All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS or not?
      #149346 - 02/12/05 04:43 PM
Michelle N.

Reged: 12/15/04

I am beginning to wonder if I really have IBS. I do have a lot of the classic symptoms, but I also have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and anxiety problems. The reason I am wondering about the IBS is that many of the trigger foods do not bother me. In fact, eggs and goat's milk seem to be very soothing. My doctor suspects that I may have a wheat intolerance (not celiac disease) so she is doing food allgery blood testing next week along with my six-week thyroid panel. Input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Michelle N.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Hi Michelle. new
      #149377 - 02/12/05 05:56 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

Obviously I can't diagnose IBS and I'm not sure I have it until I have further tests done next week but I tried Heather's diet and the soy intake was really bad for my pain and D. I'm back on dairy now (albeit low fat cause I can't handle fatty foods) and am fine. I think it depends on the individual as to whether or not they can handle "triggers" and how much of it.

--------------------
Amy

Re: Hi Michelle. new
      #149379 - 02/12/05 06:00 PM
Michelle N.

What tests are you having done? I'm just getting bloodwork (thankfully!). I seem to be okay as long as I keep things lowfat. If I am goign to eat something naught, I have some oatmeal with it. I eat about three packs of oatmeal a day. I love the stuff.

Re: Hi Michelle. new
      #149381 - 02/12/05 06:05 PM
doubletrouble

I can only handle oats about twice a week on a good week. I also can't tolerate whole wheat or fruit (well the fructose in it). And a pizza sends me dashing to the loo for days so I just stick with low fat. I'm not actually on Heather's diet at the moment. I still stick to mainly soluable fibre but other than that I'm pretty much on a normal low fat diet although I do avoid red meat. Causes way too much pain.
I'm having a colonoscopy done next monday to check for PID as my bloodwork came back showing anemia, I lost a whole lot of weight and couldn't put it back on and my D patterns don't really follow IBS. The anemia was the reason they're doing it though. Is the blood test the first test you've had?

--------------------
Amy

your dietary issues sound like.. new
      #149463 - 02/13/05 02:36 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

either celiac/gluten intolerance, or a wheat allergy OR IBD- mom has Crohns.. and she has very similar symptoms...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Re: your dietary issues sound like.. new
      #149468 - 02/13/05 03:28 AM
Michelle N.

I thought with IBS yoou had blood in your stool and weight loss. I don't have either of those. My stomach upsets seem to go hand in hand with emotional upsets. It all started when I was in a time of my life where I was overwhelmed by stress after my first son was born. Once I got control of my life, it went away for more than two years and came back after the new baby. My job has been very stressful of late, also. I tend to have a flare-up after an argument with someone. My main problem is that I have come to expect problems, and that keeps me from doing a lot of the things I used to do, such as traveling, etc. The anxiety problem isn't helping.

Michelle... new
      #149469 - 02/13/05 03:30 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...you really NEED to have a colonoscopy as well as blood work and a stool sample tests. It isn't a good thing to not be having ALL these as IBS can only be diagnosed after ruling out everything else.

Re: Michelle... new
      #149471 - 02/13/05 03:39 AM
Michelle N.

Doc did mention the stool culture testing after the blood work comes back. I really, really don't want anything invasive like a colonoscopy and she doesn't want to put me through that unless she has to. I prefer to wait until they have perfected the Pillcam thing. My uncle had a colonoscopy and they perforated his colon. He had to have emergency surgery. No thank you!

Re: your dietary issues sound like.. new
      #149667 - 02/13/05 06:45 PM
doubletrouble

IBS doesn't have blood. Chrone's disease and Ulcerative Colitis can although it's not always seen. It does sound like IBS if you get attacks after stress (or during) but you should probably see your doc again just to rule out PID. And anxiety unfortunately seems to go hand in hand with having tummy problems. Hope you get it sorted out soon and start feeling better.

--------------------
Amy

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1049 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1490

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review