All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Indian Food...
      #149387 - 02/12/05 06:28 PM
puffybelly

Reged: 02/04/05

Ooooh, I ate Indian food for dinner tonight and though it wasn't to spicey I "lost my dinner" within an hour. Being "C" on a regular basis...a bout with "A" is almost a relief.

I had their shish kebabs which really looked more like "louisiana boudin" and my son ate their curry. Wow...I wish I could tolerate it better. The naan was wonderful!

--------------------
"puffy"

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Indian Food... new
      #149392 - 02/12/05 07:03 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Indian food can be tricky. They cook it with yogurt and a LOT of butter (ghee). I've found that the safest stuff to eat is tandoori chicken, as long as it's on the milder side, and chicken tikka, neither of which have sauces on them. And believe it or not, the naan can be tricky too - it's also made with yogurt, and sometimes drizzled with butter.

naan is nasty, even though its "fried" and whole wheat.. new
      #149462 - 02/13/05 02:29 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

poori is safer because it doesn't have dairy in the dough!

I do ok with certain dishes because I know the sauces on them don't have yogurt or ghee in them... some of the daal dishes, and some of the curries at certain places, and my indian friend will make it for me without the ghee- she'll add soem chicken or vegetable broth instead if I ask...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Re: Indian Food... new
      #149472 - 02/13/05 04:06 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

I hard tiem with Indian food too. I love it but it doesn't always love me. I can't have naan bread at all and have to stick with milkd potato curries, rice and lentil soup.

Casey's right in that they cook wth ghee which is clarified butter which is obvioulsy an IBS no-no.

To be able to eat Indian, I just make it myself at home and have never had a problem. I have an amazing curried chickpea recipe if you're interested.

I saw the chicken tikka new
      #149490 - 02/13/05 06:25 AM
puffybelly

I may order that next time. I have eated naan in the past with no isues but it was made by my neighbor and not a restaurant. Wouldn't you know I messed my stomach up after a few days of being stable. Argghh.

--------------------
"puffy"

Re: Indian Food...Ate it last night with NO trouble - thanks to you all new
      #149900 - 02/14/05 11:32 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I was thrilled to find this thread Sunday morning since I was scheduled to eat Indian food Sunday night with vegan friends. My previous experiences with it had been so bad that the last time we ate it I stuck to plain Basmati rice and naan.

I noted the points made in this thread, then did a search on "Indian", and noted the recommendations I found there. Armed with this knowlege, I headed off to dinner. My vegan friends had decided on a vegetarian Indian restaurant which knocked a number of specifically recommended items like chicken tikka and Tandoori chicken off the list. I asked about the naan and it DID have dairy in it which was a shock to my vegan friends who always order it. The waiter recommended poori instead, but the restaurant I was at made them with whole wheat flour, so that was out.

Anyhow, I asked a bunch of the questions I found in various postings and ended up ordering masala dosai, which is a rice and lentil "pancake" made with no dairy. It's cooked on a grill (griddle) and they may use some oil on the grill, but it is NOT fried. The masala version was stuffed with potato, onion, and herbs. I also ordered mango chutney which was yummy and a dish of plain Basmati rice which I ate some of first. The meal was delicious and my tummy had no trouble with it at all.

It was great to eat out and not have an upset, but it was even greater to know I could go to a "strange" restaurant and manage to find food I could eat and enjoy. I was going to say that you can't imagine how good that made me feel, but I think you can all imagine exactly how good that made me feel.

Thanks for being such a great resource.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Oh rub it in....why don't you? Just kidding....~nt~ new
      #149943 - 02/14/05 12:54 PM
puffybelly

--------------------
"puffy"

Re: Oh rub it in....Ah, but I owe all my success to you!....~nt~ new
      #149990 - 02/14/05 02:14 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Wow...You did great! new
      #150052 - 02/14/05 03:39 PM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

How impressive! Unfortunately, when it comes to Indian food, I'm horrible at making the right decisions. I LOVE everything on the menu! I'm especially a sucker for Tikka Masala. The chicken is marinated in yogurt . Ohhhh, but it is soooo good! I'm glad you were able to be successful with what you ate.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

I am glad someone benefited...oooh what an experience! nt new
      #150054 - 02/14/05 03:50 PM
puffybelly

--------------------
"puffy"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1340 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6889

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review