All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Stimulant??
      #145240 - 02/01/05 10:17 AM
BetterLife

Reged: 01/30/05
Loc: CA, USA

I used to drink coffee in the morning and found that it helped my C sometimes. Since I've read that it gives a short term gratification, but may worsen C, I decided to give it up. Fiber alone doesn't seem to help the push I need. Anyone have suggestions for non-irritant or no long term harming stimulant that I could use everyday? I feel that my BM still needs that push to get it out before it clumps up. Thanks.

--------------------
BetterLife

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Stimulant?? new
      #145246 - 02/01/05 10:27 AM
bellshel32

Reged: 10/28/04
Loc: Kansas, USA

I feel the same way if I'm not on a medication like Zelnorm or Miralax. Fiber alone just doesn't do enough for me. Right now I'm taking Miralax daily. Have you ever tried it? You do have to get a prescription for it.

ps I used to drink coffee too (still do on occasion). It would sometimes make me have a bm, but usually didn't. Now that I've been on Heather's diet, I notice that I tend to get a tummy ache after drinking coffee (but no bm).

#145289 - 02/01/05 12:55 PM
taroh73

Reged: 12/28/04
Loc: chicago, il

I am in exaclty the same boat........ I need that first cup of coffee to have a bm, and I get such relief from it that I can't imagine giving it up!

#145290 - 02/01/05 12:57 PM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Follow the diet, take a soluble fibre supplement like acacia, metamucil, etc. , drink LOTS of water and get some exercise daily and you will find your C gets alot better!!

How about more IF?... new
      #145318 - 02/01/05 02:10 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...safely of course? What about blueberries with morning oatmeal...or raisins. Relying on stimulants is very bad.

Re: How about more IF?... new
      #145336 - 02/01/05 02:46 PM
BetterLife

Linz, what is IF?? And will prune juice help? What else works besides stimulants and something safe to drink everyday? I need something stronger than just a few blueberries or raisins. Thanks.

--------------------
BetterLife

#145344 - 02/01/05 03:02 PM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

IF = insoluble fibre.

#145349 - 02/01/05 03:16 PM
BetterLife

Linz...How does IF help with the situation??? And doesn't that go against Heather's theories? I don't understand. I have noticed that SF does bulk up too much and make it more difficult for me to go.

--------------------
BetterLife

#145513 - 02/01/05 10:13 PM
Taylahmai

Reged: 11/03/04
Loc: Western Australia

Betterlife, I stopped eating fruit and veges when I first started Heathers diet because of the whole IF theory. However I became so C it was horrible! I really need a daily dose of fruit and veg, and luckily for me skin, skin off, raw or cooked, it doesn't really affect me either way. Cooked however seems to sit better in my tummy (I suffer from really bad bloating). Its a matter of finding out how much, and what sort of, fruit and veges work best for you. As for how IF helps people with C, I suppose its because we need the bulk to get our bowels working, as well as the vitamins and minerals (magnesium levels are directly linked to BMs)?

Heather's theory isn't to stop eating fruit and veg but to make sure you combine it with some soluble fibre like rice or pasta, or solube fibre fruit and veges. I find combining bananas and mango with other IF fruit works well, as does rice flakes cooked with rice milk and stewed fruit like nectarines. Combining sweet potatoe or pumpkin with other IF veges works well too. The thing to remember is that it takes a while for your BMs to respond to diet. Try increasing your fruit and vege intake for a week or so and see what happens.

As for SFS, I don't take one because I don't really need it, and when I did take one I got terribly bloated and gassy. I prefer to get my soluble fibre from food. But thats just me, I don't like relying on supplements, and in contrast LOTS of people benefit tremendously from SFS. The thing to remember is you really need to make sure you drink enough water, otherwise the SFS will only make you more C. I would suggest at least 2 - 3 litres a day or you're only going to make the C situation worse.

As for other supplements..... I hate the thought of relying on a concoction of supplements for life. Magnesium is the only one I use. I've tried aloe vera, and digestezy, which turned out to another laxative, but am very concerned about my body devloping a reliance on these things to go. For me, diet and lifestyle are much more sustainable ways of managing C.

But again everyones needs are different. If you do a search on supplements for C you should come up with a few ideas. Sometimes our systems just need a kick start, while we are improving our diet.

Good luck, let me know how you go

--------------------
~ Live life, don't let life live you ~

Been there, done that..... new
      #145633 - 02/02/05 07:39 AM
bellshel32

Doctors have told me my whole life to "add more fiber" which I've done & continue to do. It simply hasn't worked for me. I do the oatmeal thing, fruit smoothies, etc, etc. That's why my doctors have recommended Miralax or Zelnorm in addition to SFS and IF.

I know it's hard for some people to understand (especially those who haven't been completely C their whole life), but that's okay. I'm totally used to it.

#145634 - 02/02/05 07:42 AM
bellshel32

I agree with you that just bluberries and raisins don't cut it. You could try the prune juice. Prunes and prune juice just give me gas-- no bm's. But they do work for some people.

#145640 - 02/02/05 07:51 AM
Linz

All of us need to incorporate IF into our diets for health reasons, but it's especially important if you are C.

Magnesium?? new
      #145781 - 02/02/05 10:33 AM
ptillen

Reged: 06/27/04
Loc: Milwaukee WI

I'm kinda confused about magnesium intake. I was under the impression that it's not a beneficial thing, it's in fact a stimulant that can cause dependance.
Can anyone clarify? Does it have to do with the amount taken?? Or what???

#145814 - 02/02/05 11:07 AM
BetterLife

Thanks so much for your helpful tips. I have taken and am taking magnesium as well as SFS, about 6-8 grams a day. It worked well in the beginning, then I slowly started to become C again. Not thinking of increasing the SFS, I went back to Heather's website and decided to make my diet a LOT more SF where as my diet before was much more IF. I was more C than before. I wasn't sure what I needed to change, what to increase or decrease, etc.. Also, coffee helped me a lot to be able to go in the morning, even though I was taking a lot of FS. When I stopped drinking coffee, there was no urge. How much magnesium do you take a day and how do you take them? I took them morning (500mg) and night (500mg). I don't really feel the effect if there is or not. And I noticed that when I take more than 2pills (500mg) at once, I get bloated. What sort of fruits work for you? I haven't noticed which works for me yet. For a while, I've been eating a lot of melons, apples, and sometimes strawberries. And also, sometimes I react really badly to the food I eat and can't figure out why. For example, when I had some chilli one night, I didn't react. (it wasn't a large sum) And then another day, I had some sort of chilli soup(??) and didn't know it was because it looked like vegetable soup but it was sorta oily and had chilli pepper and beans in them. I didn't eat that much of it either and thought that eating real chilli should have been worse?!?! But I was so bloated and constipated for 3 days...still am. I'm always trying to watch what I eat and stick to lowfat, good balanced meals...I still react. Any suggestions to anything above would be great. Thanks a lot.

--------------------
BetterLife

to betterlife regarding if/sf new
      #145897 - 02/02/05 01:48 PM
taroh73

Hi! I am also a very stubborn C- and I am one of those people that finds the more IF (fruits, veggies) I eat, the more constipated I get. Makes no sense, but there it is. I have taken to eating a lot of bananas, mangoes and taters, and I eat babyfood spinach, greenbeans, squash, to get some other vitamins. If you are really sensitive like me, I suggest trying the babyfood. I need a really soft diet to keep my bowels moving, but it has really helped. I suggest if the IF fruits and veg aren't helping, really try eliminating them for awhile. I has been amazing for me, along with Zelnorm and Citrucel. Good luck!

Thanks Taroh73 but... new
      #145932 - 02/02/05 02:43 PM
BetterLife

Thanks Taroh for your advice. I'm confused as to where my problem lies because when I started taking SFS, I was very regular, even though I was eating low SF and lots of fruits and veggies. Then I suddenly became irregular and became C again. So I thought maybe it was the low SF so I ate lots of them along with IF. I became more C. I don't know exactly what my problem is.

--------------------
BetterLife

Re: Thanks Taroh73 but... new
      #145938 - 02/02/05 02:55 PM
taroh73

Have you tried temporarily eliminating all IF and just using the SF. I know how horrible it is to be so C... i've been there most of my adult life and have wanted to die from the physical agony of it. I'm so sorry you feel lousy. If you are in major discomfort it might be okay to use a gentle lax just to get a little relief.

It's a good idea... new
      #146212 - 02/03/05 07:48 AM
Linz

...to try JUST SF for a few days - this is Heather's breaking the cycle diet. Sometimes it's necessary to "reset" your digestive system before you start again with the veggies, etc.

Betterlife, finally back! new
      #147335 - 02/06/05 09:13 PM
Taylahmai

Hi Betterlife, finally back online

Well it can be so frusturating when you can't work out what you should and shouldn't be doing with your diet. Believe me, I can sympathise there! I guess I just try and eat what is typically a 'healthy' diet. For example I try and have 2 fruit and 5 veg (do you have that campaign in the US?? maybe its just an Australian thing) every day. Along with at least one serve of rice, if not 2 or 3. So an example of my daily food intake would look like: brekkie - rice flakes cooked in rice milk with stewed strawberries and nectarines; lunch - tuna, tomato, avocado and spinach sandwich on rice bread; dinner - chicken, zucchini, pumpkin and carrot cooked in stock & served with brown rice. What fruit and veges you are able to have is an individual thing so requires a bit of experimenting. I try and have a real variety in the food I eat (eg always cook something different every day), as well as a variety in the fruit and veges I eat, and the way I eat them. I think if we starve our systems of variety we will end up not being able to tolerate much at all in the long run.

Now fruit and veg I don't eat: I've been told you should only eat melons on their own, and only after meals. I eat a lot of peaches, nectarines, apricots, mangoes and bananas. I eat small amounts of berries, apples and grapes and NO citrus fruits. Veges I don't eat include cucumber, cabbage and cauliflower. I am careful with nightshade veges such as tomato, capsicum and potato. I eat lots of spinach, sweet potato, pumpkin, beetroot, zucchini, broccoli.

This works for me, but again its an individual thing.

Now as for the magnesium, I take 2 tablets in the morning and 1 at night of a supplement that contains 500mg mag chloride, 380mg mag oxide and 100mg of mag amino acid chelate. The total elemental magnesium is 309mg per tablet. This works marvels for me, but I have heard people are hesitant about magnesium. As far as I'm concerned, if I have to take magnesium for the rest of my life because I'm dependent on it then so be it if it means I have daily BMs! I believe taking magnesium is so much better for you then relying on laxatives and harsh stimulants. You say you get bloated after taking 2 pills of mag? I haven't noticed anything like that, perhaps you should try spacing them out more?

Yet while I have reliable BMs it doesn't mean I know what my trigger foods are. I can get bloated at the drop of a hat and it won't matter what I've eaten. I went and saw my allergist today and he seems to think maybe my liver is affecting my bloating. So I'm taking a liver supplement and hopefully will see some improvement..... fingers crossed!

So much more to say, perhaps I'll send you an email? Please let me know if there's any questions I didn't answer for you.

Take care

T xx

--------------------

Taylahmai - liver probs! new
      #147525 - 02/07/05 12:30 PM
nikjones_uk

Reged: 01/04/05

Hiya - I just read your post and you mention something about your allergist telling you that your liver may be affecting your bloating? I suffer with pain in my back when I have an attack, esp bloating and can't really describe why, as none of your digestive stuff is in that part of your body is it? Did he/she explain a bit more about that - I'd love to hear? Hope to hear back from ya! Nik xx

Back pain... new
      #147526 - 02/07/05 12:33 PM
Linz

...is pretty common with IBS - your digestive organs fill you front to back!

Re: Betterlife, finally back! new
      #147533 - 02/07/05 12:40 PM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

Always interested in what helps other C's. I take the cal/mag supplement in the 2:1 ratio, and I do have to be careful not to get too heavy handed with the Calcium. Veggies/Fruits are sooo individual! I have to have them though, and the if I have some IF with each meal, what a difference! I can tell a huge difference when I leave it off. Thanks for all the info!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

#147542 - 02/07/05 12:56 PM
suarez

Reged: 11/19/04
Loc: ILLINOIS

When you state you have pumpkin with your supper how are
you preparing it? I have only really had it in pumpkin
pie around the holidays.

Thanks

Suarez new
      #147605 - 02/07/05 05:20 PM
Taylahmai

Hi saurez. I just chop the pumpkin into squares and either steam it with my other veges or roast it in the oven with a little bit of oil. Yummm, I love pumpkin, and the best thing is I have no problems whatsoever with it

--------------------

Hamster :) new
      #147610 - 02/07/05 05:45 PM
Taylahmai

Hi Hamster I have pretty constant back pain, which doesn't seem to get better or worse come bloat time (I have a curved spine). As for the liver perhaps affecting my bloating, well I'm always overwhelmed by info when I see my allergist, so here goes:

My understanding is that the liver produces enzymes that aid in metabolism of food, and the liver also is directly linked with the bodies ability to digest food. If your liver is sluggish, two signs of that is abdominal bloating and poor digestion.

I guess its explained by all our organs being linked, and the liver being the most important organ for wellbeing. If you have a sluggish/ toxified liver you will have problems with digestion, hence gas and bloating. I can't find any other reason for my constant bloat, which is there regardless of whether or what I eat, so I'm certain there must be more to it.

I'll let you know if I come up with anything more

--------------------

Hi Bamagirl new
      #147612 - 02/07/05 06:01 PM
Taylahmai

When I was taking a cal/ mag supplement the cal ended up inhibiting the mag uptake. So I got terribly C again. I switched to a mag only supplement and haven't looked back

And by the way its always a pleasure to share my experiences

--------------------

Questions new
      #147614 - 02/07/05 06:09 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

What liver supplement are you taking?

Is your rice bread brown rice or white rice based? What brand do you buy?

So you take a total of about 900mg total magnesium for the day? It's hard to calculate since all the individual types you listed all had more than that combined (990mg)! So I'm sort of confused at your daily total mg intake? I take 2 a day for a total of 400mg. I'm not sure what you mean by "elemental"?

Do you only eat brown rice or do you also eat white rice? Do you think there is much difference for the BM's. I know brown rice is an insoluble and so it was recommended not to use this as a base for the veggies. That only white rice could be a "buffer" base for insoluble veggies.

BTW, WELCOME BACK! Where were you?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Questions new
      #147617 - 02/07/05 06:27 PM
Taylahmai

Hi Beth, I have been a busy little girl lately

Magnesium comes in many different forms - such as the ones I listed - but not all magnesium can be utilised by the body. Each tablet I take has 980 mg of 'raw' magnesium but 309 mg of elemental magnesium, meaning 309 mg of magnesium that can be directly absorbed by the body. Sorry if this doesn't make sense. Maybe someone else can explain it a little better.

I eat both white and brown rice as my bf isn't real keen on brown so we compromise I can happily eat either white or brown, but I prefer to eat brown as its much better for BMs. I know brown rice is IF so I usually make sure I have pumpkin or sweet potato with my other veggies. Yet even though its an IF I have no problem with bloating?? But wholemeal anything else is awful. Kinda strange, I think rice is very different to other grains in this respect.

You sound like you've been having a rough time lately. Feeling any better?

--------------------

Questions new
      #147619 - 02/07/05 06:42 PM
Augie

Hey, thanks. Not sure I understand the magnesium thing but what's ya going to do?

You didn't mention what type of rice bread you eat, the brown or white or what brand?

Yeah, I'm still struggling. I'm sure everyone is pretty sick of me. Thanks for asking. I just ate brown rice and spinach so my tummy is hurting. Too much IF with no SF to buffer. I'll have to remember what you said about having Brown rice with solubable veggies. That might help.

--------------------
~ Beth

PS new
      #147620 - 02/07/05 06:44 PM
Augie

I can't believe how well you are doing!!!I want to go to your naturopath!!! I wouldn't even know how to find one who I knew was reputable. I would probably end up with a quack!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Questions new
      #147621 - 02/07/05 06:46 PM
Taylahmai

Oh sorry, I make my own rice bread and I use white rice flour as I can't seem to find any bread mix with brown rice flour. We do have a couple of brands that make rice bread here in Australia, but they're hard as rocks so I prefer to make my own.

--------------------

Re: PS new
      #147624 - 02/07/05 06:55 PM
Taylahmai

Well I can't really believe it either! It sure don't feel like my bowels are 100%, but I reckon I'm pretty close. BMs are pretty stable, its just the gurgling, gas and bloating that I'm struggling with still. Oh I didn't say what liver detox I'm taking. I use 'pharma liv' (well starting today....) Can't say much about it yet of course!

--------------------

Taylahmai new
      #147626 - 02/07/05 07:14 PM
Augie

Just a thought. I know you are still having bloating and gas. Did you get tested for soy milk? I know soy is a problem for many and they need to stick to rice milk.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Taylahmai new
      #147628 - 02/07/05 07:19 PM
Taylahmai

Yep I do get tested for soy, and up until yesterday the tests showed I was intolerant. But apparently now its okay for me to give it a go. I reaaallly miss my yoghurt so am so happy about being able to give soy a go. Am going to take it slow as I know many people are intolerant of soy and my allergist has warned me about introducing foods too quickly. I was so worried about remaining dairy and soy intolerant - urghhh that would be tough!

How do you go with soy?

--------------------

Re: Hamster :) new
      #147655 - 02/07/05 11:59 PM
nikjones_uk

Hiya - thanks for the info - thats pretty interesting, as I find if I drink more than 2 litres of water a day I don't feel as bloated etc. As Linz says, I guess the digestion is going on front to back, but I do get pain in one area quite a bit and I believe its where my liver lives! I'm going to do lots of water today and hopefully flush myself out!!! Thanks loads and loads for your advice! xx

#147656 - 02/08/05 12:08 AM
Taylahmai

No problemo, its my pleasure to help out I try and drink lots of water as well, but I often find I get bloated because my bladder is always so full! Haa haaa. I'll let you know how my liver cleanse supplements work out - can't remember whats in them but could let you know if you're interested. I think sometimes we all forget how holistic our bodies are and that all organs have the ability to affect us with similar symptoms.

T xxx

--------------------

#147674 - 02/08/05 04:49 AM
nikjones_uk

Cool - please let me know how you go with the cleansing! Would be really interested to find out - hope all goes well and as Ruchie says **hugs**!! x

Hi T! new
      #147877 - 02/08/05 03:10 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I am quite interested, if you don't mind,in what is in your liver supplement. Sounds like your allergist is pretty knowledgeable...thanks for all this info. Hope the supplement helps you *hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: to betterlife regarding if/sf new
      #147908 - 02/08/05 04:22 PM
RobinV

Reged: 01/08/05
Loc: wayne,pa

Taroh,

I have the same problem with C. I'm at the point I don't know what to eat anymore to keep things moving. Do you really think the zelnorm helps? I don't.

#147912 - 02/08/05 04:29 PM
RobinV

Reged: 01/08/05
Loc: wayne,pa

Is milk of magnesium the same of what you are taking? I hate taking milk of mag. I did take 2 T. last nite because I was desparate. So far nothing, and I have been taking miralax again. I also can get bloated at the drop of the hat, and I'm not really sure what my trigger foods are except for cheeses. That really C me.

Re: to betterlife regarding if/sf new
      #147919 - 02/08/05 04:46 PM
BetterLife

OMG, I know what you mean. I am at the same point where I don't know what to eat anymore. Zelnorm initially helped A LOT. It was as if it was a miracle. But it started to ware off, as do a lot of precriptive drugs because your body relies on them. I'm trying to find a method to help me naturally. Sorry, I want to be of help but I don't even know how to help myself right now. Best wishes.

--------------------
BetterLife

To Robin V re:zelnorm new
      #147921 - 02/08/05 04:51 PM
taroh73

The zelnorm has only started working for me since I eliminated most of the IF from my diet and have focused on SF. I also take citrucel and that seems to help. On a regular diet, the Zelnorm was pretty ineffective.

Hi Ruchie new
      #148012 - 02/09/05 12:03 AM
Taylahmai

Of course I don't mind Its a herbal supplement designed especially for the liver, ie all the vitamins and minerals that promote a healthy liver. Off the top of my head I don't remember the ingredients so will have a look tonight and let you know. I only started taking it yesterday so nothing to report yet. I'm really hoping it helps get rid of the bloat, because nothing else seems to help!

And yep my allergist is very knowledgeable. I owe him my health as I was really sick when I first went to see him.

--------------------

Robin new
      #148013 - 02/09/05 12:14 AM
Taylahmai

Noooope, milk of magnesia is magnesium citrate, and apparently a really harsh laxative. I've never tried milk of mag, but apparently if you reaaallly need to go, it'll do the job. The forms I take are safe to take on a daily basis.

As for bloat, I don't think I've spoken to anyone who has been able to pinpoint their triggers. My problem at the moment is I'm bloated 24/ 7 and I'm only eating 'safe' foods. So I'm stumped. What more can I do!!

--------------------

#148074 - 02/09/05 06:37 AM
puffybelly

Reged: 02/04/05

I too believe that coffee helps me go but quit drinking it a year ago. I managed to quit with only one headache and some fatigue but it's worth it. I sleep so much better!

I drink herbal tea and use Stevia-Plus every morning. It helps keep me regular to say the least. Stevia-Plus is a natural sweetener with fiber added to it. It is perfectly safe for IBS. You can buy Stevi-Plus in the natural food section of your grocery store.

If I eat more than usual, I will use two packets a day...otherwise I use only one a day.

I hope this helps.

--------------------
"puffy"

Re: Hi Ruchie new
      #148098 - 02/09/05 07:53 AM
Snow for Sarala

Thanks T! That would be great! Also, what's the name of the product? I really hope this helps with your bloating!

Btw, I read that red tea is good for the liver? Have you ever heard this? I also heard milk thistle is. I'm curious to know if either of these things is in your supplement?

Thanks again *hugs*

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Hi Bamagirl new
      #148116 - 02/09/05 08:32 AM
bamagirl

Did not know this!! And I just bought more cal/mag! Perhaps I just need to take the mag too. Might try that approach next. I apparently need the calcium though, because it sure does help me sleep better, and I was having major issues with sleep before that! Thanks again! This C problem takes a lot of thought and planning doesn't it?!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

#148167 - 02/09/05 10:59 AM
BetterLife

Wow, never heard of it. Does it work like coffee in your opinion?? What is the product's intention exactly? Thank you so much for the info. Will check it out.

--------------------
BetterLife

Taylahmai new
      #148193 - 02/09/05 11:42 AM
BetterLife

I'm sorry you have a constant bloat these days! I know the pain! I used to be very bloated and have cramps in my stomach when I ate. Sometimes bloating without cramps or pains. But I know that bloating is not always caused by foods but bacteria, or too much of them. It sounds like the way you eat and what you're eating is not the cause right now. Once when I saw a Gastroenterologist, I took a bacteria level test and showed that I had too much of them. He gave me antibiotics and that helped a lot. I'm not an expert, nor can I explain things well, but I think once you've gotten rid of what's causing the bloat, you'll be fine. Are you drinking any fennel teas? I don't know if that's going to help you at all, but just a thought. I sympathize your discomfort.

--------------------
BetterLife

Stevia-Plus new
      #148210 - 02/09/05 12:27 PM
puffybelly

It is a natural sweetner with fiber in it and I discovered it accidentally when traveling. I bought some at a health food store, went on a trip...ate anything I wanted to include omelets, cheesecake, baked brie..anything I saw! I had no "C" and I always get "C" when I travel! The one constant was that I used the stevia-plus in my tea every morning and I was "going" more than once a day.

To this day I have one envelope in my tea every morning. I am not a big eater but when I eat more than usual I do so it keeps the flow going. It has been a blessing for me.

--------------------
"puffy"

Re: Stevia-Plus new
      #148220 - 02/09/05 12:52 PM
bellshel32

I recently got some samples (about 10 packets) of Stevia-Plus from a local health food store. I didn't use it every day, but did like the way it sweetened. But I noticed no difference in my C.

I'm thinking I'll still buy some because it seems like a good thing to use.

Re: To Robin V re:zelnorm new
      #148266 - 02/09/05 02:10 PM
LittleFox

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: California

Isn't Zelnorm for "Temporary Use Only".

Lene

--------------------
God never promised life would be easy, but he did promise to provide a way out!

Re: Stevia-Plus new
      #148271 - 02/09/05 02:27 PM
puffybelly

Unfortunately none of our "guts" are the same...it works wonders for me. I use it every day. Good luck!

--------------------
"puffy"

Ruchie - Pharma Liv new
      #148350 - 02/09/05 06:05 PM
Taylahmai

Hi Ruchie. The supplement is called Pharma Liv, but I'm not sure that you can get it in the US. Most of the ingredients I can barely pronounce!! Each tablet contains cyanocobalamin, folic acid, glycine, choline bitartrate and inositil.

So what do you mean by red tea? I drink lots of green tea, as well as our faithful peppermint and fennel tea. I have heard that milk thistle is good for the liver, but no, the supplement doesn't contain it.

Will let you know how I go with it anyway. My next appointment with my allergist is Feb 28 so he'll be able to tell me whether my liver is improving

And fingers crossed I see some improvement in the bloating before then!

Take care

T xx

--------------------

#148357 - 02/09/05 06:32 PM
Taylahmai

Well I need my calcium too of course, so I take it at a different time to my magnesium. Yeesh, I know what you mean about this all being very difficult!! Funny you say calcium helps you sleep..... when I was on my cal/ mag supplement I started sleeping like a baby (I used to suffer really bad insomnia) but since switching to 100 % mag I've noticed the insomnia creeping back a bit. How about that! Perhaps I'll up the amount of calcium I take and see if it makes a difference. Well you really do learn something new every day!

As for the cal inhibiting mag uptake, its interesting, because most mag supplements have cal in them!? As if life wasn't hard enough to understand as it is!! So do you still have problems with C or are your BMs improving with the mag? Mine improved dramatically when I started mag/cal, probiotics & digestive enzymes, but them I started getting really C again, after a couple of months. But the problem was this was when I was just starting Heathers diet so was cutting out veges and was trying wheat again (urghhhh). So I think it was a combination of the cal inhibiting the mag uptake, plus changing my diet. Nevertheless, when I changed to straight mag, my bowel problems cleared up within days.

I don't know, too hard! Give it a try anyhow, let me know if you notice any difference.

Luv T xx

--------------------

Thanx Betterlife :) new
      #148359 - 02/09/05 06:45 PM
Taylahmai

Thanx Betterlife for your kind words And its so funny you should mention bacteria! I saw a continence nurse recently (specialises in bowel and urinary problems) who seemed to think my problem was too much bacteria! Apparently those with senstive digestive systems can't tolerate the same amount of bacteria in their gut as 'normal' people. The bacteria breed and accumlate in pockets of inflamed intestines and let out heaps of methane. Hence the horrible gas! She suggested I really concentrate on hygiene - bleaching cutting boards used for meat, only keep leftovers for 1 day, never leave food out and don't eat from places that have food on display (where flies can get to it etc or that arent' kept cold enough). It was really interesting speaking with her, and I've been following her recommendations for a week or so now. The bloat is still there, but the gas has actually gone done considerably, and there was a while there where I was farting like a steam train! So perhaps she was right!

The problem is, at the moment I don't feel like my bloat is gas related, it often isn't.... so while I might clear up the bacteria problem, I'm still left pondering what the bloat is caused by when its not gas.... I know my period causes lots of fluid retention, but thats been and gone...

I'm actually going to see my doctor next week for a pap test and to discuss what other tests I could have to rule out any non digestion related causes for bloating. Also, if my allergist is correct, the liver supplement might help.

One day soon I'm determined to be bloat free! I keep telling myself that!!

I hope you're feeling better, have you had any luck with the help you've been receiving on the boards?

Luv T xx

PS I do drink fennel tea, but it doesn't do much for me.

--------------------

Red tea for your liver?! new
      #148398 - 02/09/05 09:37 PM
Snow for Sarala

Thanks T!

I read on the Celestial Seasonings website that Rooibus or Red Tea is good for the liver...and I was just wondering if it's true?

I wihs you lots of success with Pharma Liv. Btw, how did you allergist determine you have liver problems? I find this fascinating! I wish my allergist knew about these things!

Thanks again for the info...hope you find the way to wellness through this!

Love,
Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Red tea for your liver?! new
      #148409 - 02/09/05 11:42 PM
Taylahmai

Hmnn haven't heard of rooibus tea...

Thanx for your best wishes I hope the pharma liv works too!

Well I get tested by my allergist once a month for my response to all foods, and for the condition of my system. He uses a saliva test, whereby an electrical current is passed through it and the reading he gets tells him whats going on in my body. Its kinda hard to explain.... I'll pick up a pamphlet next time I go into my health food store because it has a bit of a blurb about how his testing works.

I was skeptical at first, but everything he's said so far has been spot on, and I'm so much better healthwise. So what do you see your allergist for? Or more to the point how does he/ she help you?

Hope you're feeling better

T xx

--------------------

Butting in . . . . new
      #148484 - 02/10/05 07:13 AM
bellshel32

I asked my doctor about that. She said the studies were only for 6 months because the funding for studies stopped at that point. However, she said there was nothing to suggest you can't take Zelnorm long-term.

I got a large prescription for Zelnorm after sampling it, but I'm taking Miralax instead right now. It's working great, so I don't want to stop it at this time.

#148913 - 02/11/05 07:57 AM
bamagirl

As I was researching supplements, I found that calcium is sometimes used to treat insomnia. I forget exactly how it works, but I can tesitfy that it sure has helped me!! I was getting very little sleep, and IBS was kicking hard because of being so exhausted all the time...but calcium did the trick! I will look into splitting mine up after I finish my new bottle...maybe magnesium early and calcium at bedtime..

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 271 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 32126

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review