All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
out of country travel
      #148309 - 02/09/05 04:29 PM
emmanne

Reged: 02/09/05

My college-age daughter (who unfortunately has inherited her IBS from me) will be traveling to Italy in May of this year for classes. She wants her Dad and me to go with her before her classes begin to do some sightseeing. I have never traveled to Europe, and am very nervous about traveling with my IBS. I am mentally making a list of "worse case scenerios", and have talked myself out of going! It saddens me that I may miss the chance of a lifetime because of this problem, and worse, dissapoint my daughter. She is not concerned about coping with the situation at all. Lucky her. Is there anyone who has traveled abroad and managed to control symptoms? If so, I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I went to Italy last May (some pics included)... new
      #148314 - 02/09/05 04:51 PM

Unregistered

and I had absolutely no problems at all when I was there IBS wise. I was soooo nervous about it but I had not a single attack or even the hint of one while I was there. I would definitely encourage you to go there and travel around with her a bit in the beginning because you won't regret it. What part is she going to be in?? I lived in Florence but we went and travelled all over. I'd be happy to recommend some places for her and all of you...even places I found safe food, etc. My email is in my profile and here is a link to the post I'd made when I came back.

Here are some pics from my trip..thought they might get you excited

This is me and my friends at the top of the Duomo in Florence which has just got to be one of the most AMAZING places I've ever been in my life.

Here's a view of Florence from a piazza on the hill. The big church you see is the Duomo that we're on top of in the picture above.

View from the Duomo without people in the way

A view of Florence and the river.

This is Cinqueterre...besides the Duomo, this is one of the BEST places in Italy. It's a short train ride from Florence and is a series of 5 little villages built into the cliffs on the Mediterranean on the part of Italy that hooks up and around over to the French Riveria.

On the way back to the apartment after class one day walking along the river.

And of course...Venezia! Venice was just amazing beyond words and unlike any other place you'll ever be.

Well that's a portion of my scrapbook and if you can't tell, it was just one of the most AMAZING things I've even done in my life..well at this point I'd say my trip really does sit at the top of my list. The only thing I wish had been different was that I could have shared the trip with my family or someone else really close to me. Sure I made great great friends on the trip, but seeing all these places for the first time in my life was just an absolutely amazing and unforgettable experience, but still felt sort of empty in a way when I couldn't turn to my best friend or my parents or a boyfriend and say "isn't this the most amazing thing you've ever seen in your life?" and just enjoy being there with that person. For you and your husband and your daughter I think it'd be an amazing bonding experience and something you'd never ever regret. Sure you can see all the pictures you want, but it's just not the same as being there with each other and experiencing it. I hope that makes sense.

Well ask me ANY questions you want because I love to talk about it Good luck to you and her and please rethink turning down going over there because I think you'd really be cheating yourself and your daughter - don't let the IBS monster win!!

Re: out of country travel new
      #148490 - 02/10/05 07:23 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Do a search for travel and you should find lots of posts. I travel abroad with no hesitation - the plane trip is always the worst bit for me and then I'm fine. The key is planning and relaxing!

#148554 - 02/10/05 09:44 AM
puffybelly

Reged: 02/04/05

I usually become more constipated when I travel but with Stevis-Plus those worries are no longer. I would pack Luna bars, equalactic, immodium....whatever helps you out.

I hope you go on your trip..it will be a blessing I am sure.

--------------------
"puffy"

#148561 - 02/10/05 10:02 AM
suarez

Reged: 11/19/04
Loc: ILLINOIS

Please go to Europe. Italy is so beautiful. My husband and I took our 2 daughters to Florence, Venice and Rome and it was wonderful. I think sometimes when we travel our IBS
is better because you are out of the every day stresses. I think if you don't think about it and just enjoy the trip you will be fine. There is a lot of bread and pasta and those are 2 things you can eat.

#149186 - 02/11/05 11:52 PM
Whitey

Reged: 01/18/05
Loc: Originally from Scotland now living in United Arab Emirates

I had the same worries about fling home for my mum's birthday and nearly didn't go. I posted on this board and got some great advice. Had everything I needed to hand e.g Immodium etc and didn't need them in the whole two weeks I was home. Ask to sit near the back of the plane (where the bathroom is)the knowledge I could go quickly if I needed to definately helped and book a night flight if you can so you'll either sleep or you'll have access to the bathroom because everyone else is asleep!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 436 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1120

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review