All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Caffeine
      #149978 - 02/14/05 01:49 PM
lobstress

Reged: 11/29/04

Are there any "hidden" sources of caffeine? I read that certain IBS medications and caffeine do not go well together. (You are probably sick of hearing about my medication from my past few posts...sorry. I just have lots of [dumb] questions about stuff.)
Is there "secret" caffeine source in anything besides certain sodas, chocolate, and coffee? Certain sodas (like Sprite/7-Up/Sierra Mist, Orange-flavored, and root beer) claim to be caffeine free. Do they really have no caffeine in them? Do non-caffeinated coffees not have ANY caffeine, either? I've learned that sometimes companies will pass off a product as "x-free" or "non-x", but the product will really have some "x" in it. It is only a small percent, but it is still a percent nonetheless.
-Miss Paranoia
P.S. (does the singular of "paranoia" become "paranoium"?)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Caffeine new
      #150031 - 02/14/05 03:06 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I will answer your question ONLY if you stop referring to your questions as dumb! There is no dumb question here - we're all in this together. We help each other out when we can and where we can.
I don't know if caffeine conflicts with IBS meds but it definitely conflicts with IBS. You shouldn't be drinking carbonated beverages anyway, but if there's caffeine in it, they have to list it. (That's the way it is in Canada, anyway). Check the labels.
As for other things containing caffeine, I would read the labels. I think that if it's there, they have to list it as I said before.
If it says caffeine free, or non caffeinated, it should have a miniscule amount that would likely not affect anything.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

stay away from Excedrin new
      #150049 - 02/14/05 03:34 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

that "second ingredient" they mention on the commercial is caffeine!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Caffeine new
      #150053 - 02/14/05 03:41 PM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

my brother can't have any caffeine. he goes with "caffeine free" instead of "decaf." there's a difference.

he does Sprite just fine.

(he doesn't have IBS, btw, but he can't take ANY caffeine)

do stay away from Excederin and the like. you may have a problem with anything with stimulants, in fact, like DayQuil. i do when my IBS is really flare-y.

--------------------

Avoid Solpadeine too... new
      #150145 - 02/15/05 03:04 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...you guys have that, don't you? Caffeine is a drug used to combat headaches and migraines so it's in quite a few strong painkiller stuff!

Re: Avoid Solpadeine too... new
      #150168 - 02/15/05 04:35 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

No but I think it is the same as Excedrin.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

explicination new
      #150588 - 02/15/05 08:05 PM
lobstress

I referred to my question as "dumb" because I hadn't gotten any replies for the most recent questions that I'd posted. Also, I'd mentioned my medication a lot, because I had a lot of questions, but I assumed that something in the questions sounded dumb or for some reason people didn't want to answer them...
I took the medication with hopes that I would be able to eat "normally" again. I've had a few "episodes" since taking it, but before I took it I had an "episode" nearly everyday. I asked my gastroenterologist if I could eat normally while I was on the medication (without fear of an attack) and he said yes. However, I looked up on some websites about this particular medication and they said that caffeine (because it is a drug) might interfere. I'm starting to worry that some of the things I eat might trigger an attack, regardless of the medicine.
Does anyone know of any meds for IBS-d that allow the person to eat "normally" (or very close)? Does anyone know if there are any specific foods that trigger attacks for people who take IBS medications (or is it the general list of IBS triggers)?
Thank you, everyone!

Re: explicination new
      #150620 - 02/16/05 02:31 AM
Linz

I only don't answer questions if they've already been answered or if I have no answer...so maybe alot of people were stumped!

I have never heard of a drug that can control IBS-D so well that you can eat anything. I stabilised using this diet, herbal teas, SFSs and a course of medications that included taking one Immodium every morning.

Good luck!

Btw, what's your name?

Re: explicination new
      #151341 - 02/17/05 02:17 PM
lobstress

It's weird. The first few weeks on the medication, I was doing great. I ate ton of stuff like caffeine, dairy, etc without any problems. Then I had some trouble a few weeks later. Then I was fine again for a few weeks...maybe the times I have trouble correspond with my period or something...Recently, I had my fourth day of trouble since taking the medication. What worried me was that it seemed like it was within about a week or two of my last day of trouble.
I was having a lot of trouble before the medication. I was really stressed out, which created lots of problems even though I was strictly sticking to the diet (no dairy, no red meat, no caffeine, no carbonation, etc). I was also trying Michael Mahoney's hypnosis tapes, which helped me relax WHILE I was listening to them, but I had trouble keeping and staying calm other times. I guess four bad days out of two months is a lot better than having trouble pretty much everyday. Should I worry?
The thing is, the bad days come very suddenly and I don't know what causes them (like, if there is a specific thing that causes my medication to not work on certain day or if I ate something that I really shouldn't have).
I expected the medication to allow me to eat virtually anything I wanted without having to worry (because that's what my doctor said, and I believed him even though I possess a notorious cynicism towards doctors). I guess I have to watch what I eat for now on if I want to prevent those "bad days."
Enough of my rambling.
By the way, my name is Sara.

Hey Sara! new
      #151496 - 02/18/05 12:41 AM
Linz

None of my meds have let me eat what I wanted for very long. I found that controlling my symptoms with diet and just using the meds to minimise the remaining symptoms and help me stabilise was the best way to go. I also find that even if I can cheat one day, if I do it for two days, my body rebels.

Good luck! This diet isn't that bad, after all.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 760 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2508

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review