All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Help, I have a UTI!
      #147870 - 02/08/05 02:49 PM
marjo

Reged: 01/13/04
Loc: Fort Wayne, Indiana

I need help on what to do for a urinary tract infection....I can't take antibiotics, as they tear up my stomach. I have been drinking cranberry juice and water, any other suggestions on getting rid of it? I just found out today.

--------------------
Everything somehow always works out for the best.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Help, I have a UTI! new
      #147878 - 02/08/05 03:11 PM
mindyj

Reged: 05/14/04
Loc: Northern Virginia

Hi Marjo,
I know what you mean about the antibiotics tearing up the tummy - they do for me too and I've seen lots of other people talk about problems with it, but honestly, if you know you have a UTI, you NEED to take them. If you don't the infection could easily go up to your kidneys and honestly, if left untreated could become a problem much bigger than diahrrea and fatigue from IBS while on antibiotics. They are the lesser of two evils here. Really, I've had a kidney infection and my fever went up over 104, my body has never shook so hard in my life - it was trully miserable! Go to the doctor, get the perscription, on the way home stop at the healthfood store and get some probiotics and yoghurt. Go home and finish ALL your pills or the infection will come back in a drug resistant form. Once you're done with the course of antibiotics - and while you're on them for that matter - eat easier foods and drink lots of liquids. I know it's yucky, but you'll get through this.
Feel better soon.
Mindy

#147928 - 02/08/05 05:04 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi,

If I have a UTI that's not really too bad I take something you can get OTC called AZO or Cystex. They turn your urine orange but seem to flush out the bladder. Unless you have a really bad one they should help. Ask the pharmacist about it before you buy it, though, to be sure it will be OK with any other meds you are taking.

AND, drink plenty of water.

Good luck
Barbie

--------------------

#147955 - 02/08/05 06:17 PM
Angie113

Reged: 12/31/04
Loc: Alternate b/w Northern and Southern California

OMG i'm so sorry!! UTIs are the most painful horrible thing in the world!!! Drinking water and cranberry juice are good, you can also take cranberry as an herbal extract like in a tablet form. I would try going to a HFS and asking about a homeopathic remedy, those can help. I would avoid the antibiotics unless it doesn't go away in a few days. Also, for the pain, sometimes a baking soda bath can help. Good luck!

--------------------
~Angela

I thought you had to take antibiotics for a UTI..... new
      #148224 - 02/09/05 12:58 PM
bellshel32

Reged: 10/28/04
Loc: Kansas, USA

That's been my understanding, anyway. I just had a UTI last week, so I know how you're feeling. It's painful!!!

I got a 3-day supply of Bactrim, which made me very C, but seemed to kick the UTI quickly. I also bought some urinary pain tablets at the drug store. They helped so much with the pain! They turn your urine an orangy-red color, which is kind of freaky, but who cares, right?

Drinking cranberry juice and lots of water is supposed to help prevent UTI's. But honestly, I drink cranberry juice & water everyday.

Hope you feel better soon!

#148231 - 02/09/05 01:13 PM
Carolyn28

Reged: 01/23/05
Loc: Southern California

I just found this post, as I have a UTI too!
I am going to the doctor tomorrow, and of course she will prescribe some type of antibiotic - like Cipro, which will make me have D like no other!
Has anyone had a UTI, and was given medicine that did not give them D ???
My husband is leaving for Iraq next Tuesday - this is the worst time to be having a UTI, and once I start the antibiotics, I will probably be up all night with D!!

Any help would be wonderful!!!

--------------------
Suffer from IBS-D

Re: I thought you had to take antibiotics for a UTI..... new
      #148238 - 02/09/05 01:25 PM
Carolyn28

Reged: 01/23/05
Loc: Southern California

Bellshel,

Are you usually IBS -D ? The UTI medicine you were prescribed did not cause diahrhea ? I would love to know more info on that medicine, I am going to the doctor tommorrow for my UTI!

--------------------
Suffer from IBS-D

#148264 - 02/09/05 02:03 PM
LittleFox

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: California

I know what antibiotics can do, I am IBS-A prone to C. You really should take an antibiotic though. Infection can spread to you kidneys and then you will really have a problem.

Check with your doctor and see what is prescribed. If he/she knows you have IBS-C, they will prescribed the most digestible one. Unfortunately Cipro is an antibiotic that is soley for a Urinary Tract Infection.

I wish I could be of more help, but you don't want to get an infection in the kidneys and suffer worse do you?

Hang in there, you will be okay.

Good luck.

Lene

--------------------
God never promised life would be easy, but he did promise to provide a way out!

#148300 - 02/09/05 03:36 PM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

I had a UTI a couple months back for the first time. Hopefully the only! i was told I HAD to take the antibiotics, and I did. I ate lots of soy yogurt for probiotics. And i ate off of the "what to eat when you can't eat anything" and only took the pills on a full soluble fiber tummy. I only had D about the first day, and immodium took care of that.
It is only one week, you gotta do what you gotta go!

--------------------
-Sheri

#148404 - 02/09/05 10:35 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

You can get the AZO over the counter, they really help relieve the pain. I take cranberry capsules because I can't stand the sugar in the cranberry juice. That helps also, OH, and acidolphillus is a great urinary tract helper. you can get it at wal mart. Hope this helps honey, hate it that you have this, I hate them. Get better soon!!!

No... new
      #148485 - 02/10/05 07:16 AM
bellshel32

Reged: 10/28/04
Loc: Kansas, USA

I'm an IBS-C. If you're prone to D, you might try this antibiotic! I take Miralax everyday for my C, but even that didn't help while I took the Bactrim.

Hope your UTI gets better quickly.

#148610 - 02/10/05 12:07 PM
adobemoes

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Connecticut

Just be careful when you take the OTC meds that will ease the pain.. just because the pain is gone, doesn't mean the UTI is gone-
I have about one UTI a month, I am IBS-A
and if I stay true to the diet and lean heavily on the safe foods, cipro doesn't cause too much upset.
Hope you feel better soon!

#149302 - 02/12/05 01:21 PM
marjo

Reged: 01/13/04
Loc: Fort Wayne, Indiana

HI, I went to the doctor and got the big Cipro pill, but am scared to take it. I am IBS-D also, and don't want to be off work, because I can't leave home... I went to the health food store and bought Super Cranactin, by Solaray. This is my first day, I am going to take 4 each day, plus cranberry juice and lots of water for 4 more days, and go back and get tested to see if it is better. I have had the UTI for a week now. I don't know if this is the right thing to do for sure, as I have only had one other case years ago. I talked to a nurse friend and she thought I would be ok trying it before taking the Cipro. Trial and error, I guess. My symtoms are not unbearable at this point. I am usually healthy, if I stay on Heathers diet, so I am afraid the Cipro will strip all of the good bacteria out of my system. Maybe I am overreacting, but I have been so sick with IBS in the past, that I don't want to take a chance with the antibiotic wrecking my stomach........I don't know if this will help, but this is what I am doing for now. Good luck

--------------------
Everything somehow always works out for the best.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2380 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2541

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review