All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Stimulant??
      #145240 - 02/01/05 10:17 AM
BetterLife

Reged: 01/30/05
Loc: CA, USA

I used to drink coffee in the morning and found that it helped my C sometimes. Since I've read that it gives a short term gratification, but may worsen C, I decided to give it up. Fiber alone doesn't seem to help the push I need. Anyone have suggestions for non-irritant or no long term harming stimulant that I could use everyday? I feel that my BM still needs that push to get it out before it clumps up. Thanks.

--------------------
BetterLife

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Stimulant?? new
      #145246 - 02/01/05 10:27 AM
bellshel32

Reged: 10/28/04
Loc: Kansas, USA

I feel the same way if I'm not on a medication like Zelnorm or Miralax. Fiber alone just doesn't do enough for me. Right now I'm taking Miralax daily. Have you ever tried it? You do have to get a prescription for it.

ps I used to drink coffee too (still do on occasion). It would sometimes make me have a bm, but usually didn't. Now that I've been on Heather's diet, I notice that I tend to get a tummy ache after drinking coffee (but no bm).

#145289 - 02/01/05 12:55 PM
taroh73

Reged: 12/28/04
Loc: chicago, il

I am in exaclty the same boat........ I need that first cup of coffee to have a bm, and I get such relief from it that I can't imagine giving it up!

#145290 - 02/01/05 12:57 PM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Follow the diet, take a soluble fibre supplement like acacia, metamucil, etc. , drink LOTS of water and get some exercise daily and you will find your C gets alot better!!

How about more IF?... new
      #145318 - 02/01/05 02:10 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...safely of course? What about blueberries with morning oatmeal...or raisins. Relying on stimulants is very bad.

Re: How about more IF?... new
      #145336 - 02/01/05 02:46 PM
BetterLife

Linz, what is IF?? And will prune juice help? What else works besides stimulants and something safe to drink everyday? I need something stronger than just a few blueberries or raisins. Thanks.

--------------------
BetterLife

#145344 - 02/01/05 03:02 PM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

IF = insoluble fibre.

#145349 - 02/01/05 03:16 PM
BetterLife

Linz...How does IF help with the situation??? And doesn't that go against Heather's theories? I don't understand. I have noticed that SF does bulk up too much and make it more difficult for me to go.

--------------------
BetterLife

#145513 - 02/01/05 10:13 PM
Taylahmai

Reged: 11/03/04
Loc: Western Australia

Betterlife, I stopped eating fruit and veges when I first started Heathers diet because of the whole IF theory. However I became so C it was horrible! I really need a daily dose of fruit and veg, and luckily for me skin, skin off, raw or cooked, it doesn't really affect me either way. Cooked however seems to sit better in my tummy (I suffer from really bad bloating). Its a matter of finding out how much, and what sort of, fruit and veges work best for you. As for how IF helps people with C, I suppose its because we need the bulk to get our bowels working, as well as the vitamins and minerals (magnesium levels are directly linked to BMs)?

Heather's theory isn't to stop eating fruit and veg but to make sure you combine it with some soluble fibre like rice or pasta, or solube fibre fruit and veges. I find combining bananas and mango with other IF fruit works well, as does rice flakes cooked with rice milk and stewed fruit like nectarines. Combining sweet potatoe or pumpkin with other IF veges works well too. The thing to remember is that it takes a while for your BMs to respond to diet. Try increasing your fruit and vege intake for a week or so and see what happens.

As for SFS, I don't take one because I don't really need it, and when I did take one I got terribly bloated and gassy. I prefer to get my soluble fibre from food. But thats just me, I don't like relying on supplements, and in contrast LOTS of people benefit tremendously from SFS. The thing to remember is you really need to make sure you drink enough water, otherwise the SFS will only make you more C. I would suggest at least 2 - 3 litres a day or you're only going to make the C situation worse.

As for other supplements..... I hate the thought of relying on a concoction of supplements for life. Magnesium is the only one I use. I've tried aloe vera, and digestezy, which turned out to another laxative, but am very concerned about my body devloping a reliance on these things to go. For me, diet and lifestyle are much more sustainable ways of managing C.

But again everyones needs are different. If you do a search on supplements for C you should come up with a few ideas. Sometimes our systems just need a kick start, while we are improving our diet.

Good luck, let me know how you go

--------------------
~ Live life, don't let life live you ~

Been there, done that..... new
      #145633 - 02/02/05 07:39 AM
bellshel32

Reged: 10/28/04
Loc: Kansas, USA

Doctors have told me my whole life to "add more fiber" which I've done & continue to do. It simply hasn't worked for me. I do the oatmeal thing, fruit smoothies, etc, etc. That's why my doctors have recommended Miralax or Zelnorm in addition to SFS and IF.

I know it's hard for some people to understand (especially those who haven't been completely C their whole life), but that's okay. I'm totally used to it.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 702 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 32125

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review