All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
The Makers Diet
      #144670 - 01/31/05 04:51 AM
XXXXX

Reged: 11/23/04
Loc: South East Texas

I am reading "The Makers Diet" right now and the first chapter is fascinating. The guy who wrote it had Chron's disease. I have several friends with GI issues that are on it and have said that it has made a huge difference in their life. I think it is worth taking a look into.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

No grains for a month?!?! new
      #144695 - 01/31/05 06:38 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Hi Tia

To be honest, this diet scares me. You have to restrict grains and starches from your diet for Phases 1-2, which together last 28 days, and it's not until 1 month after you start the program that you can start reintroducing them back in. I don't know about you, but with my IBS I would be positively ill. For me, Heather's diet WORKS. Soluble fiber works, and I know I wouldn't go trying anything else, especially nothing low-carb. I will admit I don't know very much about this diet, but a very restrictive month like that doesn't seem to healthy to me...

This diet was discussed briefly a little while a go on the boards as well link.

Laurel.

Re: The Makers Diet new
      #144833 - 01/31/05 09:39 AM
MissS

Reged: 02/11/04

Are you thinking of trying it, Tia? If so, let me know how it works for you. Of your friends that have tried this diet; what are their GI problems? I'm curious as to what troubles it helps.
Terri

TeeCee new
      #144900 - 01/31/05 12:19 PM
XXXXX

I am...it completely goes against much of what is in Heathers book and the EFI hasn't done much for me. You can actually drink dairy but the milk has to be "straight from the cow" and eggs and such have to be range free...the kind of stuff our grandparents ate.

I know of a person with Chron's and a person with IBS that have done VERY well on it. The premise is that you eat natural stuff before any processors get their hands on it. It won't be cheap. I think I will try it on myself and if I experience what it say it will I will try it on my entire family.

Considering Heathers diet doesn't work for me.... new
      #144902 - 01/31/05 12:23 PM
XXXXX

I have absolutely nothing to lose. I know of folks with Chron's and IBS follow this diet and they are doing very well. Take a look at the book the next time you are in a bookstore...you will be surprised as to the info that is there.

Re: The Makers Diet new
      #144907 - 01/31/05 12:42 PM
taroh73

Reged: 12/28/04
Loc: chicago, il

I have read the book/tried the diet. Unfortunately for most of us, this diet is filled w/your typical "healthy" foods- triggers- whole grains, fruits, veggies and protein. All of the things that send most of us reeling. It has a lot of good info, and I use some of the garden of life products (which are ridiculously expensive) but I don't recommend the diet for typical ibs'ers.

Re: TeeCee new
      #144915 - 01/31/05 01:17 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Tia's right in that it probably wouldn't be very good for 'typical' IBSers - read: those of us on this site who have found Heather's diet helpful. However your point about all natural foods is interesting. For example, a lot of people with IBS have found that cutting out preservatives, additives, and other not-natural foods can be really helpful, as well as switching to organic produce. For some people that is, their IBS is really triggered by nasty chemicals and stuff like that. Unfortunately, for others whole wheat bread and raw carrots can be a nasty culprit too - obviously very healthy foods. So, I'd say give Heather's diet a REAL HONEST try - simply because I and many others have had so much success with it - and if not then try the all natural route, either by doing this diet or maybe just cutting out artificial and very processed foods. I wish you the best of luck!

Cheers, Laurel.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1568 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1626

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review