All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Brown rice better for IBS-C ?
      #147323 - 02/06/05 08:19 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I was wondering if most of the people with IBS-C eat brown rice rather than white rice? Does it help the BM's to eat the brown? Can the brown rice still serve as the base when eating veggies?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Do IBS-C people eat brown rice or white or both?-nt new
      #147324 - 02/06/05 08:21 PM
Augie

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Brown rice better for IBS-C ? new
      #147393 - 02/07/05 07:22 AM
bellshel32

Reged: 10/28/04
Loc: Kansas, USA

I felt like I was getting more C when I just ate white rice. Lately I've been eating brown rice. But I like the taste better when I mix the two.

#147398 - 02/07/05 07:25 AM
nikjones_uk

Reged: 01/04/05

I'm IBS-C (I think), and found that one rice cake made me gurgly and v windy....it might be because I'm not used to it though?

Re: Do IBS-C people eat brown rice or white or both?-nt new
      #147408 - 02/07/05 07:55 AM
ptillen

Reged: 06/27/04
Loc: Milwaukee WI

The only time I eat white rice is when I go out for sushi (most restaurants don't make brown rice an option)- I'm C and I do find brown rice to be better for my digestive health.

#147411 - 02/07/05 08:04 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Hi Beth! Excellent question

I eat mostly white rice with a bit of brown rice pasta. I don't know if one helps more than the other cause I eat them both every day pretty much. What have you noticed?

I don't think I would eat it as a base for veggies. I know if I eat brown rice pasta I usually put it in soup, like Potato Leek, so that the potato takes care of the whole grain aspect.

Let us know how brown rice works out for you Good luck!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

So, Ruchie, you eat white rice new
      #147464 - 02/07/05 10:03 AM
Augie

mixed with brown rice pasta together? Like half and half? How does that taste?

For some reason, I thought you were eating brown rice from earlier posts (when I did a search on brown rice) because of something to do with glycemic index? Am I wrong? Did you used to do brown rice, but found that it didn't agree with you?

Do you follow a GF diet, is that why you eat rice pasta. I do the GF diet, such was wondering if you did too so I could get some menu suggestions from you!

I wasn't sure if I could use the brown rice pasta as a base for the veggies or not. But all the white rice seems to be a constipating effect. I know that it is part of the BRAT diet for D, so not sure how it can help the chronic C!

--------------------
~ Beth

Augie... new
      #147468 - 02/07/05 10:09 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...PLEASE read Heather notes here on how SF works for both C and D!!!!!!

I have read it but new
      #147490 - 02/07/05 10:42 AM
Augie

it justs lists rice, period, on the list and doesn't distinguish between brown and white so I am a little confused as to which it is referring to. Sorry about all this.

And I have read several posts on people who have reported that the white foods have caused them C. So, I just wanted to get some feedback from the C folks in order to educate myself better.

As you know from my previous posts, I am having a lot of difficulties getting throught this C and I am only trying to figure this whole thing out by wracking my brain with any possible thing I may be doing wrong or that I could try differently.

I know you are all frustrated, but this IBS is frustrating to figure out, see please bare with me. I'm sorry. I'm trying my best!

--------------------
~ Beth

Are you okay... new
      #147637 - 02/07/05 08:18 PM
Augie

when you only eat the brown rice without the white? Are you able to have Insoluble veggies with the brown rice too? Or can you only have the insoluble veggies with the white rice?

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Are you okay... new
      #147702 - 02/08/05 07:07 AM
bellshel32

Lately I've been eating just brown rice with different veggies. I've been cooking a lot of Asian & Indian recipes, so we've had chickpeas, onions, peapods, green peas, carrots, mushrooms, spinach, tomatoes, & water chestnuts in the dishes at various times. I added a little broccoli & cauliflower into a dish last week, but I usually don't do that too often because those cause me too much gas.

I've made quite a few of Heather's recipes in the EFI book, as well as recipes I've found online.

You might try eating half white & half brown mixed together to see if you're okay with that. That's what I did at first.
Hope this helps!

Michele,Kimm, Bamagirl new
      #147777 - 02/08/05 11:46 AM
Augie

Can you guys weigh in on this question? Please. I'd appreciate hearing from other C folks! Thanks

Do you guys eat white, brown, mixed and any advice?

--------------------
~ Beth

#147781 - 02/08/05 11:52 AM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I usually eat white rice but there's this rice cereal that I found that is brown rice and it's really yummy!!

I haven't found that eating white or brown rice makes a difference with me.

#147952 - 02/08/05 06:06 PM
Angie113

Reged: 12/31/04
Loc: Alternate b/w Northern and Southern California

Hey Beth!
I eat both brown and white, but I try to eat brown because it has more protein, and actually I was worried that when I ate more white for awhile, it might have given me C, but it's really hard to pinpoint the cause of that, as you probably know too well!

BTW, did you do ok with the prunes? I meant to tell you that I boiled some (only 3) with my hot cereal and it seemed to help me go, so I might try that. Also, I meant to tell you that I have the food allergy test info now that I'm at school, if you wanted to ask anything about it. Hope you're doing well!!

--------------------
~Angela

Hey Angie new
      #147956 - 02/08/05 06:20 PM
Augie

Glad to hear from you! So how's school going? Forgot what you were studying! Public Health?

Questions:
Do you mix the white and brown together? Or just sometimes eat brown and sometimes white? Do you eat insoluble veggies with your brown even though the brown rice is already an insoluble? I thought that might be too much insoluble at once without a soluble base to cushion it. I asked this question because I was afraid the white rice was inceasing the C also, but as you said, who knows what the culprits are. And since I eat Gluten Free, my dinner roll and bread are white rice based also, so that's a lot of white rice in products or side dish.

Yes, I would love to hear about your food testing if you feel that it helped you. I don't know how expensive it is or if you felt it proved accurate or helpful for you. Did it target any foods for you that proved improvement once they were removed?

You can email me the info or post on it. Either way is fine. My email address is on my profile.

Thanks so much! I wish you could post more often.

So did you take dried prunes (which are really plums I guess?) and boil those to rehydrate them? How long did that take? I've been dabbling with eating a few dried ones at night only but only 2 or the most 3. Don't know if it helps or hurts yet as I am in pain 24/7! And very gassy gassy, gassy!!! Sounds like it's working for you. That's good. Keep me updated. Have you changed anything else to help the bm's? Have you increased your sfs (or aren't you even on one)? I can't keep people's diets straight! Who's taking acacia, whose not taking anything!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: I have read it but new
      #148041 - 02/09/05 03:38 AM
Debs

Reged: 12/01/04

Hi Beth

You have nothing to be sorry about, at the end of the day we are all trying to figure out what works for us and as everyone keeps saying we are all different which makes us all unique. Unfortunatley this does not solve our problems as to what will work for us and what won't.

I am a C and find it all extremely frustrating when trying to figure out out what works best for me. I must agree though that eating white rice does not work for me I end up with no BM's and as I am trying to lose weight this is not good.

I hope this some how helps, even if you can take just a little bit of comfort from it to know that you are not being a pain you are just trying to find your way with everyone else and all their support.

Hope you feel better soon.

Big hugs

Debs

Re: Michele,Kimm, Bamagirl new
      #148061 - 02/09/05 06:02 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

I eat white rice, but not daily or anything. I can't load up on the SF on top of my Acacia too, or it causes more problems. With the dose of 2t of Acacia before each meal, I try to get IF (tomatoes, small amounts of lettuce, cooked broccoli, squash, sweet potatoes) at each meal too, and I notice a big difference. Water is key, but too much makes me sick, so I average between 65-90 oz per day. Hope this helps.

White rice does not bother me at all.

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Bamagirl new
      #148085 - 02/09/05 07:23 AM
Augie

Can you eat brown rice or do you only stick with the white?

--------------------
~ Beth

Thanks, Debs new
      #148086 - 02/09/05 07:26 AM
Augie

That was such a nice post to read. I do feel like such a pain, but it is simply out of pure desparation for relief. I am clueless as to what my triggers are.

I know we are all different, which makes it even more confusing since there is no standard diet.

So, do you eat brown rice?

--------------------
~ Beth

Yes, I can eat brown rice with no problem, white is just better received by the kids. -nt- new
      #148111 - 02/09/05 08:22 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Re: Hi Beth new
      #148119 - 02/09/05 08:55 AM
Debs

Reged: 12/01/04

No I don't generally eat brown rice, I just don't like the taste, I try to limit the amount of rice I eat because i do prefer white and find that it does sometime affect me, but that is probably when it is fried rice (too much oil) (but soooooooooooo yummy), generally if i have rice i mix it into a stir fry with chicken, veg and sauce and have a very small portion and have this with some tortilla wraps to fill me up.

I hope you are feeling better soon and don't worry about what others think, everyone here are here for the same reason as you and I, to find the answers to what seems impossible questions, we just have to keep trying to beat this thing and the more of us who complain and shout to make ourselves heard the better.

Chin up babes and smile, were all with you.

Tunsaluv

Debs

Hi Beth!! new
      #148349 - 02/09/05 05:59 PM
Angie113

Hi, school is going okay, although my classes seem to be much harder than I thought they would be... I am studying Human Biology now, but I want to get a Master's in Public Health, so you were right!

Regarding the rice, I don't mix white and brown together. I don't think that would cook very well, and I do okay with just brown so I eat that. I also usually (but not always) do eat it with veggies, but always cooked. If you have a gluten free rice roll, that would count as a soluble though, right, if you need it?

About the food testing, it helped me a little. I did notice some relief when I cut out a few things (I cut out bananas for a few months, and I realized I was eating those a LOT, and also tried to cut back on soy products but that proved VERY difficult) that I ate a lot, although I had low reactions to most things so I don't think it was affecting me terribly. My symptoms did not change dramatically, although I did not follow the recommended rotation diet, which was just too complex and difficult for me to handle while at school. The cost was about $200, although I don't actually have the receipt with me, so I can't be sure. If you have other questions, let me know. You can also try going to Great Smokies Lab which is the lab that analyzed the results and sent out the program, and you may be able to find out more.

When making the prunes, I only boiled them for about 5 minutes at the most, until they were a soft but not mushy. I thought it was easier to handle than just dried. I have increased my acacia by 1/4 tsp and my bowels have been pretty regular, but I also think the flaxseed is helping with that as well. I'm sorry to hear you're still so uncomfortable, and I wish i could post more too, but I am really busy with school right now and need to focus on that (although here I am goofing off on the computer!! too many distractions!). Anyways, nice to hear from you and hope this helps!

--------------------
~Angela

Thanks Angie new
      #148352 - 02/09/05 06:09 PM
Augie

for the detailed report. I'll have to think about the testing. That's a lot of money. And I don't think I would keep up with a rotation diet either. Too much thinking involved

So are you back to eating bananas?

BTW, how much flaxseed do you take a day? I only take 1/2 tablespoon so might need to increase that. I put it in my morning cereal.

How much acacia are you up to now? Now that is something I do want to try once I get the money.

Sorry I've been asking you so many questions lately. I'll try and tone it down.

--------------------
~ Beth

Beth-- I don't cook the white & brown rice together..... new
      #148486 - 02/10/05 07:19 AM
bellshel32

I cook them separately & THEN mix them together on my plate. They don't cook at the same speed-- brown rice takes longer.

Re: Thanks Angie new
      #149571 - 02/13/05 01:18 PM
Angie113

Your welcome Beth!! Don't worry about asking so many questions, I know this is hard...I have started eating bananas occassionally, like I buy one bunch a month and eat them maybe twice a week until they're gone (I refrigerate them so they don't get brown). I like them cuz they're easy to take on the go, and good for smoothies. I have been taking 1 tbl. with my cereal or smoothie in the morning, but only every other day. The serving size on the package is 2 tbl.'s, but I was scared to take that much so you might try increasing it a little? I take 1/2 tsp of acacia twice a day, that's been going on for like 1 1/2 weeks. Hope you're feeling well!

--------------------
~Angela

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1938 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6178

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review