Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Re: I second Casey - well said! -nt- new
      #145852 - 02/02/05 12:09 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

To augie new
      #145896 - 02/02/05 01:34 PM
taroh73

Reged: 12/28/04
Loc: chicago, il

Hi Beth. I'm sure i'm no different than almost all of the girls (and guys) on this website. I've suffered w/some form of IBS for at least 15 years, but the past 9 or so have been unbearable. I haven't had a life, I don't date much, every single decision is based on how it affects the IBS. I've researched everything, tried everything, read everything and am so sick of doctors saying they can't help. I feel like I have had one of the most stubborn cases of IBS-C around (but i'm sure everyone feels that way). All I can offer you is what has helped me in the past few weeks have more relief than i've had in years. The only SFS I can tolerate is citrucel. I take 1/2 tsp in the morning along with Zelnorm. (I've taken Zelnorm for awhile but it only now has started working w/a soft diet). I've been eating a banana or peeled sweet potatoe for breakfast. I've been now eating a lot of baby food and chicken rice soup for other meals, along with soft bread, and another zelnorm at night. This has worked at untwisting my insides and softening my poop and helping pass it. Not perfect, but worlds better than it has been. Have you tried a very soft mushy diet, and have you tried zelnorm. I know what we all need more than anything is just a mental break. Hang in there.

To everyone who replied new
      #146091 - 02/02/05 08:22 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Thanks for taking the time to read yet one more desperate post about my lack of relief. I am just clueless as to how far I should keep pursuing an answer.

I want to ask each of you individual responses to your posts, but I must go to sleep now, as I am exhausted. Hopefully, tomorrow, I will be able to address each post individually as there are some questions I have for each of you.

thank you for putting up with me. I often worry that you guys are getting so sick of me that pretty soon you all with just start skipping my posts. They are always so Uplifting aren't they!

Please don't leave me alone with this. I need you guys so much. I'm sorry. I wish I could start posting some more positive posts. But, this is where I'm at still. In a bad way. Okay, time for bed.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

No one will desert you! new
      #146106 - 02/02/05 09:38 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

Beth. I'll certainly be here for you as long as you need support (even if I can't offer much advice). I always keep an eye out for your posts. Like you've said before we always seem to be on some sort of a level playing field. Big hugs. Talk to you when you've had some rest.

--------------------
Amy

Did the doctors diagnose you with IBS new
      #146502 - 02/03/05 06:25 PM
Augie

Or are you just assuming you have it because everything came back negative?

--------------------
~ Beth

I can't hear my body! new
      #146504 - 02/03/05 06:34 PM
Augie

I'm listening, but all I hear is "I hurt, help me". But I don't know how to do that. I'm not even sure I have IBS. Were you diagnosed with IBS or are you assuming it's IBS? When you said "been there, done that" did you mean that you also were thinking you had something besides IBS? How did you come to the resolution that it was IBS?

I know my obsession is causing incredible stress which is bad for my tummy, but I am devoted to trying to find some answers and some relief so that I can have some quality of life left.

BTW, do you take 2 teaspoons of Acacia before each meal or 2 Tablespoons?

--------------------
~ Beth

Were you officially diagnosed new
      #146506 - 02/03/05 06:37 PM
Augie

with IBS? No, I haven't tried miralax yet. I was hoping that I could find a reason for all this that could actually be fixed. How do I give that hope up?

What made you give it up, the search that is?

--------------------
~ Beth

Thank you for your prayers Angela new
      #146508 - 02/03/05 06:50 PM
Augie

As I said earlier, I can't hear what my body is saying. It just says "I hurt, help me".

I'm glad this diet and acacia has helped you. And I wasn't aware that you were reading my posts. Sorry if I dampen your spirits. I actually asked Casey if maybe I should stop posting because I am always so "desparate" and bringing people down and not a very good representative for the Eating for IBS diet! Was afraid I could actually get evicted.

Have you been officially diagnosed with IBS or did you just assume because of your symptoms?

Any suggestions on how to find a doctor who will listen to me? I had an appointment with my GI doc today and he was so crabby and frustrated. He told me how upset he was with me and I just started crying in his office. I don't think I should be afraid to ask him questions. And after 5 years of writing IBS in my chart all of a sudden he tells me he doesn't think I have IBS, but doesn't give any advice on what to take or eat or do to help whatever I do have.
UGH! I know he cares about me. He has given me free meds, did an endoscopy on me for free because I had no insurance, never charges me for appointments, but he isn't helping me either. I don't want to hurt his feelings by going to another doctor. The one who was recommended happens to be right across the reception desk from him!

Oh I gave you more info than you wanted. Guess I'm just rambling. But thank you for your prayers Angela. That means a lot. I hope you don't think you have wasted your time answering my posts. BTW, what exactly do you do to manage your symptoms now?

--------------------
~ Beth

Oh, Casey new
      #146528 - 02/03/05 07:48 PM
Augie

I know you must be frustrated with me. I'm trying what you said, honestly.

If you read the posts I made above, it addresses a lot of questions you asked. Yes, I just started back on the lexapro, but I think I emailed you about that already.

I know there isn't a cure for IBS. I'm not searching for that, believe me! I know it can only be "managed". What I'm searching for is anything else this could possibly be in hopes that there will be a cure for that.

To make me even more confused, my GI doc today told me he doesn't think I have IBS! This is after 10 years of my old internal med doc and my old GI doc telling me I did! He offered no other diagnosis, no advice, just leaves me frustrated and in tears from this ambiguety! He was tired and crabby as I saw him after a long day and he was not very empathetic or patient. I wouldn't even know how to find a good GI doc, and hate the thought of going through all the pains of reiterating my whole story to another doctor, getting med records sent from my 2 previous GI docs. which brings up another confusion! One GI says I have IBS and no Celiac, and the other says I don't have IBS now and I do have to be Gluten Free! Two totally different conclusions in the same year. See how I am so stressed and confused and just wanting some definitive answer? I hate doctors. I really do. How can I get two opposite responses from to GI docs? What did they get there degrees in? Like the weather people. Do they just guess? That's reassuring isn't it.

Casey, did you have a doctor diagnose you with IBS? Do you wonder if it might be something else? But then you have had success with this diet, so that's pretty convincing.

Thanks for the little pep talk. Yes, I have tried new foods And thanks for realizing that the GF thing is tough. It is tough because I can't make Heather's breads or eat oatmeal or luna bars which have become stables for so many. NOt to mention a fricken loaf of 13 pieces of GF bread cost me 7 bucks! I'm trying to substitute microwaved sweet potatoes or boiled potato and lentils with carrots in place of sandwiches for lunch.

Anyhow, I need to email you this weekend. I need to let you know about my frustrating GI doc. He has totally turned my life for a loop here! For 10 years I've been told by others and him in the past that I have IBS. Was he just in a bad mood and frustrated so he changed his mind. He is very moody and if you catch him on an off day, he get's cranky and doesn't listen or spits out something he might not mean. I will call him Tuesday when he is in (and hopefully in a better mood) and ask him again what he meant. I think it is time for another doctor to break the tie between the two different diagnoses!

Now that I'm thinking about it, I did see another GI doc and she also thought it was a motility problem. Is that the same as IBS? Another doc who had no bed side manner and made me feel like I was wasting her time with just having this silly condition and not something more serious like crohns or colitis.

Okay, the rest in an email.

Thanks for your support, sweet Casey. You know how I feel about you. And what you said in your post on what you are proud about yourself today, right on! I second all that.

--------------------
~ Beth

We are two peas in a pod new
      #146530 - 02/03/05 07:53 PM
Augie

I think you have the right idea to stop surfing the web and putting your trust in a doctor you trust and who is caring and who listens to you.

If I could find one, I would do the same. How do you find a doctor who you trust and who listens to you and doesn't make you feel stupid? And who can actually help you?

Amy, I love you for the support you always provide. That means more than I can ever tell you! Support from the boards keeps me going. But the contradictory advice stresses me out more. So what is one to do?

--------------------
~ Beth

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 269 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8093

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review