All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
GOOD GRIEF: laparoscopy now?
      #14682 - 07/23/03 11:05 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

I had my OB-GYN appt today. He thinks the findings of the GI's Ct scan could be one of 2 things, get this! Either: pelvic congestion syndrome, basically the veins around my ovaries are too full from havng 3 babies and have not returned to normal, causes pain but not dangerous. OR... given my IBS symptoms and the suddenness of how much worse they've gotten over the past year, and since I took clomid to achieve my pregnancies, he suggests we do a laparoscopy now to rule out ovarian cancer. Good night! I said, wouldn't you have felt something in the physical exam or something have shown up in the cat scan? He said no, it is very hard to detect in early stages. He said it was up to me but if it were him he would rule it out now, I have enough red flags to warrant checking it, even though I'm young and therefor an unlikelier candidate and although the IBS and pelvic congestion thing combined could explain my symptoms and their findings thus far.

I know it seems nuts to not want to have a test done when a Dr looks you in the face and says the "c" word, but I'm done with this! I don't want any more tests to just "rule out" and come to the same conclusion all over again. What else are they going to do, turn me inside out to get a better look?

I'm venting now, I admit that. I don't have time, it was hard enough to get a sitter just to go to my appt this morning, and every time I have one of these tests it's an all day event by the time the whole thing is said and done.

Well, has anyone else had something similar to this brought up? I wish if you had IBS then God would somehow send you a telegram that says, "There are tons of other diseases and disorders that could look just like what you're going through, but you don't have any of those, you have IBS". Cause it seems you could spend your whole life ruling stuff out???

Sheesh, thanks for letting me vent.

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: GOOD GRIEF: laparoscopy now? new
      #14685 - 07/23/03 11:19 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I AM SO SORRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *hugs*

This is SO unfair to you! It's frustrating to see someone so special in so much pain.

I think you should get it rules out just to be safe. Throw an "I'm having another test done" party at your house with your friends to make the event less stressful. (I read about this in Prevetion mag...it sounded like a great idea to me!)

I'm also sick of having tests done--and having docs be unsupportive! I am still seeking a complete diagnosis. Just remember, G-d doesn't give us what we can't handle! He must think you're super special with all the struggles He gives you!

You're very strong! I know that whatever comes your way, you're gonna be just fine! Everything happens for a reason...and with your strong faith you know that well! I know you will grow from these experiences--and your family learns so much from this! They see you dealing with these trials in a positive way--and this will also help make their faith stronger too!

I wish I had something more concrete to say to help you--like a complete diagnosis! I believ you will get one. Just keep being patient, keep posting on the board, and keep your wonderful attitude! We love you Michelle! Good luck, and keep us posted! Thanks for venting with us!

*big hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#14687 - 07/23/03 11:51 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Michelle,

I'm so sorry you're having to go through all this. I can just feel your frustration. It is maddening to have all these tests done----the time and the money spent---and then the doctor come to the same conclusion, IBS. I've only had two tests done, but even with insurance, I will be paying a lot out of pocket. When the bills came in the other day, my husband say, "Gosh, I didn't realize it was going to be this much" and it made me feel so guilty. I feel like my entire family now thinks all this is just "in my head" because the tests did not point to anything wrong. Everyone keeps telling me I just need to relax. If it were only that easy!

I wish I could advise you on what to do. Unfortunately, you're the only one who can make that decision. It's your body and you have to decide if it's worth it or not to pursue this further.

Don't ever feel bad about venting your anger on us---we're the only ones who can really understand what you are going through. I just wish there was something I could do to help you. I wish you were on the same side of Charlotte that I am because I would be happy to babysit your little ones while you go to the doctor. Please keep that in mind. In the meantime, I will pray that God gives you the strength to deal with this. And please vent again, if it makes you feel better! Hang in there!

#14693 - 07/23/03 01:06 PM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

Ooooh Michelle I'm so sorry to read about what the doc. said. I totally understand not wanting more tests, because of the fear nothing will show up.
Don't forget the last time you had a test done something did show up and that resulted in your doctor visit today. Personally I think you should have the test done and pray that God will bring someone along to watch your little ones.
Blessings,
Barbara

#14701 - 07/23/03 02:54 PM
2sweeties

Reged: 06/04/03

My best to you, I know it's hard, but you should get it done. Hopefully this will rule out all the scarry diseases. Keep in mind docs want to be safe, in the end, you will have peace of mind that everything will be all right.

Take care,

#14705 - 07/23/03 03:17 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Oh my gosh, it never ends does it! You must be feeling so frustrated. And don't worry about venting here. That's what we're all here for and sometimes it does you the world of good to vent.

I'm not sure what to advise you, but if it were me I think I'd have the lap done. I know it probably seems annoying and yet another invasive test to take but you'll probably feel easier if you rule it out. And hey, after that what else can they possibly do to you!

Hugs across the ocean,
Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#14729 - 07/23/03 09:09 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Michelle - I'm sorry you keep having a bad run of it lately. Buuuttt - I think you should go for it. You never know, and it's better to be safe than sorry.

And feel free to vent any time....that's what we're here for.

Re: GOOD GRIEF: laparoscopy now?-beaglelover new
      #14731 - 07/23/03 09:17 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Have you explained to your family that they don't have a test that comes back positive for IBS - that it has to be ruled out, that it's not "in your head"? If so, I'm sure they understand. And if not, explain it again. I think sometimes it's hard for the non-IBSers to understand, because they haven't gone through it. So, sometimes it takes repetition to help it sink it - at least I know it does with my friends & family. But, they love me and I just patiently re-explain again. I think a little more sticks each time around.

And yeah, those bills are killer. But, it's for a good cause - your health. I'm sure you could be spending it on worse things. Please don't feel guilty.

Re: Going to do it new
      #14770 - 07/24/03 08:43 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

Thanks for letting me rant and rave. I'm going to get the laparoscopy, which is actually "exploratory surgery", I've since learned, not just a test. But there are reasons to rule out ovarian cancer so now we'll check that off the list, too, and come back to IBS again. For heaven's sake! Now I've scared my husband half to death, what a mess this has turned in to, I didn't mean for any of this to go this far! But the Lord is in control, I didn't pursue any of these tests, and each one has pointed us to SOMETHING... well, thanks for letting me vent, like I said, it is frustrating but necessary.

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Re: Going to do it new
      #14772 - 07/24/03 09:30 AM
busymom

Reged: 06/30/03
Loc: Michigan

Let us know when the surgery is going to be so we can pray for you. I am so glad you have decided to have this test since other lab results are what led your doctor to recommend it. The best outcome would be that they find nothing. It would be a cause for rejoicing if there is no cancer, not just a "Good grief, it IS IBS." IBS is a relief compared to cancer. Many young women get ovarian cancer, but don't have the proper tests because they don't think they could get it because they're young. You have all your sweet kids to consider, and they need a cancer-free mommy. Thanks be to God when the tests we go through come back negative! The Lord will enable you to go through yet another test. "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1672 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3615

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review