All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Re: How about more IF?... new
      #145634 - 02/02/05 07:42 AM
bellshel32

Reged: 10/28/04
Loc: Kansas, USA

I agree with you that just bluberries and raisins don't cut it. You could try the prune juice. Prunes and prune juice just give me gas-- no bm's. But they do work for some people.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#145640 - 02/02/05 07:51 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

All of us need to incorporate IF into our diets for health reasons, but it's especially important if you are C.

Magnesium?? new
      #145781 - 02/02/05 10:33 AM
ptillen

Reged: 06/27/04
Loc: Milwaukee WI

I'm kinda confused about magnesium intake. I was under the impression that it's not a beneficial thing, it's in fact a stimulant that can cause dependance.
Can anyone clarify? Does it have to do with the amount taken?? Or what???

#145814 - 02/02/05 11:07 AM
BetterLife

Reged: 01/30/05
Loc: CA, USA

Thanks so much for your helpful tips. I have taken and am taking magnesium as well as SFS, about 6-8 grams a day. It worked well in the beginning, then I slowly started to become C again. Not thinking of increasing the SFS, I went back to Heather's website and decided to make my diet a LOT more SF where as my diet before was much more IF. I was more C than before. I wasn't sure what I needed to change, what to increase or decrease, etc.. Also, coffee helped me a lot to be able to go in the morning, even though I was taking a lot of FS. When I stopped drinking coffee, there was no urge. How much magnesium do you take a day and how do you take them? I took them morning (500mg) and night (500mg). I don't really feel the effect if there is or not. And I noticed that when I take more than 2pills (500mg) at once, I get bloated. What sort of fruits work for you? I haven't noticed which works for me yet. For a while, I've been eating a lot of melons, apples, and sometimes strawberries. And also, sometimes I react really badly to the food I eat and can't figure out why. For example, when I had some chilli one night, I didn't react. (it wasn't a large sum) And then another day, I had some sort of chilli soup(??) and didn't know it was because it looked like vegetable soup but it was sorta oily and had chilli pepper and beans in them. I didn't eat that much of it either and thought that eating real chilli should have been worse?!?! But I was so bloated and constipated for 3 days...still am. I'm always trying to watch what I eat and stick to lowfat, good balanced meals...I still react. Any suggestions to anything above would be great. Thanks a lot.

--------------------
BetterLife

to betterlife regarding if/sf new
      #145897 - 02/02/05 01:48 PM
taroh73

Reged: 12/28/04
Loc: chicago, il

Hi! I am also a very stubborn C- and I am one of those people that finds the more IF (fruits, veggies) I eat, the more constipated I get. Makes no sense, but there it is. I have taken to eating a lot of bananas, mangoes and taters, and I eat babyfood spinach, greenbeans, squash, to get some other vitamins. If you are really sensitive like me, I suggest trying the babyfood. I need a really soft diet to keep my bowels moving, but it has really helped. I suggest if the IF fruits and veg aren't helping, really try eliminating them for awhile. I has been amazing for me, along with Zelnorm and Citrucel. Good luck!

Thanks Taroh73 but... new
      #145932 - 02/02/05 02:43 PM
BetterLife

Reged: 01/30/05
Loc: CA, USA

Thanks Taroh for your advice. I'm confused as to where my problem lies because when I started taking SFS, I was very regular, even though I was eating low SF and lots of fruits and veggies. Then I suddenly became irregular and became C again. So I thought maybe it was the low SF so I ate lots of them along with IF. I became more C. I don't know exactly what my problem is.

--------------------
BetterLife

Re: Thanks Taroh73 but... new
      #145938 - 02/02/05 02:55 PM
taroh73

Reged: 12/28/04
Loc: chicago, il

Have you tried temporarily eliminating all IF and just using the SF. I know how horrible it is to be so C... i've been there most of my adult life and have wanted to die from the physical agony of it. I'm so sorry you feel lousy. If you are in major discomfort it might be okay to use a gentle lax just to get a little relief.

It's a good idea... new
      #146212 - 02/03/05 07:48 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...to try JUST SF for a few days - this is Heather's breaking the cycle diet. Sometimes it's necessary to "reset" your digestive system before you start again with the veggies, etc.

Betterlife, finally back! new
      #147335 - 02/06/05 09:13 PM
Taylahmai

Reged: 11/03/04
Loc: Western Australia

Hi Betterlife, finally back online

Well it can be so frusturating when you can't work out what you should and shouldn't be doing with your diet. Believe me, I can sympathise there! I guess I just try and eat what is typically a 'healthy' diet. For example I try and have 2 fruit and 5 veg (do you have that campaign in the US?? maybe its just an Australian thing) every day. Along with at least one serve of rice, if not 2 or 3. So an example of my daily food intake would look like: brekkie - rice flakes cooked in rice milk with stewed strawberries and nectarines; lunch - tuna, tomato, avocado and spinach sandwich on rice bread; dinner - chicken, zucchini, pumpkin and carrot cooked in stock & served with brown rice. What fruit and veges you are able to have is an individual thing so requires a bit of experimenting. I try and have a real variety in the food I eat (eg always cook something different every day), as well as a variety in the fruit and veges I eat, and the way I eat them. I think if we starve our systems of variety we will end up not being able to tolerate much at all in the long run.

Now fruit and veg I don't eat: I've been told you should only eat melons on their own, and only after meals. I eat a lot of peaches, nectarines, apricots, mangoes and bananas. I eat small amounts of berries, apples and grapes and NO citrus fruits. Veges I don't eat include cucumber, cabbage and cauliflower. I am careful with nightshade veges such as tomato, capsicum and potato. I eat lots of spinach, sweet potato, pumpkin, beetroot, zucchini, broccoli.

This works for me, but again its an individual thing.

Now as for the magnesium, I take 2 tablets in the morning and 1 at night of a supplement that contains 500mg mag chloride, 380mg mag oxide and 100mg of mag amino acid chelate. The total elemental magnesium is 309mg per tablet. This works marvels for me, but I have heard people are hesitant about magnesium. As far as I'm concerned, if I have to take magnesium for the rest of my life because I'm dependent on it then so be it if it means I have daily BMs! I believe taking magnesium is so much better for you then relying on laxatives and harsh stimulants. You say you get bloated after taking 2 pills of mag? I haven't noticed anything like that, perhaps you should try spacing them out more?

Yet while I have reliable BMs it doesn't mean I know what my trigger foods are. I can get bloated at the drop of a hat and it won't matter what I've eaten. I went and saw my allergist today and he seems to think maybe my liver is affecting my bloating. So I'm taking a liver supplement and hopefully will see some improvement..... fingers crossed!

So much more to say, perhaps I'll send you an email? Please let me know if there's any questions I didn't answer for you.

Take care

T xx

--------------------
~ Live life, don't let life live you ~

Taylahmai - liver probs! new
      #147525 - 02/07/05 12:30 PM
nikjones_uk

Reged: 01/04/05

Hiya - I just read your post and you mention something about your allergist telling you that your liver may be affecting your bloating? I suffer with pain in my back when I have an attack, esp bloating and can't really describe why, as none of your digestive stuff is in that part of your body is it? Did he/she explain a bit more about that - I'd love to hear? Hope to hear back from ya! Nik xx

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5629 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 32555

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review