All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
red meat!!!!! miss it? I have an answer for you!!!!!!!!
      #145275 - 02/01/05 12:36 PM
jennifercindrich

Reged: 02/01/05

I am an IBS sufferer and I love my red meat. For the last year I have tried something new. Buffalo meat!!! It worked so well for me I bought half a buffalo. Buffalo is a wonderful meat and very tasty.
buffalo meat- fat per 100 grams of cooked meat = 2.42
chicken - fat per 100 grams of cooked meat = 7.41
beef -" " = 9.28
pork - " " = 9.66
To me this was wonderful news. It is also higher in protein than chicken or fish. the kansas buffalo association has a great cookbook and other links.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Is buffalomeat safe? new
      #145277 - 02/01/05 12:42 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

I didn't think it was, something to do with the type of protein...can anyone answer this?

--------------------
S.

Buffalo meat new
      #145278 - 02/01/05 12:45 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Even though buffalo is low in fat it is still red meat- like eating a very lean piece of beef (this applies to venison and elk as well). So it is still hard to digest. I actually had 1 bite of the stuff last week but knew instinctively that any more would have me backed up and churning.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Is buffalomeat safe? new
      #145280 - 02/01/05 12:48 PM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

no buffalo meat is not safe!! Yikes!!! I can't even imagine what would happen to me if I ate that stuff!!

#145281 - 02/01/05 12:49 PM
jennifercindrich

It is perfectly safe. I buy my meat from a farm in kansas.http://www.farmkansas.com/bison.html it comes out to be safer than cow meat since they are grass fed only. You would have to know the details of a buffalo farm near you but most beef cows are injected with hormones of some type...but the buffalo meat I buy is basically organic. And you can really taste the difference.

Jennifer new
      #145285 - 02/01/05 12:53 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

"Safe" used here at this site means foods that will not cause a negative gastric response. Red meat, whether lean or fatty is difficult to digest - for everyone, but IBS sufferers have to stay away from things that are difficult to digest (it would be called unsafe). BTW welcome. I hope the comments here will be beneficial if you have IBS.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#145286 - 02/01/05 12:53 PM
jennifercindrich

not safe? how's that?

#145288 - 02/01/05 12:55 PM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Because it is red meat and red meat is not safe no matter how low the fat content or how "natural" it is.

#145292 - 02/01/05 12:59 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Hi Jennifer, welcome to the boards *hugs*

I hear your argument. However...if you have IBS, chances are red meat is tough to digest of any variety.

Of course, there are exceptions to the rule and we all need to figure out what works for us.

There are many people in general that find organic and grass fed animals are just all-around healthier...and I can def. agree with you there! In terms of an IBS digestive tracht...many people find they just do better without meat. Thank G-d for soy meat and meat substitutes (And dairy too!)

In any case, thanks for sharing this info. with us! I'm glad you found something that works for you *hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: red meat!!!!! miss it? I have an answer for you!!!!!!!! new
      #145295 - 02/01/05 01:08 PM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Red meat is not safe because of the amount of animal proteins that are found in it. Even though buffalo meat may be leaner than regular red meat, it still has the high levels of animal proteins which can cause trouble for us IBSers.

--------------------
- Jennifer

Edited by Jennifer Rose (02/01/05 01:17 PM)

Re: red meat!!!!! miss it? I have an answer for you!!!!!!!! new
      #145307 - 02/01/05 01:39 PM
stevensa

Reged: 09/12/04
Loc: Texas

I've never tried buffalo, but since I can tolerate beef pretty well it might be a better choice (don't know about the price, though). Ahhh a nice big, juicy (read RARE) steak sounds good about now! BTW it is considered blasphemy to condemn beef in Texas!

Please note what Tamara said... new
      #145314 - 02/01/05 02:03 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...buffalo meat is only a substitute if you are especially tolerant of red-meat protein, where ONLY the fat content of, say, beef, would be a problem. Otherwise, it is NOT a safe food and should be treated with caution - although it will be saf-ER than beef if you HAVE to eat something red.

Fraud Warning! new
      #145516 - 02/01/05 11:43 PM
manofmayo

Reged: 01/18/05
Loc: Everett, WA USA

When ever I see a newbee (1st post, w/ 3 total in this thread) make an outlandish claim like the original poster did....I think, WATCH OUT, they are trying to sell something!

Either this person works for the Kansas Buffalo Association, owns a Buffalo farm or knows someone in the industry.

I hope no one really believes her BS. It almost sounds like an infomercial.

LOL Stevensa!! I love me my red meat too!! -nt- new
      #145626 - 02/02/05 07:29 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

~nelly~

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 948 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2006

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review