All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Interesting Probiotic I found
      #148651 - 02/10/05 01:40 PM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

I had been looking for something and had a hard time because I live in a small town and all the acidophilus had lactose in it also. So I looked online at this place I used to buy my contacts at because they sent me an e-mail about a sale they were having. Anyway -- I found this one that not only doesn't have any lactose -- it has no yeast, wheat, milk, egg, glutens, artificial colors or flavors, added sugar or preservatives. Plus it is specially coated so that it will not dissolve until it reaches your intestines -- so the acids in your stomach don't kill all the little guys you're trying to get to your intestines. It also has that mix that is supposed to be so good. It's called Natrol BioBeads Acidophilus Complex. I bought it at Drugstore.com The only downside that I could see is that it does use gelatin and vegetable oil in the bead -- but it would have to be tiny amounts -- and it hasn't upset my tummy yet..... but it's only been a couple days. I just thought I'd share - I know how hard it can be to find things. I haven't used it long enough to see if this will make a major change or not -- but it hasn't upset anything and it sounds like it might be a pretty good deal.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Interesting Probiotic I found new
      #148912 - 02/11/05 07:54 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

Recently researching probiotics, and Natrol Biobeads has a very high consumer report rating because it actually contains the number of live cultures it claims on the package. A very reputable and good product for probiotic use. Just thought I'd let you know.

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Thanks for the feedback! new
      #148925 - 02/11/05 08:30 AM
kshsmom

That's good to know. Being a newbie in this whole supplement area, it's nice to hear I made a good choice!

#148964 - 02/11/05 11:26 AM
MissS

Reged: 02/11/04

Thanks for sharing that information. I'm very interested in it. I, too, live in a small town and it's nearly impossible to find health foods and supplements here. I've been using wal-mart brand acidolphilus, but I don't think it really helps much.

The price on these looks good, too!

#148966 - 02/11/05 11:34 AM
sybd

Reged: 02/07/05

You can also find it online here for a better price:
http://www.vitacost.com/Store/Products/ProductDescription.cfm?SKUNumber=047469040420......going to order some now!

Love BioBeads for travel new
      #148968 - 02/11/05 11:40 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

This was a company that most generously supplied us with samples for the Fall Sprawl in Las Vegas last October. Since then I've been hooked because they are so tiny, do not need refrigeration, and are easily carried in my purse. The only draw back I can see is there isn't a high number of live cultures in one of those little beads, so I take a couple. I take a different brand at home, of a much higher potency, or my homemade non-dairy kefir. Because I take both digestive enzymes and a probiotic with every meal, especially when I eat out, these are just so handy to have with me.
Kandee

--------------------

I'm in KS too -- and the Wal-Mart brand I saw had lactose in it --- new
      #148985 - 02/11/05 12:22 PM
kshsmom

which is a big trigger for me -- that's why I had to look elsewhere. They only had one choice though --- maybe yours offered something different.

Re: Love BioBeads for travel new
      #148991 - 02/11/05 12:30 PM
kshsmom

So 1 Billion isn't enough? How much do you need? I also take digestive enzymes. I am trying to learn.

#149002 - 02/11/05 12:48 PM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

Kandee, what probiotic do you use at home? I know you are C and I just recently introduced probiotics and digestive enzymes to my diet. Right now I'm only taking one Jarrodophilus per day. Should I take more? I have noticed some improvement, but still having some issues. Suggestions?

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Non-Dairy Kefir Kandee!? new
      #149014 - 02/11/05 01:08 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

How do you make this? I'm very interested! Mind sharing? *hugs*

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Non-Dairy Kefir Kandee!? new
      #149042 - 02/11/05 02:19 PM
Kandee

Quote:

How do you make this? I'm very interested! Mind sharing? *hugs*

Buy the kefir starter at your HFS..any brand will do. Just follow instructions on the pkg. but instead of making it with milk or goat's milk, use rice, almond, oat or soy milk. It is so easy..just add the dry starter to the milk and let it sit for 24 hrs. It tastes like a mild buttermilk. I put it in a smoothie almost daily or just drink the stuff 4-6 oz. I also use it in baking and in pancakes or waffles, GF of course for me. The only problem is that you can't start new kefir with some of the old (like yogurt) if you use a milk alternative beverage, so you have to make a new batch each time. But at less than $5 for 6 starters (makes 6 quarts) I don't consider that expensive. Kandee

--------------------

#149045 - 02/11/05 02:32 PM
Kandee

Quote:

Kandee, what probiotic do you use at home? I use Metagenics Ultra Flora Plus DF, but to tell the truth I've used just about all of them with success. VS#3 (I think that's the name) is supposed to have the highest count of good bacteria and a lot of people swear by it, but it IS expensive. It's one I haven't tried yet. I know you are C and I just recently introduced probiotics and digestive enzymes to my diet. GOOD for you!! Right now I'm only taking one Jarrodophilus per day. Should I take more? What does the bottle say? I have noticed some improvement, but still having some issues. Suggestions? I'm convinced you can't hardly over dose on the stuff. When I first got so sick my doc put me on this Ultra Flora stuff...2 with every meal, and it never bothered me. Each cap has 7.5 billion Lactobacillus acidophilus and 7.5 billion Bifidobacterium, so that was a lot of them taken every day. I only take 1-2 of these a day now.

Do a board search, especially in the Research Library section for probiotics. There is lots of good information there on the subject. Recent studies suggest that even if the enzymes are DEAD they can still work in the gut...amazing, huh?

--------------------

How does Probiotics work exactly... new
      #149046 - 02/11/05 02:33 PM
BetterLife

Reged: 01/30/05
Loc: CA, USA

and what does it help? Curious...

--------------------
BetterLife

Thanks Kandee!!!! *hugs* n-t new
      #149048 - 02/11/05 02:38 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Start reading...... new
      #149064 - 02/11/05 03:32 PM
Kandee

here.

Kandee

--------------------

Kandee...Thank you new
      #149084 - 02/11/05 04:04 PM
BetterLife

Reged: 01/30/05
Loc: CA, USA

Thank you for the link. I will read this. I have another question for you. Are there different kinds of Probiotics that are different for different use? Which will help for C?

--------------------
BetterLife

Re: Kandee...Thank you new
      #149094 - 02/11/05 05:21 PM
Kandee

Quote:

Thank you for the link. I will read this. I have another question for you. Are there different kinds of Probiotics that are different for different use? Which will help for C?

From the article link: This may help.
Quote:

For constipation, a study conducted in Finland showed the probiotic Lactobacillus rhamnosus (L. rhamnosus) and Propionibacterium freudenreichii, a bacteriocin, produced a 24 percent increase in defecation frequency compared to supplementation with another probiotic, Lactobacillus reuteri (L. reuteri), or a placebo.1

If the probiotic you buy lists the strains, look for the word "rhamnosus", but don't look to just probiotics and digestive enzymes to cure the "C", because they won't. It take a LOT of fiber, both soluble and insoluble to do that, not to mention a sufficient daily intake of water and exercise.

Hope this helps.

Kandee

--------------------

Re: Start reading...... new
      #149582 - 02/13/05 01:57 PM
marjo

Reged: 01/13/04
Loc: Fort Wayne, Indiana

I was reading the posts on probiotics. I have never tried them, but I am going to have to take an antibiotic this week, if my urinary tract infection does not improve. I am afraid it will destroy all of the good bacteria in my system. Do you think that a probiotic would help me, once the antibiotic is out of my system? I am IBS-D, and I know that the Cipro will be hard on my colon, I will end up with D for a while after. Thanks

--------------------
Everything somehow always works out for the best.

Marlene new
      #149596 - 02/13/05 03:08 PM
Kandee

Quote:

I was reading the posts on probiotics. I have never tried them, but I am going to have to take an antibiotic this week, if my urinary tract infection does not improve. I am afraid it will destroy all of the good bacteria in my system. Do you think that a probiotic would help me, once the antibiotic is out of my system? I am IBS-D, and I know that the Cipro will be hard on my colon, I will end up with D for a while after. Thanks

Along with the cranberry and water you should have been on a probiotic all along since being diagnosed with an UTI. Do a Goggle search for: Probiotics for Urinary Tract Infections..there is some valuable information there.

I truly shudder when I hear of anyone going on Cipro. I am convinced I wouldn't even be on this board today if it weren't for taking Cipro and NO probiotic. I think it is close to being criminal that doctors don't put a patient on probiotics even before they start an antibiotic and all during it's use. Kandee

--------------------

Re: Non-Dairy Kefir Kandee!? new
      #149696 - 02/13/05 08:17 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Couldn't find the starter at whole foods or wild oats!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Marlene new
      #150540 - 02/15/05 05:59 PM
marjo

Kandee, thanks for the advice. I hate the thought of messing up my stable system, but can't seem to get rid of this UTI. I will check out the web for the best probiotic to take. Kinda scary taking something with bacteria in it, but it sounds like that is what I should do.

--------------------

Re: Marlene new
      #154463 - 02/26/05 01:02 PM
marjo

Hi, just wanted to let you know that I took the Cipro for my UTI, and besides a little cramping in the a.m., I have been fine. I took a probiotic as soon as I took the cipro and have been taking 2 a day since then. When and how will I know if the probiotic is doing anything?

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1255 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3180

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review