Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Potatoes
      #144901 - 01/31/05 12:21 PM
MadameJoJo

Reged: 01/30/05
Loc: Purley, UK

Hi,

I'm new to this site and have found lots of interesting stuff.. I live in the UK and was diagnosed with IBS a few years ago! It comes and goes and I get worse symptoms when I am stressed or around my period.

I have one question, I was reading about soluble fiber and it said that potatoes were one of the foods that should help with IBS... Over the last few weeks I have cut out potatoes and bread from my diet and my symptoms have got alot better. Whenever I have potatoes with my main meal I am rushing to the toilet within minutes, I substituted potatoes with Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato for just over a week and not once was I rushing to the toilet after a meal.

Does anyone else have this same reaction? Or, could anyone tell me why this happens?

Many Thanks,
Jo

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Potatoes new
      #144914 - 01/31/05 01:13 PM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

That's wierd, never heard of that happening to anyone!

Do you put butter on your potatoes at all? That's the only thing I could think of.

Maybe someone else will have more information for you.

--------------------
- Jennifer

#144958 - 01/31/05 02:38 PM
MadameJoJo

Hi Jennifer,

I only put butter on them when I have them mashed, it is worse when I have them roasted! I roast them in light olive oil which I thought was better than sunflower or veg oil?!

I think I will continue to substitute them with sweet potatoes and squash, I find they are nicer anyway!

#144962 - 01/31/05 03:13 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Unless you're eating them with sour cream or something like that they should be fine. As Jennifer Rose said, no butter! Could be that you have a food sensitivity to them. I've never heard of anyone having a sensitivity to potatoes, but everyone is different!
AS for the breads - what kind were you eating? We recommend french bread here - it has no additives. Regular breads can contain amounts of dairy, and lots other things. Avoid whole wheat or whole grain or anything that says "whole " in it. They will definitely make your symptoms worse.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#144973 - 01/31/05 03:33 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Hey yeah, sweet potatoes and squash are better for you anyway! BTW Heather says canola oil (a type of veg oil) is sometimes easier for some people than olive oil. Just saying... but I am fine with olive oil as long as it is just a little. But as to allergies to potatoes I wonder if that could be since sweet potatoes don't bother you. Then again I suppose they might be in different families. I think potatoes are in the nightshade family with tomatoes but I don't know about sweet potatoes.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#145080 - 01/31/05 07:02 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Hi Jo!

My mom (who doesn't have IBS) thought that she was allergic to potatoes for a long time but recently she's found that she can eat them as long as she doesn't pair them with meat at a meal. I have no idea how to explain this but I just thought I'd share!

Pre-IBS diagnosis I thought I was allergic too as I'd get terrible stomach pains after eating them, so I'd stopped eating them (even though I loooooove potatoes). However after finding Heather's diet I've reintroduced them and they're a totally safe and reliable staple for me. Why? Because I stopped loading them with butter and oil and cheese the way I used to do! LOL

Cheers, Laurel.

#145085 - 01/31/05 07:12 PM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

I can't eat those either, for me mashed (with non fat butter spray and rice milk) is worse than roasted! It shows you how each one of us is so different!

#145112 - 01/31/05 09:07 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

Quote:

Hi Jennifer,

I only put butter on them when I have them mashed, it is worse when I have them roasted! I roast them in light olive oil which I thought was better than sunflower or veg oil?!

I think I will continue to substitute them with sweet potatoes and squash, I find they are nicer anyway!

How much oil are you using? Try simply microwaving a cut up plain potato, and eat it with ketchup. If you feel fine, it was the oil!

--------------------
IBS-C

#145130 - 02/01/05 02:27 AM
MadameJoJo

Thanks for all your advice, I haven't yet started on Heather's diet as I only ordered her book this week! I guess for the time being I will cut out potatoes until I know for sure how the diet works etc.. But yeah I really like the sweet potatoes and squash, it's like having chocolate for dinner

Jo x

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4006 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1917

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review