All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Immodium & Loperamide
      #149954 - 02/14/05 01:07 PM
beccyhall

Reged: 02/14/05

Hi Everyone! I am new to this website/message board and I have a few questions (I'm sorry if they have already been asked!). I have not been medically diagnosed with IBS, but it does run in my family, I have done a lot of research on it and I am almost 100% that I have it. I usually have IBS-D. I am a university student and find that I am so uncomfortable and embarassed about using the washrooms. I have tried altering my eating habits, it didn't help much. I have also tried natural ways of relieving the D, but they only help so much. Yesterday I tried Immodium. I became so constipated and bloated it was terrible (I took 4 pills - perhaps too much??) Can anyone advise me on if I should take less? When should I take them (in the morning before I eat?). I am finding that IBS is really interfering with my life. I have booked an appointment with a Dr. but I find that they aren't too knowledgeable.
Please help!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Immodium & Loperamide new
      #149956 - 02/14/05 01:25 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Whoa! 4 pills is A HELL of alot! One usually does the trick for me! IBS tummies tend to be more sensitive to remedies like Immodium as well as triggers. If it's really bad, take one, wait an hour or so and then take another if you need too...but never four at once!!!

Re. taking it as a preventative, I'd recommend trying taking one in the morning at breakfast time. That's what I did when I was stabilising and it really helped. If you get an attack and get bad D, you can then take another one later in the day if need to.

Btw, this diet is brilliant for IBS. It can take a while though...weeks or months to stabilise, not mere days! So give it a good chance. If it doesn't work then then that's a sign that it probably isn't only IBS!

Re. doctors, you need to get a referral to a gastroenterologist (GI doc). It is very important to get checked out properly. Good luck!

#150040 - 02/14/05 03:17 PM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I take Loperamide ALOT but I have never taken 4 in one day, maybe three at the most during my sister's wedding, I was the maid of honour and it was really hot and the dress was digging into my stomach, but it made me C afterwards. Anyway, getting off topic. I take it first thing in the morning as a preventative and only take another one later on in the day if I feel I might be getting D or eating something and my tummy gets rumbly lol.

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

#150073 - 02/14/05 04:20 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Try taking one pill when you get up (as a preventative if you get morning attacks), then one after a meal if you feel an attack of D coming on.

Everybody is different and I take 6 pills a day religiously, and up to 20 a day depending on whether I need to stop an attack. If I don't I'll get D up to 40 times a week, so you can tell how bad my particular problem is.

I take imodium when I get up, and before meals. Works great for me!! Good luck!

~nelly~

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 432 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 479

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review