyway, if I'm supposed to eliminate all or most dairy, what should I eat to replace the calcium?

PS> I also follow Weight Watchers, so I am already pretty good about water and fruits and veggies..

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Eliminating Dairy new
      #150281 - 02/15/05 09:41 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

You can take calcium with vitamin D supplements. That's what I do. Eliminating dairy is hard, but it'll go a long way toward stopping attacks!

I felt so much better after stopping drinking milk. I had fewer headaches, runny noses, and of course fewer D attacks! I don't miss it now and haven't sought to replace it with milk substitutes (I guess I'm like an ex-smoker that way ).

Good luck to you!

~nelly~

#150285 - 02/15/05 09:48 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

A lot of the soymilk products are calcium fortified (I like 8th Continent soymilk) as well as cereals, but I don't think they have as much calcium as milk, so you could try a calcium supplement.

Here's a list I compiled for myself (because I'm lactose intolerant) of calcium in non-dairy foods compared to milk (from Webmd.com and gastro.org):

Food - Serving Size - Calcium (mg) per serving

Milk (whole, 2%, 1%, and skim)- 1 cup - 290–300

Sardines in oil - 3 oz - 370

Canned salmon (with bones)- 3 oz - 170–210

Broccoli - 1 cup - 160–180

Turnip greens - ½ cup cooked - 100–125

Egg - 1 - 55

Chinese cabbage (bok choy, Cooked), - 1cup - 158 mg

Molasses, - 2 tbsp - 274 mg

Tofu (processed with Calcium salts, - 3 oz - 225 mg

Spinach, raw - .5 cup - 28 (122 mg if boiled)

Papaya, raw - medium - 72 mg

Good Vegan Calcium Sources

#150307 - 02/15/05 10:31 AM
Computr821

Reged: 12/02/04
Loc: University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA/ Baltimore, MD

Also, some cereals are calcium fortified. If you can eat them, that might help too.

Avidan

--------------------
Why'd you have to go and make me so constipated?
--'Weird' Al Yankovic, "A Complicated Song"

the above and new
      #150427 - 02/15/05 01:43 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Luna bars are full of nutrition.

I don't think chinese cabbage and bok choy are the same thing- silly list.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#150602 - 02/15/05 10:36 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

There's plenty of nondairy milks such as soy milk, rice milk, almond milk, ect. Soy and rice milk are my personal favs, and Silk chocolate soy milk is awesome! There's also soy cheese and rice cheese, as well as soy yogurt, frozen soy cheese pizza's, dairy-free cream cheese, dairy free sour cream...you name it!

--------------------
IBS-C

#150638 - 02/16/05 04:33 AM
Pat in RI

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Rhode Island, USA

I'm really new at all this, so the trauma of the "can't eat or drinks" is a little overwhelming at present, but I am determined to stay on course with the IBS diet, 'cause I don't want to spend the rest of my days in the bathroom!!

I just purchased rice milk to try in recipes. I don't think I want to drink it by itself, though. I also got some soy cheddar...haven't tried it yet. What do others think about about the substitutes?

#150724 - 02/16/05 08:57 AM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

Yeah it can seem overwhelming at first, just remember lots of people don't consume dairy and are perfectly happy with that. Honestly I do still consume some dairy, but try not to. And rice milk is really good in cereal

--------------------
IBS-C

#159445 - 03/10/05 08:20 PM
Kac

Reged: 01/18/04

I've been trying to take calcium with vit. D twice a day and am having problems with abdominal pain and urgency with BMs. I've suspected calcium causing this is the past but have to do something because a bone scan shows I have osteopenia and doc. says take the calcium. Does anyone else suspect calclium is causing IBS problems to act up?
Thanks!
P.S. I used to hate soy milk and now actually like it. Just took some getting used to and experimenting with different brands. I like silk. I never was able to get used to rice milk. Always tasted starchy to me. OK for baking though.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2174 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1073

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review