All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Neurontin- generic name: gabapentin. Anyone ever tried this to relieve their IBS pain?-nt
      #146334 - 02/03/05 11:19 AM
lithelady

Reged: 08/15/03
Loc: Novato, CA

--------------------
Many years of C-IBS and pain too for past 2 years-

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Neurontin- generic name: gabapentin. Anyone ever tried this to relieve their IBS pain?-nt new
      #146350 - 02/03/05 11:48 AM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

My boyfriend is on this. He has RSD in his left hand. This drug messes with your nervous system - I didn't know it was used to treat IBS? He does find some relief in the pain in his hand, but he is very groggy and out of it all the time. Did your doctor prescribe this for you?

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

Re: Neurontin- generic name: gabapentin. Anyone ever tried this to relieve their IBS pain?-nt new
      #146448 - 02/03/05 04:08 PM
erinb_77

Reged: 11/23/04
Loc: Alberta, Canada

Hi. Neurontin can be used as a method for pain control. If you read literature it is used primarily as anti-seizure medication but the "unlabelled" uses are pain control related. There are side-effects to any medication but I have seen some good results with neurontin. It is worth talking to your doctor to see if it is something for you to try. Good luck

--------------------
Erin

#146538 - 02/03/05 08:17 PM
MissS

Reged: 02/11/04

My husband was on this for a short time for diabetic neuropathy. He didn't do well on it because it very negatively affected his personality. He became very angry and mean while on this drug. It DID help with the pain from the neuropathy, but in his case; it wasn't worth it.

I tried it but it didn't work new
      #146707 - 02/04/05 12:07 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I was on it for chronic pain, but it didn't work, both for the pain and for the IBS. There are a lot of personality side effects associated with this drug, and I wouldn't recommend it as effective against IBS. There are a lot of other good things you can do for the IBS, such as watching your diet, and eliminating physical and emotional stressors that work a lot better. Neurontin by itself wouldn't be especially useful.

Good luck--

~nelly~

Thanks MCV, Erin, TeeCee & Nelly new
      #147322 - 02/06/05 08:03 PM
lithelady

Reged: 08/15/03
Loc: Novato, CA

I appreciate all of your replies very much. I'm actually an MD myself and have been considering testing neurontin on myself at a lower than normal dosage ONLY at bedtime to see whether it helps to relieve my sleep-onset insomnia and/or my low-grade chronic C-IBS pain and distention, which are the causes of my insomnia problem.

I'm still going to try it but it's good to go into this experiment w/ my eyes wide open about the feedback all of you gave me. I'll write more in follow-up after I've been on it a few weeks......if I last that long on it!

--------------------
Many years of C-IBS and pain too for past 2 years-

Re: Thanks MCV, Erin, TeeCee & Nelly new
      #147512 - 02/07/05 11:31 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Good luck, and let us know the results!!

~nelly~

Re: Thanks MCV, Erin, TeeCee & Nelly new
      #147515 - 02/07/05 11:41 AM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

Definitely keep us posted - I'm very interested to know the results!

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

neurontin bad news for Cs new
      #181815 - 05/28/05 08:51 PM
pulse

Reged: 05/24/05
Loc: sw ohio

ONLY one 100 mg dose (the smallest), and the next day i can count on being c. or, possibly, for several days!

it may well help you sleep, but the price is, imo, WAY too high.

hi - i'm new, and likely won't be posting much, but i couldn't let this one get by me.

#181884 - 05/29/05 03:13 PM
AlyssaKaye

Reged: 03/21/05
Loc: USA

I took it (100mg, only at bedtime) off-label for a neurological movement disorder (dystonia). I was ridiculously "drugged". The first time I took it, I was watching TV on a bean bag, and it kicked in, and when the show was over, I couldn't figure out how to stand up, or which way was up!

Let us know how it goes with the IBS--I still have some left--lol. But, be careful, maybe take it once you are already in bed?

--------------------
~~~Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.~~~

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1831 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2225

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review