All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Safe Chili's menu item
      #147566 - 02/07/05 02:07 PM
ktyner

Reged: 02/07/05
Loc: Louisiana

Just wanted to let everyone know....I went to Chili's Friday night and had the most wonderfully yummy dinner!! They have this promotion going on right now--Big Mouth Burgers. On that menu, they have a portabella mushroom "burger" with any trimmings that you want. I had mine with lettuce, onion, and guacamole....fabulous. I don't know if this will hang around or not, but it's definitely worth the trip.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Safe Chili's menu item new
      #147590 - 02/07/05 04:12 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

UUUUmmmmmm..........Sounds good.... others might wanna ask to make sure the guacamole does not have any sour cream in it... just in case.

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Re: Safe Chili's menu item-Here are some more new
      #147786 - 02/08/05 12:00 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

The mushroom burger sounds fabulous. And, according to Chili's nutritionist, the guacamole has no dairy (see rest of post for explanation of how I found this out).

I emailed Chili's asking if there was anything on their menu I could eat, by which I meant no dairy, no whole grains, nothing fried. Their very nice nutritionist wrote back to say the following should work:

- Citrus Fired Chicken (margarita marinated chicken breast) and Shrimp (request no garlic butter) without Rice and sub steamed veggies (request no garlic butter or parm cheese) 

- Grilled Salmon w/ Garlic & herbs - (request no garlic spread or oil - salmon cooked dry), skip the rice, and sub dry steamed veggies (request no garlic butter or parm cheese)

- Margarita Grilled Chicken - request dry-grilled with No Black Beans, No Rice and No Tortilla Strips - sub steamed veggies (request no garlic butter or parm cheese)

- Dinner Salad topped with only sliced Tomatoes with a side of oil and vinegar for dressing

- Pico de Gallo or Guacamole as a garnish/topping for salads, etc....

As you'll see, she lists guacamole as being safe. I should note that she also warned me that their hamburger buns have "wheat flour" as the first ingredient even though they say "white". I'm going to email her to clarify whether this is whole wheat or not. I also want to ask what's in their flour tortillas, since eliminating the rice from the above entrees means a lack of soluble fiber.

Incidentally, I emailed a number of other chains like Chili's and Chili's is the only one I got any help from.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#147809 - 02/08/05 12:31 PM
ktyner

Thanks for the info, Sand. Gosh, it's a scary world out there, isn't it?? I never would have thought about asking about the hamburger bun. That's part of learning, though. In fact, until Shell Marr's reply, I had no idea that some people put sour cream in their guacamole. Again, thanks.

#147820 - 02/08/05 12:53 PM
Sand

To tell the truth, it never occurred to me either. When Chili's nutritionist replied to my post she included the burgers by mistake, but tacked on the warning about the buns. I've asked Chili's to clarify if there really is WHOLE wheat in the buns - I'll post what I hear from them.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Safe Chili's-Here are some more-I forgot to say... new
      #147823 - 02/08/05 12:57 PM
Sand

I promised the nutritionist at Chili's that I would use her recommendations only as a starting point and double-check with the waitstaff at the restaurant itself. Apparently, each Chili's may be a little different.

Also, because Chili's does grill stuff with butter and I guess has only one grill, there may always be traces of butter on the grill. So, even if you have your stuff grilled without butter it may pick up a little. If you're super-sensitive to dairy, that might be a problem for you.

There - I think that's it.

--------------------

#147846 - 02/08/05 01:39 PM
ktyner

You're great....I wonder why Chili's is the only place that was willing to reply...Mmmmmm.

#149513 - 02/13/05 09:00 AM
Sand

Well, I figured it was partly concern about misinforming someone with a real food allergy and partly trade secret concerns that kept the other chains from replying. However, I watched "Super Size Me" last night and now I'm feeling a little paranoid about exactly what is in restaurant food.

--------------------

Re: Chili's and whole wheat new
      #150227 - 02/15/05 07:32 AM
Sand

I heard back from Chili's yesterday and according to Guest Relations both their hamburger buns AND their flour tortillas have whole wheat in them. I think it's great Chili's is willing to be so responsive, but wish the answer had been different.

I cannot now think of something to order at Chili's that would provide soluble fiber without whole wheat or dairy. I guess I'll have to eat a handful of pretzels before I have lunch there.

--------------------

That's weird...
      #150245 - 02/15/05 08:21 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...because I always find their tortillas are quite a good base and snacking on them has prevented an attack before with me. Maybe it's different in the UK...or maybe it's like rice cakes where some people can tolerate the amount of IF in them and some can't.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 186 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2567

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review