All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Loud Stomach Voices
      #147941 - 02/08/05 05:26 PM
meshari

Reged: 12/25/04
Loc: Kuwait, Kuwait

well this is my problem, i dont know what triggers it, i tried several kind of foods and tested most of them, but the result is always the same, i cant figure out what triggers the Loud stomach Voices , i found out that it gets worse when i drink anything with something that has caffine, eat vegetables. and my stomach hurts me sometimes when i eat chocolate, olives, sometimes Shrimp.

the voices keep bothering me, most of the day weither i was hungry or not, they keep coming out , i stopped eating the above mentioned and it decreased somehow from coming out, but i cant stop it completly, i cant concentrate on studying, i feel embrassed when am in meetings with these loud voices coming out from my stomach, , this case been with me for 5 years now, and most of time i feel like am out of energy, even if i sleep alot. Any advice is welcome to get out of this Hell

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

No advice really but have sympathy.. new
      #147950 - 02/08/05 06:03 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

I have a really rumbly loud tummy too. I really hate being in a quiet room cause everyone thinks I'm hungry even though I've probably eaten not long ago and am just suffering the after effects. I get it mostly at night though after I go to bed. Have you tried (other than avoiding the triggers, chocolate is a REALLY bad one for making my tummy sound like a washing machine) taking something like De-Gas or Gas-x I think it's called in America?

--------------------
Amy

Re: No advice really but have sympathy.. new
      #148025 - 02/09/05 01:11 AM
caprice

Reged: 01/11/05

I'm sorry but have this too. Especially if I haven't had a bm in awhile. It makes me feel uncomfortable too.Are you constipated a lot? I feel like when I get a handle on that the noises will get better. I agree with the other I think its gas too. I also am starting to look at what I ate the day before,especially at night. I think for me its sometimes if I consume too much of a certain food. Like an example if you ate more then usual of chocolate. I'm sorry no great advice other than I usually eat some bread to settle the juices hungry or not.Take care

Re: Loud Stomach Voices new
      #148053 - 02/09/05 04:58 AM
angela3

Reged: 07/12/04
Loc: Texas, near Fort Worth)

my stomach is loud also, like you can here the acid moving through and it growls even after about 30 minutes to an hour of eating, probably because i never eat very much in one sitting. i handle it by eating bread like stuff during meeting, I just snack on little things like dry cereal or crackers, and it seems to calm things down. I also watch what I eat the night before if I have a meeting or church services the next morning, I just make sure I don't eat anything that could cause problems while going through my intenstines.

Also, another thing I do is try to always sit by a vent, or if someone has a laptop computer with the little fan going, I just try to sit by something that is kind of noisey to cover up my stomach. This of course is not always possible.

But my stomach has been loud (not gas, just noises) my whole life, even before IBS, so don't feel bad,you are not the only person in the world.

#148055 - 02/09/05 05:19 AM
meshari

yeah i usually do that too setting near something noisy lol, and i tried gas-X and some other peppermint capsules, they just kept my stomach bloat like a ballon , the doctor told me that my stomach is full of gases last time i went to the hospital, i dont know if this something that been caused from IBS or if it is genetic thing, since the doctor told me there is no Cure for you and you have to live with it entire your life. i decided since then to not get married so my Children wont suffer like me, i dont want them to take my genes and suffer like me lol, anyways i know i sound crazy but since i cant figure the solution for this problem and lost my scholarship due it because i couldnt attend lectures with this noisy stomach, thanks all for your replies have good day.

Abdominal massage for trapped gas new
      #148058 - 02/09/05 05:42 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Hi Meshari

If it is gas I've found that abdominal massage can really help release it. This is something my naturopath turned me on to and I find it really helps. Now, while you're doing it it's going to make your noises LOUDER (so don't do it during your lectures!) but in the long run I find it helps to really quiet them down.

Lie on your back in bed and try to relax. Then start running your fingers over your stomach (mostly lower) until you find a spot that feels kind of lumpy or bubbly or a spot that hurts. Then gently but firmly press two or three fingers into the spot and start making little circles. Like I said, you'll probably start gurgling and grumbling! But it won't hurt, and after a minute or so you should notice that the 'lump' is starting to subside! (and well you may be releasing gas too so best to do this alone - it definitely relieves some of the pressure though!)

Best of luck!!!

I believe in that! new
      #148064 - 02/09/05 06:05 AM
puffybelly

Reged: 02/04/05

My friend is a massage therapist and she taught me to massage my stomach in clockwise circles and wow did it ever make a difference. I try to massage my stomach every night trapped gas or not!

--------------------
"puffy"

#148071 - 02/09/05 06:25 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I just want to add what everyone else has mentioned. THere are some great yoga moves and poses that will help with trapped gas. Hit the "yoga for iBS" icon at the top of this page. It will give you a few ideas about how to get this gas moving and "out" before it makes loud noises. JUst an idea.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: Abdominal massage for trapped gas new
      #148110 - 02/09/05 08:22 AM
meshari

thanks for the advice i will try that soon, hope it will help out

#148142 - 02/09/05 09:51 AM
ktsmom

Reged: 02/09/05

My daughter, who is 14, has the same problem. She has called me from school before in frustration after dealing with sitting in a quiet classroom with her stomach hurting and the EMBARRASSMENT for a girl her age to have all these loud noises coming from her intestines. I picked her up in tears. Our dr. prescribed a drug(Librax) which she has been taking for a month. I think it has helped some though I worry about her being on this drug for a long time. Does anyone know anything about it?

Re: Loud Stomach Voices (answer to Librax question) new
      #148354 - 02/09/05 06:13 PM
angela3

Librax was the first pill the doctor gave me for my stomach problems, and I remembered it did help me, but I did not like the side effects, it was really constipating and also caused me trouble urinating. But it should not be harmful for her, it is just an antispasmadic. Did she try enteric coated peppermint capsules as an antispasmadic first, or did you go straight for the prescription. Peppermint capsules would be a more natural way to go if you are worried about long term Librax taking.

I am off of Librax for a long time now, and just use peppermint tea and capsules, and an Immodium AD if it really starts spasms or hurting.

My stomach was loud in class also, during tests it made me uncomfortable, I convinced some teachers that I needed to take my tests alone in a separate room so I could concentrate on the test instead of my stomach, and that really helped. But I went to a small school that was very accomodating.

Re: Abdominal Massage works for me new
      #148403 - 02/09/05 10:31 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

When I read the post about the massage therapist, I started massaging my abdomen every night when I go to bed. When it is really bad, and the trapped gas is really stubborn, I will put a heating pad on it and it helps too. Yay for ab massage!!!!

#148504 - 02/10/05 07:42 AM
ktsmom

Thanks for your reply. No, she hasn't tried peppermint capsules though she drinks peppermint tea and uses acacia fiber every day. The biggest problem she has right now, even while trying to stay on a very controlled diet, is intestinal gas and loud noises from her intestines. She still has pain off and on also but it's not bad every day like it used to be before she starting watching what she eats.

I sometimes feel like she would feel better if she could worry less about all this, and not be focused on it so much. But as you mentioned, it IS very hard to sit in class and try to concentrate on what's going on when all you can really think about is how your stomach is feeling or worrying about the people around you hearing it making weird noises.

IBS has kept her from going places with friends and participating in activities because she hasn't wanted to take the risk of having an attack while she's out, and I just wish there was something more I could do to help her. Knowing there are others out there who've had this same problem has helped her some emotionally,though she doesn't know anyone personally (it's hard for her sometimes to see her friends eating whatever they want and going places without worrying about what kind of food will be offered or how they'll feel when they get there.)

And anything that would attract attention to her, like asking to take tests somewhere else,is absolutely out of the question. She won't even let me talk to her teachers and ask if she can have permission to leave to go the bathroom during class whenever necessary (she has one class where you absolutely can't leave to go to the bathroom, without it being a huge deal, which I think is just nuts.)

I'm glad to hear the Librax shouldn't be harmful. The other suggestion the dr. had,if this didn't work,was trying an antidepressant (she's not depressed but he said it would boost her serotonin levels which might help with the IBS) but I also have VERY mixed feelings about that.

#148540 - 02/10/05 08:46 AM
meshari

Well my doctor told me that i had IBS because of depression, even though am not depressed and i told him that, but he still says its the cuase of my IBS 5 years ago, i managed to control some symptoms like Dierra and stopped eating greecy food, but still cant control the Stomach voices, i got embarrased several times during classes because of them, so i started avoiding going to college in the end i lost my scholarship, some people told me its not big deal and i should ignore it and stop thinking about it much because it will stress me more and would trigger the noises again, i started going to college again, but managed somehow to control the noises by eating 2-3 wheat biscuits, and whenever i feel like its going to come out in class i just go out and eat something then go back to my class, its really tiresome thing to deal with in the long term because your always thinking about what if other people hear the noise again and about the embraccment that would happen. maybe i will try the Hypnosis for IBS,and test the results along with doing excerises.

#148590 - 02/10/05 11:22 AM
angela3

First off, let me say...you are a great mom for doing your best to help her. IBS is so frustrating because I think of all the things I want to do and can't because I am worried about my stomach.

I do understand that she would not want to do anything in school that would call attention to her, such as taking a test in another room. At first I was like that also, but then I just told myself that it did not matter what others think, I have to do what is best for me. But for a 14 year old that is very hard.........

Have you tried any Gas medicines, like Gas X. I have not, but other people on this board have had good luck with them.

Also, I have not tried anti-depressants,but others on this site have had good luck with them. Don't feel bad about the fact that she has to take medications. Many people need it to feel better, my mother has taken Prozac for 15 years, and she is a wonderfully happy and normal person.

I am taking a blood pressure pill to control my migraines, as a result, it also reduces my stress, which has calmed me down quite a bit, and therefore stopped alot of my stomach worries. I am not recommending blood pressure medicine, but an anti-depressant or anti-anxiety pill would have a similar effect.

Good Luck.

#148905 - 02/11/05 07:25 AM
ktsmom

I think, like most moms, when I see my child feeling bad I want to fix it. I would much rather it be me than her. But I am interested to hear that reducing your stress has helped your IBS. I started taking her to a counselor last week to talk about ways to deal with her stress, and I am still open to the idea of other medications if it seems like she needs some more help. She has tried some gas medicine which didn't seem to help a lot, but I'm not sure if she used it consistently. The dr. we have started going to also seems to be really on the ball which is encouraging.

#148908 - 02/11/05 07:29 AM
ktsmom

It is really pretty hard (if not impossible) for a person to just stop worrying about something because someone tells them "just stop worrying." I try to tell my daughter that I don't think other people will really pay that much attention to any noises her stomach makes, but I realize it is a really big deal to her. I hate to hear you lost your scholarship, I hope you can keep on going with college this time. Good luck with everything.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 365 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 39941

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review